Tractor Sizing New John Deere 2720

/ New John Deere 2720 #1  

Dirt_Works

Well Gents the Dirt_Works are going green. Just sold my last Kubota and ordered a new 2720 with all the trimmings! I believe that John Deere has the perfect package in this machine, weight, functionality, performance, and value. The last trait has kept me in the orange for many years because JD just was overpriced at every turn, but I think the ones in charge finally got the message.

Only delima I see now is, should I have bought more tractor I.E. a 3000 series because the financing is so good now. I only have 3 acres and I will be using the tractor to mow with and I did not want a small car to drive around. I believe this little unit will do everything I need it to.

does anyone think I should have gone with the 72'' implements vice the 60'' ones, the blade is here and it looks really small..............

Package ordered
2720 Tractor
200CX Loader/54'' bucket
62D MMM
I- Match
RB2060 blade with skid shoes
LR2060L Landscape rake

/ New John Deere 2720 #2  
Looks pretty good to me. I have a 3120 and my blade is way to large. Came with the tractor when I bought but I need to trim it down. With the wheel base on the 2720 being 65" if your dealer will give you a good deal to upgrade all to 72" implements I would, but it's not a huge deal. I would rather have them inside the wheel base than out. Sounds like a real nice machine. I wouldn't worry about not getting the 3000 series. I use mine for work around my house but if I had to mow my lawn with it I'd have trenches in my lawn because of the size. If I was using it as a mower as well I wouldn't have gotten a 3000. I-Match is also the greatest thing since sliced bread. Life saver for multiple attachments. I've owned Deere equipments since birth and have yet to have one disappoint me. Sure it won't let you down.

Ohh..... and when you get it post some pics!!!:thumbsup:

/ New John Deere 2720 #3  
I have a 60" rake and rearblade to use with my x749 and it works well enough. I think for most implements 60" is about right for your new 2720, that said you could easily handle a wider rake and rearblade for light work. Just to give you more reach with the blade when angled.

/ New John Deere 2720 #4  
jeninsph does have a good point that when you angle the blade it makes it even shorter yet. Not to say that it won't work, just be slightly smaller. I would upgrade on if you got a good deal and the dealer would just add on the price of the larger and keep the smaller.

/ New John Deere 2720 #5  
enjoy your new tractor.

/ New John Deere 2720 #6  
does anyone think I should have gone with the 72'' implements vice the 60'' ones, the blade is here and it looks really small..............

Absolutely! Dont forget when angled the blade looses overall width so a 60" will not cover your rear tire width when fully angled. Hence on my 2320 I pull a LR1072. Also make sure you get a ballast box and turf tires for your stated primary mowing needs.

A 2720 is a lot of tractor for 3 acres of primary mowing. :D

/ New John Deere 2720
Gents,
Thanks for all the advice, one thing my dealer brought up was the 72'' blade may not swivel all the way around without hitting the rear tires. Anyone have any insight on if that is the case?

I am keeping the R4 tires, I have had good luck with those on turf as long as you dont have 4X4 engaged and the ground is soft.

I have decided to just go with the mechanical lift for the mower deck that uses the 3pt hitch. I will never use the loader or any rear implements while mowing. Dealer tried talking me into the hydraulic lift with the height adjuster on the left side. I got to look at one installed on another tractor though and my read was it is not a well designed system for the cost of adding it. Any thoughts on this?

/ New John Deere 2720 #8  
Gents,
Thanks for all the advice, one thing my dealer brought up was the 72'' blade may not swivel all the way around without hitting the rear tires. Anyone have any insight on if that is the case?

I am keeping the R4 tires, I have had good luck with those on turf as long as you dont have 4X4 engaged and the ground is soft.

I have decided to just go with the mechanical lift for the mower deck that uses the 3pt hitch. I will never use the loader or any rear implements while mowing. Dealer tried talking me into the hydraulic lift with the height adjuster on the left side. I got to look at one installed on another tractor though and my read was it is not a well designed system for the cost of adding it. Any thoughts on this?

Not being able to swivel all the way around is nothing huge. Especially if you have the iMatch. Just unhook and swivel the top around. I think I swiveled it around once just to do it. You can grade just about as well both ways. Don't let that worry you.

/ New John Deere 2720 #9  
Congratulations!
I love my 2720 and am very happy with it. I still have some customizing to do on it but it is a great package.

I also have a 3320 which I like, although I do wish it was eHydro for loader work and because it's hard to jump from one tractor to the other when the controls are completely different. However, don't worry, it's way to big for 3 acres!!

/ New John Deere 2720 #10  
Gents,

I can confirm my LR1072 rake attached to my iMatch hitch on back of my 2320, easily swings completely around whilst connected. I do this whenever I want less aggressive raking as the tines facing backward, when you are going forward, float over the ground surface. Hence no need for guage wheels. Great for breaking up and spreading manure in the pasture and paddock without tearing up the ground. Great for raking sand in the arena and not going too deep below the sand surface. I also use my rake for light snowfalls so good to spin it around whenever you need to push snow backwards.