Need help making a decision...Which one, what should I do?

/ Need help making a decision...Which one, what should I do? #1  

nyfarm777

Hello and good evening,

Thank you for viewing this thread. I had posted a thread in regards to purchasing a tractor about a month ago, and I have been doing my reseach because I am going to be in need of a tractor very soon to start a small farm in upstate NY and start growing some vegetables this coming season and would need the tractor to prepare and have the farmland ready for planting, etc. The amount of acreage we will start with will be 5-10 acres.

After doing some research and making comparisons, I have an idea to what I want but right now I don't know what to do because of how I am limited in funds to purchase the tractor I need. I do not want to be getting into any debt, not even for a tractor so that is something I will not like to consider, but I am in need of a tractor. I would like to know what I should consider or decide on and would appreciate the help with that.

I am interested in seeing if I should consider buying a used tractor from a dealer and getting it financed(if the debt is not too high again I would not like to get into debt), but would need to consider what is the maximum I would be spending for the tractor even if it is going to be financed. Another expense are the implements as well.

I was also considering buying a used inexpensive tractor (non dealer) but what makes me get the chills is of thinking I could buy the tractor for $7,000-$9,000 and not have a warranty and if it breaks down I lose my investment

After those two thoughts and ideas, I have been thinking in maybe just purchasing a walking tractor like a BCS that would cost me less than a compact tractor( if you disagree please tell me why) I am doing the math and I think the tractor I want with the implements I need for the BCS would come out to $6,500-$7,500.00 but I am again not sure if this is the route I should go.
I would buy the BCS 853 DIESEL to save me money and gas.
I would be buying it from: Tractor Prices
I am trying to keep costs down until I can start making some additional income on this property in small acreage farming.

Some of the implemts I would buy for the BCS tractor or any tractor would be:
1. Plow
2. Tiller
3. Brush Hog-really need this!!
4. generator (BCS has this, do compact tractors have this?)
5. wood chipper(BCS has this do compact tractors have this?)

I would appreciate any suggestions, advice and information you can give me.
Thank you again for your viewing this thread. Your time is greatly appreciated.

/ Need help making a decision...Which one, what should I do? #2  
I do believe you could get by with a 28 to 32 hp tractor, a walk behind tiller would wear it self out or put you in a early grave before you got though your first season. ( with doing a 5 acre truck garden)
I would say you need to start looking for farm auctions for implements but you are going to need a tractor for what you want to do.

You can find implements pretty cheep by watching creigs list.
I just sold my old 5' massey brush hog for $150.00 just to remove it from the property.
you do need to get yourself a good running tractor thats where your going to spend the most money, but if the need arises at least their's always someone looking for a tractor, which means you will get 90% of your money back.

/ Need help making a decision...Which one, what should I do? #3  
nyfarm,

For what you have listed I agree a 30hp used tractor would work well for those jobs. An older tractor with a good three point hitch and live or independent pto will work well for small truck farming. Here is a picture of a Deere 820 that I have which is 31 pto hp 1973 model year in good condition. It isn't for sale but I would think it is somewhere close to your price range and would price between $5500 and $7500 is my guess. This will handle a 72" tiller, field cultivator and brushhog well. It has good clearance for cultivating the plants and the wheel spacings are adjustable. There are lots of similar sized tractors that would work for you in your price range.

/ Need help making a decision...Which one, what should I do? #4  
For your small acreage I would look at Kubota or Kioti in the 27 - 30hp range. Definitely stay away from the cheap chinese tractors - Jinma, Nortrac & others. I would also look at what dealers you have nearby and consider there brand whether used or new.

/ Need help making a decision...Which one, what should I do? #5  
I don't want to rain on any body's parade...but can you make any kind of money off a 5-10 acre farm (unless you plan on growing pot)?

If this is supplemental income (meaning you have a full time job) and this will be a hobby farm...well, that's cool. Upstate NY would have short growing seasons, I should think.

I'm not a farmer and I can't grow plants for crap (Ol' "Thumbs of Death" they call me)...just offering an opinion...

