Tractor Sizing What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #11  
I'd look at something like a 5045e Deere or M5140 Kubota. The MX4700/5100 are too light for that kind of work IMO.

Definitely go with R1 tires. A lot of people suggest R4's for their durability, but in my experience traction is about 50% of what the R1's are. For logging you want all the traction you can get.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #12  
Have you thought about keeping your MF nice and shiney and buying a used skidder? The right machine for the job and when an older machine hits the "personal use" level in it's life, if kept in decent working order, they never get any lower in value and you should be able to re sell when you are done at your initial cost.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce.
My goal is to leave the chains on all winter and selective harvest mainly during the winter. In the non-frozen months only July and August are dry enough that I can get around without chewing things up. I don't want a cab because my barns are low and I want to keep her inside. I also just know that I will do something stupid and bust out glass so I opted for warm clothes no cab. (Cabs are expensive too.) I have considered tractors with hp from 45-75 including. I have driven JD (5055E), Kubota (MX5100), Kioti (DK45Se, DK55), Mahindra (5530 HST and PST), New Holland (Workmaster 55), MF (1660, 2615). I am going this weekend to look at Kubota 5140HD (thanks to TBN advice) and a JD 5075E. I am trying to line up a MF2650 but they are few and far between. I do like the bigger front tires for getting over stuff. I have found that I frequently know more about the individual tractors than the sales guys. I am not exactly the rainman of tractor data but I do my homework and have lucked into new sales people who just don't know their product yet. (Stuff the average TBNer knows at a glance of the literature.) If your don't know the answer don't volunteer that answer. I have also twice scheduled an appointment to drive a tractor 1-2 wks ahead of time, called the day before and then still had the tractor either literally not there or not driveable. I went back two weeks later and the not driveable tractor still was not driveable. I am learning to schedule appointments with owners or at least the senior sales people. My neighbor is an old farmer and tractor mechanic who has ridden shotgun for some of these adventures 30-45 minutes away and has been literally speechless when we got back in the truck. Trusting your dealer is important and may come down to be the deciding factor.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #14  
The Mahindra 5530 4WD doesn't come in a HST or PST, only available in a 8 speed syncro shuttle transmission. I think you must be looking at a 5035 model. If you are doing logging you should look at a 5530 4WD as I believe it is a much heavier tractor than most of the others you are looking at.

Oops. 5035 HST and PST is correct. They did not have a 5530.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #16  
Oops. 5035 HST and PST is correct. They did not have a 5530.

As much as I like the 5035 Mahindra, especially the PST, it is still probably considered a heavy compact. The 5530 is a utility size and much heavier, runs a fairly tall ag tire, and has a bunch of front axle articulation at the pivot. I think it would be better in the woods. Having said that, it's not shielded under the belly, so you would want to make a skid pan for it.

The more front axle pivot, the less one of the other tires will want to come off the ground and the less spinning if you get a front tire up on a stump or log, or down in a hole. I think it really makes a difference on rough wet ground.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #17  
Surgeon,

Side note. Are you running your own saw mill also?

If so, what equipment are you running for that?

I have seen "portable" saw mills in advertisements and thought about it...

Your place/plans sound fun!

Be well!
David

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #18  
I suggest the 5083E it is enough tractor to log with.

I am not running the mill. My neighbor is a top notch sawyer with a Woodmizer that he has tweaked considerably. Impressive machine. His level of efficiency is incredible both in time and minimal waste.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #20  
I am not running the mill. My neighbor is a top notch sawyer with a Woodmizer that he has tweaked considerably. Impressive machine. His level of efficiency is incredible both in time and minimal waste.

I had to read that twice... 1st time I thought you were describing a Lawyer who was an efficient Womanizer... :laughing:

I either need more coffee or better glasses :shocked:

Thanks,
David

Last edited: