Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    24
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tractor
    Mahindra 8560, Kubota B7610, and Grasshopper 428D

    Default New member looking for advice

    Note: I posted this in the new member forum, but figured I'd get a better response on this forum.

    Howdy, my name is Eric. I manage the Airport in Claremore, OK with a 5200 ft runway, parallel taxiway, 400k sq/ft apron sitting on about 520 ac. We have a grasshopper 428D, kubota B7610, and a Ford 3600 w 5ft cutter(going to sale in order to get more implements). In the past we have mowed around the buildings, ditches, and rwy/twy edges with our current equipment and contracted out the large areas to a local farmer. We have also relied on the City for snow removal which we were very low on the priority list. The industrial authority that oversees the airport also runs an industrial park w 125 ac which I will take over mowing next season.

    I recently got approval to purchase a tractor package including 4x4 cab tractor w bucket, 12ft cutter, and hyd adjust snow blade up to 50k. With that said, I have talked to many local dealers including NH, Mahindra, Kioti, Massy, and Kubota (which I am not happy with the service at the local dealer already). I am waiting to receive bids trough state purchasing contracts. The 1st one I've received is for a NH T4.75 cab w loader, power shuttle 38,184, Rhino TS12 Brush cutter 8,450, and workmaster 9ft hyd blade 4,250 for a total of 50,884. So far, from talking with a couple other sales reps they are not going to be able to match the 75Hp of the NH bid and are going to drop it down to 55 - 65 hp but in some cases getting more weight. My preference is to go with the more hp, but in moving snow the heaver tractor might perform better. Any thoughts or directions on the situation would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
    Eric

  2. #2
    Veteran Member deereman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,754
    Location
    canada
    Tractor
    1946 cockshutt 60

    Default Re: New member looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by kgcm View Post
    Note: I posted this in the new member forum, but figured I'd get a better response on this forum.

    Howdy, my name is Eric. I manage the Airport in Claremore, OK with a 5200 ft runway, parallel taxiway, 400k sq/ft apron sitting on about 520 ac. We have a grasshopper 428D, kubota B7610, and a Ford 3600 w 5ft cutter(going to sale in order to get more implements). In the past we have mowed around the buildings, ditches, and rwy/twy edges with our current equipment and contracted out the large areas to a local farmer. We have also relied on the City for snow removal which we were very low on the priority list. The industrial authority that oversees the airport also runs an industrial park w 125 ac which I will take over mowing next season.

    I recently got approval to purchase a tractor package including 4x4 cab tractor w bucket, 12ft cutter, and hyd adjust snow blade up to 50k. With that said, I have talked to many local dealers including NH, Mahindra, Kioti, Massy, and Kubota (which I am not happy with the service at the local dealer already). I am waiting to receive bids trough state purchasing contracts. The 1st one I've received is for a NH T4.75 cab w loader, power shuttle 38,184, Rhino TS12 Brush cutter 8,450, and workmaster 9ft hyd blade 4,250 for a total of 50,884. So far, from talking with a couple other sales reps they are not going to be able to match the 75Hp of the NH bid and are going to drop it down to 55 - 65 hp but in some cases getting more weight. My preference is to go with the more hp, but in moving snow the heaver tractor might perform better. Any thoughts or directions on the situation would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
    Eric
    What about getting a low hour used deere?
    Never carry gasoline in your car trunk. If you do, atleast use some sort of container.
    -red green

  3. #3
    Gold Member dmay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    440
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Tractor
    2010 JD2320

    Default Re: New member looking for advice

    The only PTO powered attachment you mentioned is your brush cutter. It requires a min 35 PTO HP. The NH T4.75 has 75/63 PTO HP. A tractor in 55-65 HP range would also have enough PTO power.

