Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #11  
Re: Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCom

Murph,
I agree with everything you say except the last paragraph. I think the resale value of the Korean big three Kukje (Century-Branson), Kioti and Mahindra is yet to be established. Kioti is the only one that's been around for a while and I can tell you that resale as a percentage of original cost is up with the best of them. Look at the "Other Brands" forum that has turned into the "Mahindra" forum. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif If the people who have bought them remain as pleased as they are now and the word gets out, there is no reason for them to have a poor resale value. I just think the jury is still out and will remain out for some time.
Pacesetter

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #12  

Pacesetter300,

Your more than likely right. I am just going by the experience that I have. I actually test drove a Branson but unfortunately it was after I bought my New Holland. At that same dealer I saw some used Bransons and the price was way down from what I saw the "Big 3" used. Again because of their increasing popularity I am sure they will keep their resale.

Sonic I hope I didn't steer you wrong.

murph

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #13  
I have the same size property as you do, as well as garden and snow removal needs. I went with a Kubota BX2200 with a 60 inch mmm, FEL, 54 inch 3 pt snowblower, 48 inch tiller. The tractor does everything I could ask it to do. If cutting grass will be 90% of your use then this is the type of tractor will met your needs. Your choices include the BX 2200, BX 1800, and perhaps BX1500, JD 2210, and Massey GC 2300. Any of these tractors will do the job for you. For a few $$ more you could go with a Kubota 7500 or perhaps the Kioti CK20, or JD 4100 series, bigger tractor more $$ and more fun!

Remember half the fun is looking
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #14  
Hi TurboSonic,

Welcome to TBN. As you can tell by now everyone is eager to help you. The Sub-Compact's would most likely work well for you. That being said, my needs were about the same as yours when it comes to all the things you mentioned. There maybe be one good reason for you to think of a smaller compact tractor. Tree removal, and moving dirt. I also have quite a few trees on my property, and I'm glad I bought a TC21d for that reason alone. The size of a smaller compact makes it possible to do larger jobs, and still manuever around things when mowing. A smaller compact will cost you in the neighborhood of $15,000 to $20,000 US with a Mid or Rear Mount Mower, and Front End Loader. HP is also important, but should be dictated by how much you really want to spend. Good Luck.

Kent

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #15  
Hey Dave,

Now tell me honestly,does your S-CUT do everything you want it to without running out of power? The original question stated somethings that are I'd say out of the realm of a tractor size of the S-CUTs. The weight ,and corresponding performance just is not there for the uses described.

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #16  
Sub Compact: Kubota BX1800 2200, Deere 2210, MF GC2300 or small compact: Kubota B7500, B2410 Deere 4010, 4110, 4115, NH TC18, TC21D, TC24D will all serve you well.

Don't fret the horsepower. MY TC18 has 18HP, I mow with a 60" MMM. Up hill is no problem in low range.

Small compacts have larger loader capacity, three point lift, and ground clearance.

Unless you are getting a backhoe, forget about removing trees bigger than 3" diameter with your sub compact or small compact tractor. Yes they will drag logs around. But, they will not pull stumps out of the ground. Trees are a lot stronger than we give them credit for.

Time to pound the pavement. Go test drive the machines, get some quotes. Ask the dealer if they will drop a machine off at your property for a demo (some will). Especially helpfull if you can compare the sub & small at the same time.

After you get some seat time (and read Muhammad's book), go with your gut feel, you really can't make a bad decision.

Good luck!

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #17  
It sounds like a sub-compact will do everything you need it to do. There is nothing wrong with looking at a compact, though, and you may decide that it will suit your personal preferences better. As others have said, get out and drive the different tractors, get a feel for the size differences, handling, etc., and then make your decision. You have the benefit of not being able to go wrong with any of the tractors mentioned in previous posts.
Will

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #18  
HAZMAT; must agree with u on the stump pulling. my b2400 does all i ask EXCEPT rip out stumps, unless they are pretty well dead or u give them a hand with an ax or chain saw. now if it had a BH that would be different.

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #19  
Woodbeef,
I have found that I run out of traction before power. Honestly, yes a larger machine would be nice; but in many residential situations it is not practical. I have 5 acres of woods and lawn on a hill. I'd much rather have a large machine but I'd be barking up the trees and beating the grass to death, not to mention getting in tight spots. A big machine won't mow as well, chews up more garage space, and is costlier to purchase and maintain. I needed a machine that would do the majority of the chores associated with having a small plot without wrecking my already screwed up back, and be cost effective in performing those chores.
If I had need of a heavier, larger machine to routinely move large logs or was contemplating a major land clearing operation, you would be right. But my work, and probably most of what Turbosonic will want to do can be done with a subcut, and in some cases (like mowing) be done better with the subcut.
I understand that your situation is different than mine and that a subcut in your mind is a toy tractor. You are routinely doing heavier work that the subcut was not designed to do. But for a person in a residential setting wanting a good all around machine the subcut is in many minds the best compromise between size, cost, and utility. And for a small machine they do amazingly well.

Remember, Turbosonic has two acres not 300 and most of his uses will be residential in nature. Just remember the scale of the work he is wanting to accomplish.
just my $.02,
DaveL

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact

Hello everyone!

Thank all for your replies this is a great place! Well I drove by the JD dealer tonight and was able to see a 4010 in person! Nice! Althought it looks a bit big I still don't want to rule it out. I didn't see any 2210... I was hoping to see the difference between both of them. This weekend I will drive by Kubota and MF dealers.
After reading your comments, I'm thinking about going for a small compact. This was my initial choice when I first started looking into this and saw that for a few more 1000$ you can get a compact instead of a sub compact. The only thing I need to figure out now when I go for test drives is to make sure that it won't be too big to do the work I need to do on this property.
I'm mostly concerned about going around trees and such.
Thanks again!
Sylvain