Buying a new tractor, give me some advice!

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #1  

cowpatty

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM 454; Ford LGT 14D
I am looking at buying a new compact tractor. I have 22 acres to maintain and will be using it to brushhog, maintain a 1/4 mile drive, cleanup brush, and put in the occaisional deer plot. I am thinking that something in the 30 hp range will work for me. 4x4 and a loader are a must. I'd like a skid steer QA and a set of rear remotes would be nice. I dont nesessarily need HST but would prefer at least a shuttle. What brands and models would all recommend for the best value? Also, is there a certain time of year to really find a good deal?

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #2  
You're going to get a lot of responses...but first, I have a question...

How much do you want to spend? A dollar amount...not something nebulous.

That said, I'd recommend any of the 3x20 series John Deeres. They're 28 to about 37 PTO HP and should top out around $35K or so optioned out.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice!
I'd like to stay around 15,000.00. I like the LS 3010 but am unsure about how relatively new they are to the scene. I don't want to break the bank (new baby) and I want to get the most bang for my buck.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #4  
I'd like to stay around 15,000.00. I like the LS 3010 but am unsure about how relatively new they are to the scene. I don't want to break the bank (new baby) and I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Consider used machines too...
Since I know more about Deeres then any other brand, I'll stick with Deere (you'll get plenty of others with other brands ready to spend your money too!).
First, what tractor dealers are around the area? A good deal on any brand won't help much if you can't get it maintained or a ready parts source, if you can do your own work.
For $15K, you could probably find a nice 1999-2005 Deere 4310 or 4410 with a loader. You might find an early 3320 or 3520 for the same money. Another good choice would be a 990...very tough tractor, that one.

So, a good starting point would be reviewing what's available on www.machinefinder.com or www.tractorhouse.com. You can enter the criteria and your zip code and the results will be sorted by distance. These are all dealer machines, but you'll get an idea of what's available and the asking prices.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #5  
So, a good starting point would be reviewing what's available on Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder or Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota. You can enter the criteria and your zip code and the results will be sorted by distance. These are all dealer machines, but you'll get an idea of what's available and the asking prices.
Never offer to pay what they ask dicker, offer 85% then move up to 90% if you really what it. Sound about right Roy? Deere is nice but hold a lot of $$ value. Perhaps the Kiota Korea tractors may sell for less used. Do not get one more than a few years old. Back before 2000 some of the Korean tractors had repair problems. Talk around to find out.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #6  
So, a good starting point would be reviewing what's available on Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder or www.tractorhouse.com. You can enter the criteria and your zip code and the results will be sorted by distance. These are all dealer machines, but you'll get an idea of what's available and the asking prices.
Never offer to pay what they ask dicker, offer 85% then move up to 90% if you really what it. Sound about right Roy? Deere is nice but hold a lot of $$ value. Perhaps the Kiota Korea tractors may sell for less used. Do not get one more than a few years old. Back before 2000 some of the Korean tractors had repair problems. Talk around to find out.

Definitely be prepared to dicker...the sales guy want his commission, but the buyer wants to keep the money in his pocket...that's the American way, eh?
Now, I've purchased three Deere tractors over the last 10-12 years. Two of the machines were from the same dealer, the 3rd was an online sale.
I did dicker for the online sale (Deere 790 with 24 hours on it) and did OK. The prices at the local dealer were both quite fair and included a rear finishing mower, so I paid the asking price. One reason they were fair prices is that both were gear transmissions which can be a hard sell sometimes (but the 790 I traded for the 4400 sold within two weeks...so gears aren't that hard to sell).
As long as a buyer is happy with the deal...that's all that matters, right? Just don't post on TBN (after the purchase) and ask if you got a good deal...invariably, some guy will rain on your parade for no good reason.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #7  
Since you say that you'll be bush hogging, make sure you get a tractor with enough HP to run the bush hog. I've heard that the rule of thumb is 5-6HP for every foot that your bush hog is wide. I agree that a used tractor could save you some money if you are familiar with tractors. Hopefully you or someone you know will know what to check out before you purchase a used tractor. There are a few new compact tractors that might work for your in the 30-35HP range. Find a dealer near you that can provide service if you need it. Good luck in your quest.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice!
I already own most of my implements(sold my previous tractor). I run a 5' hog so a 30 hp tractor should be fine. I would really like a new tractor. I like the idea of knowing the full history of the unit and having a warranty. But buying a new tractor and staying under 15,000 limits my possibilities. I have not ruled out a slightly used machine

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #9  
For that kind of money new, with loader and 4wd, you'll be looking at gear drive tractors. I'd recommend either a JD 3005 or Kubota L3200. They are both well proven basic models, and could be had under $15K with a loader if you shop around.

Couple things to note about each, the JD has less loader capacity and a little less HP, but very proven design dating back to the '90s. The Kubota is also a well proven design, has a little more hp and loader capacity, but also doesn't have a live PTO. Also some complain about the 3pt hitch being jerky. Personally I'd be happy with either.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #10  
I have 28 acres with an 8 acre field and a 1/4 mile driveway. My land is very hilly and the drive way is up and down with a fairly steep drop at the road. I have a New Holland 35 HP 4 X 4 diesel compact. If your land is pretty flat, I'd say it's a good tractor. It has good power but It's wheel base is somewhat small and with the compacts you sit higher so they are tippy. If I had to do it over I would not have gotten the compact.