    Is the workmaster 9ft hyd blade a front or rear blade? A snowplow or snowblower on the front might be better for snow removal.
    .
    Darrell

    JD2320, 200CX, 53" Bucket, 54" QH SnowBlower, iMatch, Ballast Box, LR1072, RC2048, GM3060, 647 Tiller, SS1023B

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    24
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tractor
    Mahindra 8560, Kubota B7610, and Grasshopper 428D

    Default Re: New member looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by deereman75 View Post
    What about getting a low hour used deere?
    On my initial search, the local deere dealer seemed too pricey and I haven't looked into any used. The state purchasing contracts are for new equipment.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmay View Post
    The only PTO powered attachment you mentioned is your brush cutter. It requires a min 35 PTO HP. The NH T4.75 has 75/63 PTO HP. A tractor in 55-65 HP range would also have enough PTO power.

    Is the workmaster 9ft hyd blade a front or rear blade? A snowplow or snowblower on the front might be better for snow removal.
    The snow plow is a front mount. I haven't done much research on snowblowers. The runway is 75ft wide and the apron is 200ft wide, so I didn't think that the blower would be my best option. If your experience says different please enlighten me. On the higher hp, I would rather be at the top side on the recommended for the cutter rater than the minimum and wouldn't more hp be better for pushing snow with the plow? Just using logic rather than experience, that's why I am looking for input.

  5. #5
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,613
    Location
    NE USA
    Tractor
    JD LA115, WH 244, Troy Built Horse 8 HP

    Default Re: New member looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by kgcm View Post
    Note: I posted this in the new member forum, but figured I'd get a better response on this forum.

    Howdy, my name is Eric. I manage the Airport in Claremore, OK with a 5200 ft runway, parallel taxiway, 400k sq/ft apron sitting on about 520 ac. We have a grasshopper 428D, kubota B7610, and a Ford 3600 w 5ft cutter(going to sale in order to get more implements). In the past we have mowed around the buildings, ditches, and rwy/twy edges with our current equipment and contracted out the large areas to a local farmer. We have also relied on the City for snow removal which we were very low on the priority list. The industrial authority that oversees the airport also runs an industrial park w 125 ac which I will take over mowing next season.

    I recently got approval to purchase a tractor package including 4x4 cab tractor w bucket, 12ft cutter, and hyd adjust snow blade up to 50k. With that said, I have talked to many local dealers including NH, Mahindra, Kioti, Massy, and Kubota (which I am not happy with the service at the local dealer already). I am waiting to receive bids trough state purchasing contracts. The 1st one I've received is for a NH T4.75 cab w loader, power shuttle 38,184, Rhino TS12 Brush cutter 8,450, and workmaster 9ft hyd blade 4,250 for a total of 50,884. So far, from talking with a couple other sales reps they are not going to be able to match the 75Hp of the NH bid and are going to drop it down to 55 - 65 hp but in some cases getting more weight. My preference is to go with the more hp, but in moving snow the heaver tractor might perform better. Any thoughts or directions on the situation would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
    Eric
    Hello Eric,

    A snow caster will leave NO snow banks to freeze up and deal with snow accumulating over the bank edges.


    Your going to want an 8+ foot flail mower for all you plan on cutting as that will reduce your liability from thrown objects to nearly zero percent, all it takes is one rock hitting a car windshield, turbo prop or Lear to have bad day.

    A 55-65 horse prime mover will be plenty of power for an 8 foot flail mower from John Deere, Vrismo, or Ferrie.

    If you have the tires loaded with windshield washer fluid you will have plenty of traction for snow removal.

    The big decision is tire selection where an ag tire R1 will provide more traction without chains

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    24
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tractor
    Mahindra 8560, Kubota B7610, and Grasshopper 428D

    Default Re: New member looking for advice

    Update on a new bid for a Mahindra 8560 4wd Cab, 15ft cutter, and 8ft front mount hyd snow plow $52,350 and they might take it down to 50k with my trade in of the Ford 3600 and 5ft cutter. Thoughts?