/ Need help making a decision...Which one, what should I do? #6  
Some of the implemts I would buy for the BCS tractor or any tractor would be:
1. Plow
2. Tiller
3. Brush Hog-really need this!!
4. generator (BCS has this, do compact tractors have this?)
5. wood chipper(BCS has this do compact tractors have this?)

The answer to those two questions would be yes and yes.

/ Need help making a decision...Which one, what should I do? #7  
I don't want to rain on any body's parade...but can you make any kind of money off a 5-10 acre farm (unless you plan on growing pot)?

If this is supplemental income (meaning you have a full time job) and this will be a hobby farm...well, that's cool. Upstate NY would have short growing seasons, I should think.

I'm not a farmer and I can't grow plants for crap (Ol' "Thumbs of Death" they call me)...just offering an opinion...
ya 5 to 10 acre u can do many things i would go whit a old tractor in good shape some people out there does there routine checks and have very nice tractors.u have to think in the long run if your going to make the land bigger to cultuvate 1 day well u will have a good tractor to do it whit and again its a taste in choice u have many many many kinds jd is a good kind just a litle more expensive you have the case ,new holland ,many many other

/ Need help making a decision...Which one, what should I do? #8  
its a weard looking tractor but i guess it will do the trick plus it looks like it breaks in 2 can u put a mower deck under 1 too
here some pic first time i see 1 a bcs

Attachments

• img_1212731969_15525_1237516987_mod_542_294.jpg
    img_1212731969_15525_1237516987_mod_542_294.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 209
  • img_1212731969_15531_1237517488_mod_246_233.jpg
    img_1212731969_15531_1237517488_mod_246_233.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 129
   / Need help making a decision...Which one, what should I do? #9  
I do believe you could get by with a 28 to 32 hp tractor, a walk behind tiller would wear it self out or put you in a early grave before you got though your first season. ( with doing a 5 acre truck garden)
I would say you need to start looking for farm auctions for implements but you are going to need a tractor for what you want to do.

+1 this comment, and the others as well. If you're preparing land so you can do a 5-10 acre truck garden for fun, after about 2 days, a walk-behind will no longer be anything close to fun; if you're doing it to make money (think carefully about what Roy says here, by the way), the walk-behind will ensure you consume huge amounts of your most valuable resource, which is your own time and skill. The (comparatively) few bucks you save on buying something like that will cost you dearly in the long run.

Steve's comments about finding decent used equipment are likewise on the money. Take the time to learn how to judge good used equipment from worn-out stuff. If you're going to be using it to do this work, you'll need that knowledge anyways. Well cared for equipment will last a long, long time, and the major brands all make good products, so when buying used, it's not so much critical which brand you choose, but finding one in good condition.

/ Need help making a decision...Which one, what should I do?
Thank you very much everyone for your posts! Its really helping me make a better decision. Well in what some of you are saying in regards to expanding the operation, that is what I am thinking of doing. The property is an 80+ acreage parcel but I was thinking in starting in a small area (5-9 acres) and then expand the operation in coming years, etc.

After reading some posts though there is something that comes in to mind, AGAIN..after thinking this months ago which is MY TIME.
That is something that discourages me in buying a BCS walk behind tractor. Dont get me wrong I think they are good machines, but it is true in that my most valuable resource is time. I will be working and doing this on the side because I love doing this and because I am going to also do it for supplemental income, and in regards to time I know for sure a compact tractor would come in handy.

Now if I do consider a compact tractor, do you guys think I should consider looking into small compact tractors like Kubota models that are new through the dealers, or should I look into auctions, or should I just see in craigslist?

If I do consider auctions does anyone know what is the closest to or in Orange county NY(I would not mind traveling to PA or NJ)? Ussually what is the price difference or savings amount in purchasing at an auction?

Below are some ads, in the craigslist areas near me: North jersey, Hudson valley and PA. just to give you guys an idea.

1. Kubota compact tractor
2. Kubota L3400 4x4 loader tractor
3. Ford 1320 Diesel Four Wheel Drive Tractor With Loader

Thank you very much again for all the help and please continue helping me with your great posts!