Introduction from Oregon

/ Introduction from Oregon #1  

7sam15

Tractor
Kubota 3830
Greetings,
I have been lurking for about three months and have finally decided to make my introductions. I am 35 years old, married and have finally decided to return to country living. I grew up on a cattle and horse farm until I was 15 years old and have missed it since I moved away from home.

My wife and I have just purchased 15 Acers in Clackamas County Oregon. The land has about 8 acres of Douglas fir timber with thick undergrowth, a creek, pond and about 5 acres of former pasture that has returned to a pretty wild state with tall grass, thick blackberry and 1 – 2 inch trees.

The property is currently zoned for timber deferral on about 6 acres. We will be increasing the timber density in a few of the lightly planted areas and cleaning a few additional plots for panting new trees. We also plan to reclaim at least four of the acres for pastureland in anticipation (in a few years) of two Morgan’s.

The land is really rough, with little access and no fencing. Obviously, there is a bunch of work too do to make it a productive and habitable piece of land. I found Tractor-by-Net while starting research for a new tractor. I am still up in the air about what I need. So far the front running tractor in a JD 4510 power-reversor 4wd with, MX5 brush hog, FEL, and post hole digger.

I look forward to becoming involved on the site as I learn more about tractors and identify projects around the property. You can all anticipate a bunch of future questions!

Thanks.
Colin--

/ Introduction from Oregon #2  
Welcome to TBN! As you've probably seen already, there is a lot of wisdom on this board.

Unfortunately, I know very little about the <font color="green">John Deere </font> tractors other than what I've read on this board and seen for myself. They look like excellent machines, and if my JD dealer had been a bit more personable, I might own a green tractor now, instead of my <font color="orange"> Kubota </font>.

I'm sure many on this board can help you out with some great suggestions.

Welcome,

~Rick

/ Introduction from Oregon #4  
Welcome Colin
I believe you will find the folks here to be a collection of the most knowledgable around with a very generous spirit of sharing their wisdom of experience.

Bob

/ Introduction from Oregon
Thanks for the welcome. My experience with local dealers has been totally opposite to yours. The NH and two JD dealers have been exceptional. The Kabota dealer won’t give me the time of day.

I have been by the shop twice and looked at tractors in the lot . No one came over. The last time I stood in the waiting room for about 15 minutes while the two salesmen chatted amongst themselves in the office. They didn’t even look up.

At the very least I want to pick up some brochures.

What kabota model matches the JD 4410 and 4510? Is the L series capatable?

Colin--

/ Introduction from Oregon #6  
welcome to the forum; although u will get a bunch of ans. u might want to check out the forum dedicated to the JD. very surprised u got that kind of treatment from the local kubota dealer, surprised u would get that kind of treatment form ANY dealer of any color. but it does happen. let us know what u decide on, and look forward to seeing u on again.

/ Introduction from Oregon #7  
Welcome to TBN!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( JD 4510 power-reversor 4wd with, MX5 brush hog, FEL, and post hole digger. )</font>

Good choice! Just for comparison, I would also get bids on the 4710 in the same configuration. You might also want to get bids from several dealers. That really helped me... Of course, if you are really sold on a certain dealer; work with them. Maybe posting the price would let others flag if its outa line...

It is funny how in differant areas, it might be blue, green, or orange that is priced over the rest, or the dealer that is not acceptable.

/ Introduction from Oregon #8  
Welcome to the TBN forums Colin. The 4510 and related attachments you've picked out is a fine tractor package. As Mike suggested, I'd also get quotes on the 4610 and the 4710. These are the same large frame chassis as the 4510 but with greater engine HP, PTO HP, and the 4710 has the greatest engine torque of the 4x10 series. Also, consider eHydro if you plan on doing a lot of FEL work and a good landscape rake for cleaning up all that debris.

I've owned a JD 4710 for almost a year now. Let me know if I can help you out with pricing out the tractor and related attachments as I did much of this myself last Spring. Look forward to hearing more on your final decision regarding a tractor purchase.

...Bob
JD4710

/ Introduction from Oregon #9  
Indeed, welcome to TBN. This is a great place to get information.

One thing I'd suggest is that you disqualify any dealer that isn't making you happy. If they aren't good before the sale I'd think they'll be awful afterwards, and you need good dealer support. I've got a Kubota which I'm very happy with, but I wouldn't recommend *any* tractor that didn't come from a good dealer.

I disqualified the New Holland tractor simply because the dealer didn't "float my boat". The JD dealer was good, but the tractor was a couple thousand more than the Kubota, so that made my decision. (Got myself a JD lawn tractor to make up for it - my family has always owned JDs.)

I'm a big fan of HST. Used both, and you can make a clutch work as well as HST (or whatever the manufacturer calls it), but HST is much easier. Anyway, I'd recommend getting that type of transmission unless absolute power is a requirement.

Sounds like you've done a good job researching. Good luck and let us know how things turn out...Chris

/ Introduction from Oregon #10  
Welcome!

If I can help in any way just ask.