Tractor Sizing What size tractor do I need?

/ What size tractor do I need? #1  

RockyNY

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010CH
We're in the early stages of looking at compacts, and I'm looking for feedback on sizing. The heaviest usage of the tractor will be in the winter, to clear our parking lot, and to unload the occasional freight shipments that we get. The shipments we get weigh a maximum of 1500 lbs, so will be the minimum capability for the FEL.
Because the primary usage will be in the winter, a cab is in consideration. I know it adds quite a bit to the cost, and I've looked at aftermarket cabs but I'm not impressed by them. From what I've seen and read, factory cabs are the way to go.
Our dealer options are Mahindra, New Holland, Kioti, Kubota and of course JD. I've been researching mostly Mahindra and Kioti, as they seem to be the best value.
I've been looking at the 35-45hp range. We want something big enough to do the job properly, but have limited funds. I was really interested in the Mahindra 3616 cab model with FEL, but I'm a little worried that it might be too small. I like the 3535 (because of it's extra weight and lifting capacity) and the 4035, but they aren't available with a cab. The Kioti DK40SE HST CAB would be another option.
I guess my real question is this: Would a 36hp Mahindra 3616 be large enough to suit our needs? We could always load the tires and/or put chains on if traction is a problem. And the 1500 lbs would be close to the FEL's limit, especially considering that a load on pallet forks is front of the pins. (Although 1500lbs would be the exception rather than the norm. The majority of our shipments are <1000 lbs.) I'm also thinking bucket size, the 40hp's have 72" buckets vs 60" buckets on the 35 hp, would make a difference in snow clearing speed. I've never owned a tractor, so I'm kind of at a loss as the the capabilities of various models.

/ What size tractor do I need? #2  
Have you considered height and reach for the forks?:)

/ What size tractor do I need?
Have you considered height and reach for the forks?:)

Educate me. The lifting height will be off a regular semi trailer. (4-5'?) Are you talking about the rated capacity being at max height?

Of course there's probably a million other projects that we'll find for an FEL but I can't imagine needing to lift that much to max height very often.

/ What size tractor do I need? #4  
You need to factor at least 25% greater loader capacity at the pins vs. the weight at the center of a pallet. So for a 1500 lb pallet, the loader should be rated for at least 1875 lb at the pins. Just looking at the specs, I think you'll want the larger of the models mentioned for that reason.

But there is more than just being able to lift something with the FEL. The more tractor you have, the safer an operation like that will be. Remember that, unlike a forklift, the front axle of a tractor is on a pivot. It doesn't take much of an off center load or uneven surface to get the load tipping, especially when it's 4-5 ft off the ground. That's another reason to look at the larger models. Even with the larger machines, you'll want ballasted tires and either a heavy implement or a weight box of some kind on the back when doing heavy lifts with the FEL.

/ What size tractor do I need? #5  
My DK45 cab HST has unloaded several things from semis already. not an issue. Mine has a lifting capacity of about 2,700#. Remember if you want to lift 1500 allow another 400-500 for the fork attachment. I personally wouldnt lift 1500# with a set of bolt on forks anyways.

i simply love the factory cab...especially with winter work.

Also consider filling the rears with rimguard or other product. Mine added about 900# of rear end ballast doing so. Lifting heavy loader weights benifit from filled rear tires

Attachments

• forks on tractor.jpg
    forks on tractor.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 421
   / What size tractor do I need? #6  
I would say to look at either the Kioti DK40 or 45 and take a look at the Mahindra 5010. All with cabs, the Mahindra may actually be less $$$$. Without question, get the rear tires filled, no matter what tractor you get.
For sure get a set of quick attach forks.

Forget about the 3616, it is too small for what you really need. It is a great tractor, but not right for your purposes.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks for the input. We will definitely get a fork attachment. The 3616 being too small is pretty much in line with what I was thinking, I'd rather spend that kind of price, but don't want to get stuck with a machine that doesn't suit the purpose.

I would say to look at either the Kioti DK40 or 45 and take a look at the Mahindra 5010. All with cabs, the Mahindra may actually be less $$$$. Without question, get the rear tires filled, no matter what tractor you get.
For sure get a set of quick attach forks.

Forget about the 3616, it is too small for what you really need. It is a great tractor, but not right for your purposes.

Let us know what you end up doing.

I saw a recent post in the Mahindra forum regarding the 5010, someone had a quote with cab & FEL for around 26,500$. That sounds really cheap?!

/ What size tractor do I need? #9  
I saw a recent post in the Mahindra forum regarding the 5010, someone had a quote with cab & FEL for around 26,500$. That sounds really cheap?!

The 10 series tractors are their economy tractors. I think that the loader lifts 3100lbs at the pins. That would take care of your needs without a problem. As long as the tractor is not to big for you, you may want to consider it as an option. I would probably get the HST model myself.

Let us know what you end up doing and good luck.

/ What size tractor do I need? #10  
I second the HST suggestion, then almost anyone can drive it with a little training. Probably with loaded rear industrial tires a DK40/45/50 will handle a 1500lb pallet OK on level ground. My tractor with about 1500lbs of gravel in the bucket does get a bit light in the back end with loaded Ag tires, but Ind. tires do have more volume to put fluid in. Probably a rear counter weight on any tractor you get would be cheap insurance too against a tip over.