Price Check JD 1026R

/ JD 1026R #1  

Brentwalker

Tractor
Z445
Got a price this weekend for a 1026R for $9,999.00.

First that seems like a decent price as far as what I know. This will be my first tractor ever so I have a lot to learn. I want a tiller attachment and maybe a mower od sorts for the 1 acre pasture, want a small disc'er because pasture seems real packed from horse. Not sure about what 3pt means or if I should care.

Second having a hard sell with my wife on the price vs amount of usage. Tried to tell her that I need it for the garden (getting rid of my walk behind tiller, should say man handler tiller), need it for pasture, which is for her horse, etc. any other suggestions would be appreciated. :)

I think they quoted the tiller for around $1500 but didn't write that down.

Comments?

/ JD 1026R #2  
What size is your entire property? What are your winters like? Snowblower needed? Loader?

/ JD 1026R #3  
Did you get a price on a 1023E? It's the same tractor with 2-1/2 less hp and no convenience package like tilt steering for about $1000-$1500 less...depending on who you talk to.

You won't notice 2-1/2 hp except in very extreme circumstances.

Also look at the Massey Ferguson GC2400 (JD 1023E equivalent) and GC2600 (JD 1026R equivalent). These are nice subcompacts also and will save you some money.

Whatever you choose be sure to get a front end loader (fel) with it. It's a big expense but you'll love it and would regret not having it later on.

As for the wife...it all depends on how smart she is. If she's a pretty smart lady you may have a long road to hoe talking her into a new tractor.

For me it was easy...Let's just say I married for looks and keep it at that.

Rod
Pamlico Lawn Care, LLC
Oriental, NC

Last edited:
   / JD 1026R #4  
If you don't know what 3pt means, you should definitely do a lot of reading on here before you buy. Sounds like you have a lot to learn in order to make an informed decision.

The 1026R, as I understand it, is very new and will likely command top dollar for the near term. It's a nice tractor, but consider: 2305, 4100, 2200 series. There are many many tractors to chose from, and they are most all quite good. Do your homework and you'll make a better purchase.

/ JD 1026R
I have approx two acres, house on one acre and horse on the other.

Rod, your comments made me laugh!

Yes I have lots to learn but I don't need to be an expert.

/ JD 1026R #6  
I have (read my wife and two girls) a couple of hay burners myself, and their arena does get packed. I drag the arena weekly, turn the manure piles for compost and move a lot of bales with my 135. Aside from that, clearing snow to the stables, hay barn and walkways between them in the winter months keeps the tractor pretty busy all year long.

/ JD 1026R #7  
As mentioned, the 1026R is a newly introduced model with what seems to be in pretty high demand, so there "may" not be much room for bargaining.

Some people, me included, are a little leery of a first year run.

There is a thread on the John Deere Forum on this tractor that may be of help.

While we really like our (wife's) BX2660, the JD1026R has some really nice features like position control 3PH. You will need a 3PH to really do much work.
http://www.tractorsmart.com/main/Tractor Three Point Lift Types.htm

Unless you are going to be doing a lot of MMM (Mid Mount Mower)/ lawn/yard work, I would look at a little bigger tractor such as a 2000 JD, B Series Kubota and equivalents in other brands. I would not rule out any make as Kioti/Bobcat, Cub Cadet etc. all make good tractors.

Remember at one time, none of us knew anything about tractors and some of us still don't know all that much. I grew up driving tractors and am still learning.

Good luck.

/ JD 1026R #8  
Sure would like to know where you got that quote cuz it's SUPER low!!!! I was just quoted 11,999.00$ just for the tractor today! And I have been doing LOTS of homework on these and comparing them to many others. Yup I still want the 1026R As far as " upgrading" to the 2000 series there really isn't much of an upgrade when you look at the specks. And actually the 1026 with an H120 loader (another 3,129.00$ btw) has more of a lift capacity than it's older brother the 2520. But of course I have to agree with the others. Do YOUR homework. Everybody needs tractors for different reasons and we all have different environments we will use them in.

/ JD 1026R #9  
As I read in your post, no your not an expert, and no I am not either, but when it comes to tractors you really need to care about what a 3 pt. is and what it's used for, after saying you want a tiller and a mower and disk, you can't run any of them without a 3 pt. hitch.
I am not bashing you and if you think I was I am truely sorry.

But please learn from all of us here and save yourself some $$$$, and make an informed choice.
david

/ JD 1026R #10  
Brentwalker said:
Got a price this weekend for a 1026R for $9,999.00.

Comments?

I think you're pulling our legs. No 25hp tractor from any color that is comparable is under 11k in SE MI. If you truly can buy it for that do it! At least if you don't like it you could sell it for 10,500.