Tractor Sizing What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #31  
Skimmed through and didn't see this question asked so I apologize in advance if it has but a HUGE question is how often do you plan on logging? If you are going to be a "hobby" logger you could get away with maybe a 4x20 sized Deere tractor. If you plan on doing this full time (or one like me to always overkill:laughing:) you would want more of a 5000 series Deere. Either way I would say my minimum would be a 4520 and would go to 5085E. Any tractors through that range would be excellent for your needs. I use the Deere's as an example as that is what I'm most familiar with but I would say any comparable through that size range as well.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #32  
Just some pics in the spirit of the thread. Not the greatest, never time to shoot while working, and never took the camera during our normal work in the snow.

Those are good pics, shows the conditions well.

OP doesn't want a cab, but I see you have one. I'm sure once you have one you would never get a primary tractor with out a cab in the future???

Yeah there's alot of glass and sure you might have to replace a piece sometime but I would think for the comfort it provides, it would be worth it.

Spring summer and fall could go with no cab, but for those long winters....
I seem to get more seat time in the winter myself, but still not enough to justify a cab yet for myself.

Surgeon, are you making any money on this logging operation?

JB

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #33  
I'd say you're looking at something around 40-50 hp, 4wd, and a winch for sure. Occasional logging use and taking your time, you could keep what you have now and simply add the winch.

If you're bent on new machinery, I'd say a MX5100 or L4400 Kubota with a 6500-8000 lb winch and good ice chains for the rear. Every other brand makes something similar, I only know Kubota.

Sean

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #34  
Have you thought of keeping your tractor, and getting an old skidder, like a john deere 440.
John-Deere-440B.jpg

You could get something like this for much less then a new tractor, and they come with a blade, and a giant winch. They would work better then almost any tractor, because they built for it. The john deere 440 has a 115 hp engine, and weighs 21,900lbs, a lot more then any tractor in your price range. They also have a lower center of gravity, so they wont tip over. They are articulated (sp), so they can weave through tight forrests easily. With 4wd, and big tractor tires, they will plow through deep mud, that a kubota would sink in. I will look up what they go for at auction, and get back to you.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #35  
I looked around a bit, and you can easly get one of these deeres for under $20k.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #36  
I looked around a bit, and you can easly get one of these deeres for under $20k.

WOW! That surprises me...:shocked:

Maybe that is my 2nd tractor (someday).

David

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #37  
Where are you in VT? I can show you my DK40se with Fransguard winch, and let you run it in the woods to give you an idea what you're getting into. Mine isn't for sale, but it might give you some perspective. If I had to do it all over again I'd go with a DK55, but I'd keep the r-4 tires (buy some ice pick chains). You should also budget in a grapple. You're going to have lots of slash to deal with and piling it up is good for wildlife, or burning, depending on your preference.

I like th hst, because it lets you concentrate on pulling logs, and operating the winch, and loader, etc. shifting is just something I wouldn't want to add to an already busy experience. On the downside, the HST doesn't have as much nut as a gear shift when pulling big hitches.

Another factor that you haven't mentioned but will need to be addressed is the need for enough tractor to clear a log landing, an old tricyle front or anythingless than a 40hp and yo'll be clearing a landing for about 20 years before you even get into the woods.

If you want to see a really nice set-up as far as armor etc go to Rick Wallace's website, he setup some DK's for utility company use, if I had had the money I would have had him armor plate mine!

No matter what only buy a tractor with a good dealer nearby!!!!

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #38  
I currently have 2 tractors, the Kubota L5030 still and a 100 hp MF5455, both have cabs and loaders. I'd like a 50-60 hp 4wd or 2wd open station with no loader for haying in the summer and to use in the woods with norse chains but the money tree dictates one of the other machines would have to go. The Kubota could go but I love that little thing.

I don't take the big tractor in the woods. The kubota is small enough as long as you remember to always close the doors there are no problems in the woods. If I was logging for weeks or months straight I would take the doors off like the IH 584 in the pics.

It is really nice in -30 to jump in the warm cab for 5 mins skidding a hitch out.

Those are good pics, shows the conditions well.

OP doesn't want a cab, but I see you have one. I'm sure once you have one you would never get a primary tractor with out a cab in the future???

Yeah there's alot of glass and sure you might have to replace a piece sometime but I would think for the comfort it provides, it would be worth it.

JB

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #39  
I think you mean trees bigger than in the NW? Most of Washington forest I've been in you could drive a D11 between the trees without clipping them. Back east here you can hardly walk through many areas but the trees don't get really big.

That's probably true for old growth forest but you should see some of the re-planted stuff. Between the down trees, fast growing existing trees, and dense underbrush you can't even see more than about 10 feet.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #40  
That's probably true for old growth forest but you should see some of the re-planted stuff. Between the down trees, fast growing existing trees, and dense underbrush you can't even see more than about 10 feet.

I agree, a lot of the bush in alberta is so thick, you can bairly walk through it.