New member looking to get a Mahindra 3616

/ New member looking to get a Mahindra 3616 #21  
That's good to hear, I want something that will be good for atleast 10 years! It will be keep in my shop till I can get my add on built on the side of the shop. It will be a lean to type but fully covered and lights/ electricity.

Cool, :cool: have you made up your mind to go shuttle or HST? I went HST hoping to get my wife on it, but it hasn't happened yet. She just is not interested. :(

/ New member looking to get a Mahindra 3616
I drove the shuttle, seems simple enough. What is the real difference between the two

/ New member looking to get a Mahindra 3616 #23  
I drove the shuttle, seems simple enough. What is the real difference between the two

With a shuttle you shift gears and use a clutch. With the HST you just step on a pedal and go. Typically an HST trans is thought of as being easier and safer. I don't really agree with that, but that may be because I have so many different kinds of trannys that I use. With the 3616HST the only time that you step on the clutch is to start the engine, to change gear ranges (1,2or 3) and to engage and disengage the PTO. With a shuttle you use the clutch to start the tractor, to shift gears 1-4, change gear ranges 1-2. Typically it is thought that if a person is not really use to operating a tractor, that it is safer if they get an HST trans. I like mine, but I am not sold on it as so many are that it is the only way to go. With all the hills and trees that you have, it may be easier to do your work with an HST though.

The HST is 800 more and I am use to a standard shift vehicle. It seemed easy to me so I will probably stick with it.

I am also thinking I should switch to agg tires, I think they would do better on the hills than the short, wide cleats on the industrial tires.

Any input on that?

/ New member looking to get a Mahindra 3616 #26  
I am also thinking I should switch to agg tires, I think they would do better on the hills than the short, wide cleats on the industrial tires.

Any input on that?

The AGs will have more traction, but they will also get punctured a lot easier. The R4s are much, much tougher and carry the weight much better. Unless you really need to be running around in the mud :confused2: I don't see any good reason to get the AGs, but that is just me. When you are in 4x4 which is 99% of the time for me anyway, I haven't seen a need for AG tires. AG tires are just what they say, for Agricultural use. Are you farming? If you are, then for sure get the AGs, if not then the R4s would be MY choice. You will have plenty of traction with the R4s unless you are in mud. And if it is muddy, you probably really shouldn't be in it anyway.

This is how I view what tire to have.

Turf tires if your main purpose is working on lawns.
Agricultural tires if your main use is farming.
Industrial tires for everything else.

Again this is just my take on the tire controversy, others for sure DO NOT AGREE. ;)

/ New member looking to get a Mahindra 3616 #27  
The AGs will have more traction, but they will also get punctured a lot easier. The R4s are much, much tougher and carry the weight much better. Unless you really need to be running around in the mud :confused2: I don't see any good reason to get the AGs, but that is just me. When you are in 4x4 which is 99% of the time for me anyway, I haven't seen a need for AG tires. AG tires are just what they say, for Agricultural use. Are you farming? If you are, then for sure get the AGs, if not then the R4s would be MY choice. You will have plenty of traction with the R4s unless you are in mud. And if it is muddy, you probably really shouldn't be in it anyway.

Again this is just my take on the tire controversy, others for sure DO NOT AGREE. ;)

Chains fit em all:thumbsup:
R4 for strength and weight then add chains for the added traction
If you are worried about scuffing up the floor in you shed go get some horse mats or plywood and cut them down and lay them on your floor.:)

I was just thinking, with the hills I have ags would have been better. May not though.

I won't be in lots of mud, but wet hills

What tracktors would be compairable to the 3616, in size and price?

/ New member looking to get a Mahindra 3616 #30  

I have R4s on my 3120 and R1 ag on my 5410. Now let it be told that the 5410 is a much larger, heavier machine but in terms of performance to size I see little difference. The R4's do attract the mud a little more where the R1's fling the mud off but the R1's really mess up the lawn. Even just in 2x4 and cruising across the lawn with a little turn there are some nice roots. Don't see this in 4x4 with a load in the bucket with the 3120. That being said though don't drive the 5410 on the lawn and drive the 3120 on the lawn all the time so I would do the same thing over again. R1's in the mud won't collect as much mud so they will withhold the traction longer. If your going to be using it on the lawn at all though steer clear of the R1's. Be redoing your lawn every time you drive on it.