  7. #7
    Gold Member dmay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    440
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Tractor
    2010 JD2320

    Default Re: New member looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by kgcm View Post
    The snow plow is a front mount. I haven't done much research on snowblowers. The runway is 75ft wide and the apron is 200ft wide, so I didn't think that the blower would be my best option. If your experience says different please enlighten me. On the higher hp, I would rather be at the top side on the recommended for the cutter rater than the minimum and wouldn't more hp be better for pushing snow with the plow? Just using logic rather than experience, that's why I am looking for input.
    Well you first stated you had a blade. Now you state it is a front mount snowplow. These are not the same so make sure you dont confuse the two. Is it truly a snowplow or just a blade? Snowplows will have a bottom cutting edge, multiple trip springs, skid shoes, maybe a top roll side chute addition. A blade is just a blade. More suited for dirt/gravel work.

    A snowplow pushes snow. In the end you have piles of snow you have to deal with? A snowblower blows the snow away. No piles of snow to deal with. Personally I think an airport needs both. So if you have a snowplow on the front add a snowblower on the rear.

    To push snow you need weight, moving mass and low end torque. Not HP.
    .
    Darrell

    JD2320, 200CX, 53" Bucket, 54" QH SnowBlower, iMatch, Ballast Box, LR1072, RC2048, GM3060, 647 Tiller, SS1023B

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    24
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tractor
    Mahindra 8560, Kubota B7610, and Grasshopper 428D

    Default Re: New member looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by dmay View Post
    Well you first stated you had a blade. Now you state it is a front mount snowplow. These are not the same so make sure you dont confuse the two. Is it truly a snowplow or just a blade? Snowplows will have a bottom cutting edge, multiple trip springs, skid shoes, maybe a top roll side chute addition. A blade is just a blade. More suited for dirt/gravel work.

    A snowplow pushes snow. In the end you have piles of snow you have to deal with? A snowblower blows the snow away. No piles of snow to deal with. Personally I think an airport needs both. So if you have a snowplow on the front add a snowblower on the rear.

    To push snow you need weight, moving mass and low end torque. Not HP.
    That was my fault on the terminology. I am sure about it being a snowplow w springs and shoes. I have a small rear mount angle blade that I use on the kubota which is pretty useless for moving snow. I will look into pricing on a lesser hp tractor w plow and a blower attachment. I really appreciate your input I would rather sound like a moron on here than in person at a dealer.

    Last winter the runway was closed 18 days due to 20+ inches of snow back to back and lack of clearing equipment. Now that I am able to purchase something I want to make sure I do it right so we can handle efficiently it for years to come.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,424
    Location
    Piedmont, NC
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

    Default Re: New member looking for advice

    Suggest you reconsider the snowblower. Nothing gets snow out of the way better. One that would fit tractors like this is in a whole different league from the little walk-behind models... check out the video:

    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlZLVcIm_Mc&feature=related]pronovost snowblower - YouTube[/ame]

    Much more costly than a blade, particularly when front mounted, but it would virtually eliminate having 4-6 ft. snowbanks piling up at the edge of your runway after a major storm (wouldn't that be a safety concern?). With the blade, you'll end up pushing the snow out into the grass to avoid the snowbanks, vastly increasing the area that must be cleared, and eventually making ruts and a mess out there.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    24
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tractor
    Mahindra 8560, Kubota B7610, and Grasshopper 428D

    Default Re: New member looking for advice

    Grandad4 that is an amazing piece of equipment. Thanks for the video. From everyone's input, it looks like I could probably get the lesser hp tractor such as 38pto hp(mahindra 5010) with a 12 ft brush cutter, 8ft snow plow, and a snow blower all within budget. I will check with my dealers and see what they can come up with.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. edit settings ... member type?!?!
    By schmism in forum News/Feedback
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-24-2011, 12:39 AM
  2. :) New TBN Jacket now up for auction for charity
    By tallyho8 in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 10:20 AM
  3. NEW! TBN Member of the Month: April, 2010
    By Muhammad in forum News/Feedback
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 11:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2017 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.