pricing for old broken dozer?

/ pricing for old broken dozer? #31  
I keep hearing about all the great deals out there on used equipment, but from what I'm seeing, it's the used equipment that is moving and the new stuff that is sitting around. There might be a small price drop in what is available, but I'm sure not seeing it.

Kyle makes a good point about deducting what it would cost to get it to the scap metal yard from what it would sell for. Something that big is going to cost as much to get it there as you might make off of it. I'll stick with $200 as what I'd pay for it.

Eddie

/ pricing for old broken dozer? #32  
I keep hearing about all the great deals out there on used equipment, but from what I'm seeing, it's the used equipment that is moving and the new stuff that is sitting around. There might be a small price drop in what is available, but I'm sure not seeing it.

Kyle makes a good point about deducting what it would cost to get it to the scap metal yard from what it would sell for. Something that big is going to cost as much to get it there as you might make off of it. I'll stick with $200 as what I'd pay for it.

Eddie

I've been finding the same on good usable used equipment... doesn't stay around long...

The junk and new stuff is easy to find...

/ pricing for old broken dozer?
I ultimately decided to scrap the idea of having my own dozer. Although it would pay for itself quickly, it just wasn't worth it to have an unreliable piece of equipment on the job for me. One breakdown could cost me more in property damage from the tow vehicles than my profit just trying to get it out of there. After reading some construction forums I've just decided to rent when needed and increase my price to cover the costs. I always fall into the trap of charging too little :(