Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half?

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #1  

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation

Seems they go relatively cheap, and if you are patient, you can get one at a military base near you.

Just wondering if anyone has one? Wondering what you use it for? Seems like it could be made into a really good municipal snow plow? Some have different purposes.

Would it be fun just to have? I was thinking another use could be for my daughter's 1st vehicle to learn to drive in. From a safety standpoint.:laughing:

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #2  
   / Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #3  
2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation

Seems they go relatively cheap, and if you are patient, you can get one at a military base near you.

Just wondering if anyone has one? Wondering what you use it for? Seems like it could be made into a really good municipal snow plow? Some have different purposes.

Would it be fun just to have? I was thinking another use could be for my daughter's 1st vehicle to learn to drive in. From a safety standpoint.:laughing:

Looks like a fun truck but my guess is that the cost of license tags and insurance will knock your socks off.

I sometimes dream of getting a Unimog 404--but I lie down until that feeling goes away.

However, last year I did splurge on a 2004 Isuzu NPR tilt cab stakebed (8 x 14 ft bed) with the 6.0L GMC LQ4 V-8 engine (gas), 4L80-E 4-speed automatic, 4.777 to 1 rear axle, 12000 lb GVWR, 18000 lb GCWR. Showing 49,500 miles, $11K on eBay from a local seller (so I was able to test drive it and get it home without paying freight charges). Downside is that the license and insurance costs are about double what I was paying on my 2001 F150.

DSCF0006 (Small).JPGDSCF0007 (Small).JPG

Use it to haul my little parade tractors (3500 lb max).

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #5  
How much cheap ?

Wright Patterson Airforce base (Dayton ,Ohio) sold three this summer with the average price less than $3000.00.

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #7  
I was all set to buy one about 10 years ago, but settled for this:

I test drove a couple of the 5 ton versions and thought they would require too much alteration work to make useable. Ride was miserable. 5 speed trans and low highway speed didn't make it any better.
No doubt it would off road well, but 80% of my use is on road, so a "civilian" 4x4 was enough.

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #8  
I sometimes dream of getting a Unimog 404--but I lie down until that feeling goes away.

There's a TBNer, Von, who restored a few Unimogs. I haven't seen any posts by him recently, but if you search (on TBN) by his screen name (Von), you'll find some interesting reading.

As far as prices for these surplus trucks...I've seen $5000 and up to about $20K. But they can be money pits unless you can do the maintenance required.
The full sized trucks don't do much for me, but the bobbed (shortened) trucks are kind of cool.

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #9  
My neighbor bought one in Norfolk, Va for $850. It was in great shape, with only a cracked windshield. It had just been taken out of service, and was roadworthy, except for the cracked windshield. He put a few hundred dollars into it doing odds and ends, and enjoyed it.
They are big, bumpy, noisy, and pretty useless unless you have a lot of snow to more, or troops to haul. The bed is high, and doesn't dump. If you have the money and enjoy neat pieces of equipment, then they are fun. If you want practical, functional, and something that you don't have to work on a lot, then buy something else.
Parts are still available, but they are maintenance machines.
I love when someone bobs the tail and removes one axle- they look awesome.
By the way, he enjoyed it for about two years, and then sold it for $3500. It was in excellent mechanical and physical condition with troop seats and the canvas cover on back, and perfect tires. I think that $3000 from a surplus sale is high.

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #10  
I'm like Roy....When I first saw on the internet they were auctioning Deuces , I thought , Yeah...I'll get one for sure they are cheap...Then reason grabbed me...First off I would need to get a CDL, the like someone else mentioned...Insurance, what do you think a set of tires goes for on one of those..8 tires...big...Yikes ! I am not a diesel mech...so there is that...I guess it was about 5 min. and my day dream bubble popped..LOL