New member looking for advice

/ New member looking for advice #21  
You do NOT want to go with a rear mount snow blower. Each length of that runway is a mile. According to my airport directory, you are 75 feet wide. You're looking at at least 10 miles of driving to clear the runway, and depending on how wide your snowblower is, that may not include clearing the necessary area along side the runway, let alone taxiways, ramp area, etc.

Blowing a 600 ft driveway going backwards is a pain in the neck (literally). Doing a runway that way is a workman's comp claim waiting to happen. It's also easier to maneuver and control running forward, so probably less chance of damaging things (runway lights, etc.)

Good luck with your decision

/ New member looking for advice
John thanks for your input. You are correct on the width of the runway at 75ft and the taxiways are 45ft wide. My intentions are to use the blower in conjunction with the plow ex) start making passes from the center line and once everything is berm-ed up on the sides blow the snow past the lights focusing on the taxiway junctions. The berms have been an issue in the past. Last year I had a Citation land but could not taxi all the way to the ramp due to the berms being to high for the low setting wings to pass over. I would most primarily be using the plow and have the blower as an option for clean up.

/ New member looking for advice #23  
A few thoughts here, I have been following this thread and feel the real problem is the expectations vs. the budget of $50,000. I would be careful of what I was expected to do especially with the expanded duties and new areas to maintain on this limited budget.

Seems that you need a good front plow, good front blower, large batwing mower, possibly a rear blade.

Suitable tractor(s).

Need a larger budget imo. Be careful not to make promises you can't keep and jeopardize your job. After all a new pickup today is almost 50k.

/ New member looking for advice #24  
Need a larger budget imo. Be careful not to make promises you can't keep and jeopardize your job. After all a new pickup today is almost 50k.

What have you been looking at? A half ton? :laughing: I just looked at 2 different trucks at the local Ford dealer and they had an 2011 F250 XLT 4x4 crew cab with Powerstroke marked down to 41K. Right next to it was a 2012 top of the line F350 4x4 crew cab Powerstroke already lifted :thumbdown: for a low low price of 72k. :shocked: I'm going to keep my 88 for awhile longer. Afterall it only has 300+k miles on it. ;)

/ New member looking for advice #25  
A front mounted blower is the way to go. A 12 foot rotary mower won't begin to dog a 65 horse machine. I would not recommend a rear mounted blower. You'll always be looking behind you.

/ New member looking for advice #26  
What have you been looking at? A half ton? :laughing: I just looked at 2 different trucks at the local Ford dealer and they had an 2011 F250 XLT 4x4 crew cab with Powerstroke marked down to 41K. Right next to it was a 2012 top of the line F350 4x4 crew cab Powerstroke already lifted :thumbdown: for a low low price of 72k. :shocked: I'm going to keep my 88 for awhile longer. Afterall it only has 300+k miles on it. ;)

My point exactly, most airports have several road vehicles that very little is required of from them yet this one purchase of a tractor has to be an all encompassing do all machine taking on addditional duties. The budget needs to be closer to $75K to 85K imo.

/ New member looking for advice #27  
My point exactly, most airports have several road vehicles that very little is required of from them yet this one purchase of a tractor has to be an all encompassing do all machine taking on addditional duties. The budget needs to be closer to $75K to 85K imo.

If you understand the budgets of many small airports, the reality is that kind of money is rarely in the budget. IF the airport is big enough to support commercial flights, or even a fairly busy charter service, the airport sponsors (whether municipal, county, or state) tend to be more interested in putting money into equipment such as this.

/ New member looking for advice
If you understand the budgets of many small airports, the reality is that kind of money is rarely in the budget. IF the airport is big enough to support commercial flights, or even a fairly busy charter service, the airport sponsors (whether municipal, county, or state) tend to be more interested in putting money into equipment such as this.

Well said John, I was very lucky to even have a budget for such a purchase.

/ New member looking for advice #29  
Being self employed means I am always on a budget so very familiar with all of that.

Just be careful what you are expected to do when it is all said and done. Don't wan't to make promises you can't keep.

/ New member looking for advice #30  
I think you should look used. $50k is not enough for everything you want. A set up that will do everything you are looking for simply does not come at that price. An airport is a lot of maintenance and I don't see how I could get a good enough tractor to take care of the entire airport for $50k.