Skid Steer Mulcher?

/ Skid Steer Mulcher? #1  

BethesdaEC

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I have 6 acres of thick woods and and underbrush, and I am beginning to think about a forestry mulcher. My thoughts are to buy one used for $50K use it for 6 months and then sell it again and hopeful break even on the deal or at least only be out a couple of thousand dollars. I am not going to do this right away, just think out loud right now. Maybe next fall or the following spring.

/ Skid Steer Mulcher? #2  
I'd bet you could hire it out and come out waaayyy ahead. Should not take more than a couple days for 6 acres. $120-$150/hr for a few hours or 50k out of pocket for used machine that you KNOW has been put through ****....

Just the way I see it.:confused:

/ Skid Steer Mulcher?
I'd bet you could hire it out and come out waaayyy ahead. Should not take more than a couple days for 6 acres. $120-$150/hr for a few hours or 50k out of pocket for used machine that you KNOW has been put through ****....

Just the way I see it.:confused:

Getting stuff like this done in Maryland is incredibly expensive, I would be surprised if I could get the job done for less than 15K. Also I have never owned or operated a skid steer, seems like a good way to play.

/ Skid Steer Mulcher? #4  
there are some posts on this type of machine on the construction equipment forum, The general theme is that these set ups break down a lot.

/ Skid Steer Mulcher? #5  
First off, If you just want to learn have at it. I really think that you may surprise yourself at the affordability of this (well, compared to 15k). I know stuff up north is higher, but that seems absurd.

/ Skid Steer Mulcher?
First off, If you just want to learn have at it. I really think that you may surprise yourself at the affordability of this (well, compared to 15k). I know stuff up north is higher, but that seems absurd.

I work with a guy who had an acre cleared and it cost him 18K. He had more work done than just a running a mulcher through the property but still very pricy. My wife brought in the local landscaping crew from the nursery to weed and do a couple of other things. It was 3 guys for 8 hours and it came to almost a $1000.

/ Skid Steer Mulcher? #7  
If I have 3 guys on a job all day, I'd be over 1K easy. Doesn't sound that far off to me... But if it is just me and a piece of equipment, I'd still be at that same 1k/day, but getting much more done.

Now, typically I only bring 60-75k worth of equipment to a job, so there is definitely room for adjustment up there, and the regional difference.

Just thinking out loud, not trying to swing you away from it. I'd LOVE to try one of those things out. Just not bad enough to pay for one!:D

/ Skid Steer Mulcher? #8  
I would get a couple of quotes. having run a couple different models I can tell you that 6 acres isn't all that much. a couple days at the most. depends on whats there and what you want to keep. also depends on how tight the trees that are staying are. If your dealing with alot of tight areas and not much maneuverability its going to take a little longer than if your going to end up with wide open areas and everything else gone. however if your thinking of decent sized trees 6 plus inches dbh a smaller machine may have troubles and be rather slow. also a used piece may be just that, a piece. most dont get sold unless someone is getting out of the business or they are problematic.

/ Skid Steer Mulcher?
I would get a couple of quotes. having run a couple different models I can tell you that 6 acres isn't all that much. a couple days at the most. depends on whats there and what you want to keep. also depends on how tight the trees that are staying are. If your dealing with alot of tight areas and not much maneuverability its going to take a little longer than if your going to end up with wide open areas and everything else gone. however if your thinking of decent sized trees 6 plus inches dbh a smaller machine may have troubles and be rather slow. also a used piece may be just that, a piece. most dont get sold unless someone is getting out of the business or they are problematic.

I did a little research, my county does have a forestry department. I will reach out to them, and see if they can provide some guidance. I have a couple of other money pits going right now, it is a year out.

/ Skid Steer Mulcher? #10  
In our area(northern NY) you can rent a SS with the forestry head for $2500/wk.If you have never run one;IT'S NOT FUN! A new unit a couple of years ago was $128,000.