looking for hill climbing tractor

/ looking for hill climbing tractor
Does anyone know how the Glide Steer and transmission in the GR2120 works in detail? I understand that the rear inner wheel releases, similar to a limited slip diff, except it is controlled by a rods that are attached to the front wheels. The greater the turn angle, the less "inner wheel traction" as they put it in their brochure. I guess it is a more controlled way of handling power distribution to the rear tires.

My question is what happens to the power at the front wheels? Are they full time or do they also release, thus having 1 rear wheel or two outer wheels driving?

It appears that the system is 4wd, and that only the inner rear wheel speed is modulated by these control arms, leaving the full power to all wheels all the time. If so, then the rear inner tire must not slip, but is instead given a proportional speed to turn based on the throw of the rod connected to the steering system. It sounds like a lot more "productive" and controlled drive system if this is how it works.

Maybe I answered my own question, but does anyone else have any input on additional inner workings of the GR2120. Does anyone see a flaw with it, compared to the all-wheel-steering of the Deere x729 or x749?

Attached below is a great tutorial on limited slip differentials. It's really old instructional film, but seems like a very simple and concise tutorial. Skip to 1:50, to skip the long intro and to get to the actual tutorial. Also, a cropped pic of the brochure showing how Kubota says the Glide Steer works.
How Differential Gear works (BEST Tutorial) - YouTube

Attachments

• glidesteer.jpg
    glidesteer.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 390
Maybe the GR series was given such a bad name because of the earlier model's cable actuated Glide Steer and transmission bushing issue and now that no one recommends it. I Googled "Kubota GR2120" and the third post down is "GR2110 - I'm not impressed. - Page 2 - TractorByNet.com". How would you like that if you were Kubota? They must've took note and made changes. But how is it now?

Are there wheel weights available for the kubota gr2120? I can't find any and don't know of universal wheel weights. I haven't purchased the mower yet, but I am finding it difficult to find many posts on the model within several forums. Even youtube is sparse on videos about the GR series.

/ looking for hill climbing tractor #33  
Instead of a ventrac, how about a Power-Trac. Power-trac.com. I have the top of the line slope machine but the simple 425 will handle your land quite well.

Carl

/ looking for hill climbing tractor #34  
Does anyone know how the Glide Steer and transmission in the GR2120 works in detail? I understand that the rear inner wheel releases, similar to a limited slip diff, except it is controlled by a rods that are attached to the front wheels. The greater the turn angle, the less "inner wheel traction" as they put it in their brochure. I guess it is a more controlled way of handling power distribution to the rear tires.

My question is what happens to the power at the front wheels? Are they full time or do they also release, thus having 1 rear wheel or two outer wheels driving?

It appears that the system is 4wd, and that only the inner rear wheel speed is modulated by these control arms, leaving the full power to all wheels all the time. If so, then the rear inner tire must not slip, but is instead given a proportional speed to turn based on the throw of the rod connected to the steering system. It sounds like a lot more "productive" and controlled drive system if this is how it works.

Maybe I answered my own question, but does anyone else have any input on additional inner workings of the GR2120. Does anyone see a flaw with it, compared to the all-wheel-steering of the Deere x729 or x749?

Attached below is a great tutorial on limited slip differentials. It's really old instructional film, but seems like a very simple and concise tutorial. Skip to 1:50, to skip the long intro and to get to the actual tutorial. Also, a cropped pic of the brochure showing how Kubota says the Glide Steer works.
How Differential Gear works (BEST Tutorial) - YouTube

The drive on the GR is actually very simple.As the front steering approaches 15 degrees the inside rear wheel clutch disengages completely making for sharp turns with no front end push.The front differential is a normal open carrier type so there's no plowing effect when turning sharp.

The new 20 series have several improvements over the older models.Don't know anything about the Deeres but I'm sure they are very nice.I'd like to try one on the 30 deg hill I mow to see how they compare.

I've got the early Gas model and well satisfied with it.Does everything I've ask it to do.The only thing I wish it had would be a two-speed hydro for extreme grunt work.

Mine does much more than just mow grass;

http://s498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/locknut-1/?start=20#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

Last edited:
   / looking for hill climbing tractor #35  
The issues with the previous glide steer makes me pretty uneasy. Kubota puts out a great product, but I would need them to show me that they stand behind that model. Maybe an increase in the warranty period? Or a longer transmission warranty on the glide steer system.

Good luck with your search. How many hours are on your lx?

Thanks for the help everyone. I believe today was the last time to mow my lawn with my dad's little mower. Afterwards, I headed to the dealer. Sliding and tearing up the hill while hanging off the side of the little lx178 is inefficient. I have read several forums, watched videos, and compared a lot of different tractors. Your input was greatly appreciated.

There are two ways to approach this yard's maintenance.

1. Get a machine that can handle the slope and get attachments to assist with landscaping needs. 1st year will take a lot of my own time and a capable machine is expensive. But, maintenance will be primarily mowing afterward. The attachments will be handy for any alterations later on.

