Tractor Sizing What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #1  

Surgeon

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1428
I am logging about 60 acres in my spare time. My plan is to keep this tractor for a long time (will it to my children long). The property is fairly to very wet otherwise typical New England woods. Most of what I pull is a mix of soft and hardwoods (max DBH of 20 inches) to be milled for my restoring my barns, firewood and timber management. I have a MF1428v (28 hp hydro) with R4 tires with rear chains, FEL and a skidding plate that does an admirable job for what it is but I know I need something bigger for both safety and efficiency. I have been looking at all the colors for 6 months and think I have done my homework in terms of research. One of the reasons I have not pulled the trigger is that I am not confident that I know what I need. I do need a FEL for loader work around the barn and to move snow and therefore would like a shuttle shift or Hydro. I do need 4WD/MFWD given snow removal and how wet the property is.
SO..here are my questions:
What are people using in the woods?
What wheelbase?
What HP?
What weight?
R1, R1W, R4 with chains?
Metal fenders only or will a fiberglass tolerate the loose chain thwack.
Exposed drive shafts, hydraulic lines and diesel tanks need to be up-armored?
One of the tractors has only three reverse gears. Is that a problem?
I am buying a winch. How does that figure into any of the above?
I have too small a tractor but can I get too big a tractor?
I need the input from those of you in the know.
If there is something I am completely forgetting please tell me.
If some of these are idiotic concerns feel free to call me on it.
My deadline is December 31st as I have been threatened with marital counseling ("Will you just buy the **** tractor already").
I will let you know what I buy and of course I know I am required to post pictures.
Thanks in advance. -R

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #2  
Unless your woods are hilly, I would go with an old tricycle-front tractor for skidding. These are far more manuverable in the woods, with better forward visibility for avoiding stumps, etc. They are dangerous in hilly areas however. Something like a Farmall M or H would be perfect. I use an old Allis Chalmers model C, which is slightly smaller than the Farmall H. If you can swing it, a seperate tractor with a loader, should be 4wd with wide -front. Another big advantage of the tricycle-front tractor for log-skidding, is that they will do less damage to your woods, because they spread the load over a greater area. R4 tires are probably the worst selection for logging, they are designed to be used on hard ground and really limit what your tractor can pull on soft ground, typical of a forrest floor. The best tires for logging are R1's with extra plies. Special R1 tires are available that have more plies than R4's and they are best, but ordinary R1's are also significantly better than R4's despite slighly less puncture resistance. 4wd is really not that important in a skidding tractor, since most of your traction is developed by the rear axle after the weight of the log(s) is transferred. A 2wd will still get the logs out and do less damage to your woods in the process. I do all of my skidding during two months of late summer and 2 months of late winter when the ground is the hardest. You really have to look to find any ruts in my woods, even though I have a mucky, bottomland farm. Obviously, the loader tractor should be 4wd however. You can probably locate a good, functional, tricycle-front skidder tractor for under $1000. Spend the rest of your budget on your loader tractor. If you get the right equipment, logging can be lots of fun.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #3  
I'm no logger but I would say you need to get out of the CUT size, so that means 45+ HP, of course 4x4, Ag tires, Hydro or shuttle that's your choice, shuttle may be more durable, but hydro is nice.

You didn't mention a cab or not. I would want a cab for Vermont winters.

Your not pulling monster logs but you have a big property and could easily justify the larger tractor.

Brand Has alot to do with personal preference, mine would be JD. When I was tractor shopping I looked at all colors too, But JD had features the others did not and the cost was not much different. I have no regrets, and now I would start with JD if I were looking for a new machine, the others would have to have something very special to sway me over.

How big a factor is cost to you? can you easily afford such a machine.

Good luck, JB

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #4  
Are you clear cutting/ patch cutting or some type of selective harvest?

Are you willing to leave chains on all winter?

Are you logging outside of winter at all?

I have used 50 to 100 hp tractors for logging, both 4wd. The 50 was hst, the 60 hp gear, the 100 hp shuttle. 6500 lb on the 50 hp, 9000 lb on the 60 hp, 14,000 on the 100 hp.

I have used both the cable/ chain and winch methods.

A winch removes 90% of the beating a tractor takes logging if the operator is careful to build clean skid roads and you work in the winter. Winching packs the snow down to advance your skid trailer. Once they are established just using them will pack them down to keep it frozen deep.

With a winch, the tractor size just sets how big of hitch you can pull off the butt plate. My 50 hp could haul about 4 softwoods about 22" dbh and 50 ft tall on frozen trail. The 100 hp can double that. In deep wet spring snow the 50 hp could get down to only one log or driving then winching. The R4's need chains in wet snow or ice. The R1's perform very well. The R1W's are terrible in deep snow, expensive to replace if speared and require odd sized chains.

I never had a problem with fenders but I kept all brush off the skid trail. Chains pick it up and smash fenders. Friend clear 40 acres with his 100 hp new holland over 3 or 4 winters, the fenders were smashed, 3 back windows, 2 doors, bent steps, front fenders torn off, etc.

If you are going to log in melted seasons, you will be dealing with mud. I'd recommend a skidplate always in summer as snow covers a multitude of sins in the woods. A stump cut low and flush will be hidden all winter, in summer you find it is up about 10". Once you drive over it 30 times the ruts develop and it sticks up 16" and tears up the bottom of your tractor.

Plus in wet areas, you can sink your machine quickly laying all the tender bits onto the rocks stumps etc that you had lots of clearance over.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #5  
I would have to say in New England/Maritimes area, a tricycle tractor is about the worst option. Most of our wet woods is hump and valley original forest floor.

Unless your woods are hilly, I would go with an old tricycle-front tractor for skidding.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #6  
BTW clear or patch cutting, get the biggest machine you can afford. Selective cut, if you need to go longer than the winch cable, the smaller machines are a lot less work to push a road/path in to where you want to work.

Currently my 100 hp doesn't leave the fields when logging while my 50 hp ventures into the woods. I've even started using the ATV a bit for fire wood on the old horse logging trails on my property.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #7  
My wife asked why you didn't get a Morgan? i have seen articles about low impact logging that uses them.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #8  
For your use I would look into a Kioti DK55, a Kubota MX5100, Deere 5000 series tractors.

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #9  
A winch removes 90% of the beating a tractor takes logging if the operator is careful to build clean skid roads and you work in the winter. Winching packs the snow down to advance your skid trailer. Once they are established just using them will pack them down to keep it frozen deep.

Most important things. It does seem a shame to put a brand new cream puff in the woods, but if you take your time, and keep it clean as you go, no reason you couldn't log throughout more of the year, except the rain seasons. and less likely you'll abuse the machine.

JB

/ What do you use for logging? Prevent my divorce. #10  
I like my DK50 for similar tasks. I was mud bogging it tonight in some seriously slimy wet sloppy gooey mud and my R4's did totally fine.

They also roll over the incredible slash piles without punctures.

I will say, the stump grinder is not enough ballast though...

I also plan that my kids will take over the tractor some day...

Be well. Happy Logging/tractoring:thumbsup:
David

Attachments

• Gimpy Tractoring 1.jpg
    Gimpy Tractoring 1.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 795
  • Gimpy Tractoring 2.jpg
    Gimpy Tractoring 2.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 613
Last edited: