Buying Advice Looking for discount John Deere parts house

/ Looking for discount John Deere parts house #1  

allen13331

Tractor
John Deere 870
I am looking for a good discount John Deere parts house. I do all my own repair on my tractors and attachments but I am getting tired of paying, what I consider to be, excessively expensive parts from my local dealer. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

/ Looking for discount John Deere parts house #2  
Discount"? "John Deere"...there's a contradiction!!

If you're a residential owner, stick with the factory stuff. Maintenance (other then greasing) isn't intensive...an oil filter once a year...air filter and hydraulic filters every couple years...just not that much money in the scheme of things.
As far as "hard parts" such as sheet metal, engine/transmission parts, unless you rebuild tractors for a living, you shouldn't need much at all. You'll find used parts at tractor salvage yards (good prices, but a gamble) and eBay for some things (but not so much of a discount). I've bought from three dealers locally and the prices are pretty comparable...driving distance makes a bit of a difference, that's all.

What kind of parts are you looking for? Your 870 has quite a few years on it...maybe a "parts" tractor is something to look for...

/ Looking for discount John Deere parts house #3  
Nothing Runs Like a Deere (tractor) and Nothing Stinks Like a John (buying parts). Love my 4300, hate buying factory parts but that's just how it is...

/ Looking for discount John Deere parts house #4  
Most all JD parts are x10 expensive. Some standard parts are easy to find elsewhere. All the bolts, nuts, washers. Most of the hydraulic fittings are standard. Hydraulic hoses and cylinders are easy to find or have made up. Even some of the metal parts are cheaper to have made then buy. The JD maintenance filter packs and their Plus-50 engine oil I think is a good value overall so I go with JD on these.

Your local JD parts dept can always offer you parts at less then MSRP so even your local dealer could become your discount source. Just a matter of negotiation ;)

/ Looking for discount John Deere parts house #5  
Most all JD parts are x10 expensive. Some standard parts are easy to find elsewhere. All the bolts, nuts, washers. Most of the hydraulic fittings are standard. Hydraulic hoses and cylinders are easy to find or have made up. Even some of the metal parts are cheaper to have made then buy. The JD maintenance filter packs and their Plus-50 engine oil I think is a good value overall so I go with JD on these.

Your local JD parts dept can always offer you parts at less then MSRP so even your local dealer could become your discount source. Just a matter of negotiation ;)

Good point on the common hardware.
And, although I never got a discount on parts per se, the dealer did transport the tractor (old 790 I owned a couple years back) for a repair...and did it at their cost. They also fixed a wiring harness problem rather then follow the factory method of replacing ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) the harness.
Allen13331(the OP) has an 870...they're pretty reliable so shouldn't be many parts required.

/ Looking for discount John Deere parts house #6  
When the starter tanked on my 2006, JD 4120, I went to the local dealer who offered me a brand new one for around $300. Needless to say, I did not buy it, not only due to the price, but the last thing I wanted to do was replace a part that failed prematurely with a duplicate replacement. I simply googled my model number and starter and several aftermarket sources popped up. I ended up getting a "Powerstrike" from Amazon for $108.00. the tractor never started so good as it does with that installed. Someday this winter, when things slow down, I will tear that factory-installed Bosh unit apart and see if I can rebuild it (they are quite simple). It will be nice to have a spare on my shelf. One good thing about JD, is there are so many of them built, especially the more popular models, that finding aftermarket parts is no problem. I will be dumbfounded if the aftermarket starter I paid 1/3 price for gives me more trouble than the factory installed unit.

/ Looking for discount John Deere parts house
RoyJackson said:
Discount"? "John Deere"...there's a contradiction!!

If you're a residential owner, stick with the factory stuff. Maintenance (other then greasing) isn't intensive...an oil filter once a year...air filter and hydraulic filters every couple years...just not that much money in the scheme of things.
As far as "hard parts" such as sheet metal, engine/transmission parts, unless you rebuild tractors for a living, you shouldn't need much at all. You'll find used parts at tractor salvage yards (good prices, but a gamble) and eBay for some things (but not so much of a discount). I've bought from three dealers locally and the prices are pretty comparable...driving distance makes a bit of a difference, that's all.

What kind of parts are you looking for? Your 870 has quite a few years on it...maybe a "parts" tractor is something to look for...

I just acquired a used JD 246 rotary broom that I converted over to use with my 870 and I will need to replace the metal brushes at some point. My local JD dealer wants about $550 for a new set. I would like to find another source ( maybe from another manufacturer) for them. I also have a Case and Kabota ( and just sold a Linkbelt), while the parts were not exactly cheap I could generally find a discount source. Maybe I am dreaming but it seems like there should be a source for discount JD parts.

/ Looking for discount John Deere parts house #8  
I just acquired a used JD 246 rotary broom that I converted over to use with my 870 and I will need to replace the metal brushes at some point. My local JD dealer wants about $550 for a new set. I would like to find another source ( maybe from another manufacturer) for them. I also have a Case and Kabota ( and just sold a Linkbelt), while the parts were not exactly cheap I could generally find a discount source. Maybe I am dreaming but it seems like there should be a source for discount JD parts.

Good luck...I looked at a 3PH broom on CL...wasn't a Deere unit, but I don't recall the manufacturer. Those replacement brooms are expensive no matter who sells 'em.

/ Looking for discount John Deere parts house #9  
Tisco and A&I are the best bet for aftermarket parts. Most dealers (including us) can get stuff from them for you. They do not sell direct. For REMAN items that starters, alternators, engine parts, etc they are a great option... as much as 70% off.

Deere obviously knew this, because they bought a controlling interest in A&I and use them for their rural parts stores thats service other brands. I'm not sure what thats done for the availability of parts for Deere's own stuff.