2. Hire a crew to change the landscape. Plant alternative vegetation, which will eventually have continuous weeding issues on approximately a quarter acre. 1st year will not take much of my time, but is equally as expensive. I will still have to get a mower, and will still have a yard with slightly sloped areas to mow, just not 20+ degree slopes. I think maintaining the alternative vegetation can take an enormous amount time in future years.

I went with option 1. Its just as expensive and I can use the equipment to move and change some portions of the land myself. A lot of professional landscaping could be done with the price of a capable mower. "Its just grass", I keep telling myself.

I just put an order in on a Kubota GR2120, 54" deck with mulching kit. Hillside climbing and maneuverability are high priorities, and I think this machine will work well around my home. 60 month/zero percent financing helped seal the deal.

Some of you are probably saying, "but that machine doesn't have any attachments". True, and that's why I have to order a Johnny Bucket Jr. to help move all of the stone and soil around the property. There isn't enough land or projects to justify a Kubota BX or Deere 1000 series or the additional price of the Ventrac machine for the 1.1 acre lot. Luckily, I still can borrow a tractor with a real FEL if needed.

Well, that's it for now. I'll receive it next week after the dealer sets up the machine and levels the deck. On to JohnnyProducts.com to spec out the bucket.

/ looking for hill climbing tractor #37  
If you want 4ws but want to trim the price of a x7xx series look at the x534. Very capable for mowing if you don't need to run attachments and a couple thousand saved.

My x534 with 48" deck and ,power flow bagger, 47" snow blower, and suitcase weights was ~9k.

/ looking for hill climbing tractor #38  
Maybe the GR series was given such a bad name because of the earlier model's cable actuated Glide Steer and transmission bushing issue and now that no one recommends it. I Googled "Kubota GR2120" and the third post down is "GR2110 - I'm not impressed. - Page 2 - TractorByNet.com". How would you like that if you were Kubota? They must've took note and made changes. But how is it now?

Are there wheel weights available for the kubota gr2120? I can't find any and don't know of universal wheel weights. I haven't purchased the mower yet, but I am finding it difficult to find many posts on the model within several forums. Even youtube is sparse on videos about the GR series.

Std wheel weights will work ok.I opted to make my own brackets and use 10lb barbell weights.Also installed 1" wheel spacers which helps on side hill mowing and better stability with the heavy steel cab I built for it.Kubota said the spacers would be ok.

You're gonna have a blast with the new tractor and the JB bucket.Congrats:thumbsup:

GR2000 Cab Project pictures by locknut-1 - Photobucket

Wheel spacers! Well, I think I will modify the machine as necessary. You have me curious though. I currently mow side to side on the hills. It is less likely to tear the turf up with the light 2wd Deere. The Kubota is probably a different animal.

Bought the Johnny Bucket Jr. tonight. It cost over $1700 with the tooth bar, caddy arms, joystick harness, bucket doubler, and JB Jr.

This is a ridiculously expensive year for landscaping.

NEW TRACTOR DAY!

Kubota GR2120 has arrived! Even though it has down-poured twice in the last two days, the upper yard just had to be mowed. You know the feeling, and I lack the discipline. The steep bank of the front yard looked liked it shed the water enough to see how this thing handles.

It showed amazing grip, even on the wet 20+ degree bank. No slipping and gobs of oomph. Its the one area of the upper yard that that has a thick foundation of grass. The rest of the yard has damage from last year's tree removal and was used as a substitute parking lot for construction trailers and trucks while our "new" 100 year old house had a 7 month renovation completed upon our move in during February. Lets just say the rest of the upper yard is somewhat patchy with a few thin spots. My wife even had a go at the hill that she never attempted before, and was confident of controls and wore it with a smile. She's definitely not as adventurous on machines, but asked if she could take it for a run. I can't comment on cut as of yet because of the fairly high setting I had and the wet "patchy yard in progress". The real test will be the lower yard, which is substantially more healthy and relatively even. So far, I am happy with traction.

Spent the another hour and a half washing, cleaning, and tightening some bits on my dad's little Deere LX178 with 44" mulching deck. Hopefully return it as it was given. Also, I used a car soap to try to remove the slippery film on the foot rest area and seat of the GR2120. I am not used to just sitting squarely on a seat and having ground traction. Now I need seat traction. I'll don't know if I'll miss the LX178 much as the mow time was ridiculously fast with the new GR2120, 54" mulching deck. Technically it should be around 20% faster, but with the additional forward/reverse speeds and traction the approach to the yard can be modified with even further efficiency.

Hopefully it stays dry for a few days so I can tackle the hills posted previously. I just might put the camera on the tripod and post a video on YouTube for you all. I am waiting on the Johnny Bucket Jr. to arrive to work on other chores as well.

Also, stupid question, what's it called when the engine brake helps you slow down a hill. Before, I always broke traction and had to ride out the hill on the little LX178. The LX178 has a hydrostatic transmission, but the GR2120 seems to have complete control. Is it purely a matter of traction or what is specifically happening?

Still smiling on "new tractor day". Thanks again for your input.