Tractor Sizing snowblowing, mowing, rototilling - smallish property

/ snowblowing, mowing, rototilling - smallish property #1  

rockandroller

Hi all, new to rural living, and tractors!

We've just moved from apartment living in a European megalopolis into a small log home on 8 acres of "mostly treed" property. It comes with about 100 feet of gravel driveway plus another 500 feet of gravel private lane that we'll need to keep cleared in the winter. Winters here (New Brunswick, Canada) promise to be SNOWY, apparently they had 3+ feet of snow last year...

Anyway, around the house there is maybe a quarter-acre of lawn altogether and we'll want to keep this nicely mowed, along with some of the lane frontage. A good portion of this lawn is of course right over the septic tank and field, and I'm wondering how big a lawn tractor is safe to drive over this?

Parts of the yard are a little tight, with some shrubberies here and there, so I'm imagining we want a small "garden tractor" to maneuver easily. But one that can have a pretty hefty snow-blower attached in winter, and preferably a winter-cab as well, as it gets very windy here (I don't relish being out there exposed to the minus 30 wind-chill while snow-blowing for an hour!)

To be honest, I have no idea how long it takes to snow-blow 100 feet of lane. Any hints about this would be appreciated!

Finally, next year we're going to have a half acre or so of the forest cleared for some substantial home gardening. So it would be great to be able to use a tractor for some tilling and such. Again, I have no idea if a power roto-tiller attachment is really worthwhile compared to the ordinary tiller blades or discs that you just drag along behind the tractor. I don't expect we'd ever want or need to cultivate more than an acre of gardens all told... but available choice of attachments will certainly factor into the purchase - very open to advice about whats most useful for small gardening (vegetables, mostly).

Right now, I'm imagining one of the moderately heavy-duty garden tractors (with mower deck) plus a big snow-blower plus a tiller (of some kind) plus maybe a box scraper and a utility trailer (for hauling firewood, of which there is lots to harvest here!) is probably a worthwhile investment for a property like this....

Any and all advice is gratefully received! :)

/ snowblowing, mowing, rototilling - smallish property #2  
Best mowing and snow blowing tractor: John deere X series. Short, powerful, very manueverable. They have loaders, but are limited. The tillers for these are good. It's really a CAT0 3ph. If used for tilling/loading, don't/can't get all-wheel steer option.

Best all purpose small tractor: Kubota BX series. Good mowers, fair loaders. Good at snowblowing and tilling. Some are CAT1s.

Me, I would get a cheap mower for the lawn and look for a slightly used 20 - 30 HP small, CAT1 tractor a little bigger than the BXs for the other stuff. Lots of choices here from all brands.

If only one for all your needs? Probably a BX, JD 1026R, or JD 2320.

/ snowblowing, mowing, rototilling - smallish property #3  
I would go with the BX. :thumbsup:

/ snowblowing, mowing, rototilling - smallish property #4  
What kind of budget?
Also, what kind of soil and grades? (how steep)

/ snowblowing, mowing, rototilling - smallish property #5  
If you truely only have a 1/4 acre or so to mow and stuff to mow around, I would get a good walk behind self propelled mower assuming you do not have physical limitations. You would likely need one anyway to trim. Then do as Gittyup suggests and get something in the small compact tractor size such as a Kubota B series (new or used) for the other jobs.

Last edited:
   / snowblowing, mowing, rototilling - smallish property #6  
if you are worried about compaction, etc.. get turf tires.. the bigger the better for weight distribution..

soundguy

/ snowblowing, mowing, rototilling - smallish property
Budget - we were hoping on $6000 or less, if we could get away with it. We're new in town and don't have any idea where to go for reliable used gear (also I don't have a lot of spare time to be a tractor mechanic!) so probably we'll have to go with a brand new machine.

Soil - I really don't know, haven't had time to put a shovel in it. :) The property is mainly treed with firs and pines, with some maples and birches. It's "mostly level", one little raveen down the end where a stream cuts across. All the lawn (and potential lawn) is pretty level ground.

I took a close look at the map, and it looks like we actually have about 3/4 acres of lawns, including the lane frontage.

/ snowblowing, mowing, rototilling - smallish property #8  
use a post hole digger to get a good core sample..

again.. if looking to savemoney, especially in order to get that new tractor.. 1000$ will likely get you that 700$ carport and a load of 57 stone you can pile up as flooring... use 1x6 fence boards as form boards to keep it contained on the sides.

cheap, easy, and you can change it any time you want to upgrade to concrete.. or you can move it.. etc.. etc.

I can tell you.. you will probably eventually want bigger.. so going small and mobile / non permanent may be an advantage right now.. plus it's cheaper.. :)

on my property i built a horse barn with 3 bay storage.. then added a detached garage with a tack room and 2 more bay storage. then added a leantoo with another 3 bays of storage.. then another leantoo with another 4 bays of storage, and finally built a metal building 53x31' and it's now full... ( 1 bay storage = approximately 1 tractor storage )

and now I got another tractor the other day... need to add on to the leantoo's i guess..

soundguy

/ snowblowing, mowing, rototilling - smallish property #9  
a Kubota t2080 gas lawn tractor with snowblower and 42" deck is $6400 new. IMHO this is not nearly enough tractor for the work you have to do. $6000 will get a decent small 2wd used tractor that would run a 3pth snowblower, tiller, mower etc. The 2wd is fine if you don't have any steep grades or heavy loader use.

/ snowblowing, mowing, rototilling - smallish property #10  
do you know how deeply the septic is buried? Someone else here may have an idea of how much load they can carry.