Buying Advice Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #1  

jpsheb

Tractor
1959 Ford 641, 2011 Kubota M6040
Hello All!

After two years of trying to get the heavy lifting and moving done with my old Ford 641, I have realized that I really need a much more reliable machine (99% vs. 50%). Also, while I have managed to get alot done with a chain, drawbar, and box-blade, I have a list a mile long of implement-chores waiting for an FEL, posthole digger, and even backhoe.

My work-list includes:
1.) General work on 2-acre homesite & 75-acre timberland.
2.) Remove & relocate topsoil for 500-1000 feet of driveway.
3.) Start a dug pond (it will be only 1/3-acre-ft at most) as a source of fill dirt for other areas.
4.) Dig gravel drainage pits and drain-field trenches.
5.) prepare site for sheds and outbuildings
6.) Dig postholes for roughly 2-miles of property line.
7.) Skid logs
8.) Load logs
9.) Handle being in the woods on fairly firm ground, and possibly getting into (& out of!) spongy bottom land.
10.) Use as all purpose tractor in the long run.
11.) Easy portability on 10k trailer behind F350.

So, in my search I managed to narrow it down to the following, in order of preference. I've tried to mention the pros & cons that I see so far:

1.) Kubota B3300SU: PAppears to be a good tractor with the features I want and without those I don't (e.g. mid-PTO). Light weight is a plus, but it is at the bottom end of digging capability with an FEL or BH.

2.) John Deere 3320: I ruled out the 3032e due to not being backhoe-ready, and have singled outthe 3320. I like the weight, lift capacity, and feel of it. however, financing is not as easy with Deere as with Kubota right now. Also, at roughly $5k more than the Kubota B3300SU, it doesn't feel like the bargain the Kub is.

3.) Kubota B3320: This one is my "reach". If it turns out that this is the level of capability I need, though, then I'll choose it in favor of the other two. It seems to have great FEL and backhoe capability with the larger implements available for it (BH92 & LA724, respectively), and for it's high price is still a good value due to it's size and muscle. However, the dealer suggested that the BH77 and LA514 were better matches for the implements. If this is the case, I'm not sure why I'd choose this one over the B3300SU. The major cons of this one are its weight, but only for portability issues, and cost--it puts a dent in the budget!

Can anyone give me their thoughts, suggestions, experiences? I'd like to decide this week and would appreciate any help I can get! It's a big step up for my from my old 641!

Thanks!

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #2  
The L3240 is a BIG jump up from the B3300 in size, work capacity, weight, etc. Another model to consider would be the L3200, which also takes the BH77 and a little bigger loader than the B3300.

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320
The L3240 is a BIG jump up from the B3300 in size, work capacity, weight, etc. Another model to consider would be the L3200, which also takes the BH77 and a little bigger loader than the B3300.

It is definitely a big jump. I know that must look kind of funny, kind of like someone looking at a Ford Ranger, Mazda B2200, and F350!

I arrived at it accidentally--I saw spec sheet that had it listed as ~2600-lb dry weight, rather than ~3600-lb. It looked like a lot of power in that weight and I was trying to keep the weight in the 2k to 3k range so that trailering the tractor + implements would never be an issue. This very minute I'm re-reading all the literature I have on the L3200 & L3800.

At least, the L3240 represents the top end of the size scale I'm looking for. Mostly, I wasnt the greatest value (which won't necessarly be at the bottom of the price scale).

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #4  
Just to throw another wrench into the works, anther model you might consider is the L4400. It is about the same weight and size as the L3240, but with more power and bigger tires. Also uses a loader similar in size to the LA724, and uses the BH92. They also cost about the same if not a little less than the L3240. It is built on the Grand L series chassis, just without some of the frills.

Some people report that the L3240 is a bit underpowered since it weighs as much as some of the larger tractors, but only has 32hp. I can only imagine this problem would be compounded by the large (and heavy) loader and BH options.

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #5  
Your list involves extensive ground work where a larger, heavier tractor would serve you well. The GL model will do enough more than the smaller models to more than justify the additional cost. Your work can indeed be done with the smaller tractors but something like the GL would be considerably more productive. If your budget and the financing allow for it, I'd urge you to aim for that one (or even larger).

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320
Thanks for the advice Grandad4. I really like the GL--from my point of view and in light of my current tractor, its a whole lot of machine. The only cons I have with it are cost and weight. Neither of which are necessarily deal killers. I really like the B3300SU too--alot of tractor for its size & price. As of yesterday, ruled out the Deere in favor of that one. The real question I have is how many of us regret having gotten something too big vs. regret getting something not more transportable?

Out of curiosity...where in NC are you? I'm outside of mebane myself.

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #7  
Not surprisingly, I agree with Grandad4 and would really be looking at the 3540; actually I would want something much bigger, but that's not what you asked.

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #8  
Not surprisingly, I agree with Grandad4 and would really be looking at the 3540; actually I would want something much bigger, but that's not what you asked.

Yep, I'm with TripleR here. When I looked at your to-do list I envisioned more tractor than you are looking at.

In the Kubota Grand series I'd be looking at an L4240 to get loader capacity and HP.

If I wasn't stuck on frills, I'd be looking at the MX5100HST.

But we all understand budget too.

I'm just afraid as you grow, your tractor is going to be for sale if you buy too small.

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #9  
I would not want a B series Kubota for what you are describing. I looked at the B series when first looking and thought man this is what I need, that was because I had nothing and it would have been great. I ended up with a GL3240 and really like it. It is just right for what I need and at times I wish it was a size or two bigger. Never have I wished it was smaller. And I only have 14 acres vs. your 77.

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #10  
i like em too