Bronze Member

Default Request advise on 1954 Ford 640 with loader please.

I would appreciate opinions on the value of a 1954 Ford 640. It isn't very nice to look at, paint spotted with rust, but not deep pitting or holes, a few dings and dents as well. It seems to run well and sounds good to my inexperianced ears. I drove it breifly and it seemed to have plenty of power. It has a loader and that worked quickly, in other words it didn't seem sluggish or strained. The PTO worked, clutch, breaks and stearing ( not easy to turn ) all seem OK. I Didn't see and signs of oil leaks or any unusual smoke or noises from anything. The tires are quite weathered however and that is my greatest concern.

The owner said he had it for a year, but it's just too big for his small yard - true. He claims he can't go less than $2700, down from his asking price of $3800.

What do you think, is that a reasonable price?

Thanks

Don

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Fords

Default Re: Request advise on 1954 Ford 640 with loader please.

In my opinion 2700 is definitely not out of the question, especially with a loader. What kind of a loader is it? If it looks like it is meant for the tractor and has 2 way cylinders, that would be a plus. One thing I always look at on those tractors (especially ones with loaders) is the front mount. It is the big piece of steel that holds the front axle onto the engine. I have seen a lot of them with cracks. Rear tires are about 350 each in my area.

Bronze Member

The loader did look like it went with the tractor. It has a nameplate attached but I didn't record the info. I'll do so if I go back and I'll check for a crack as well.
    Thanks!

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

I'm not sure why it is a good idea to buy tractor with FEL and no power steering. It couldn't be cheap enough to interest me.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Tractor
    fords

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    I'm not sure why it is a good idea to buy tractor with FEL and no power steering. It couldn't be cheap enough to interest me.
    i would have to agree your best bet is to run away and run away fast the front axles arn't designed to handle the weight of a loader. You could get away with a loader if it was a 1arm bandit style loader like soundguy has on most of his. but 2700 is way to high i got 2000 for a factor parts steering 851 with front pump loader that everything worked on

and if it is a 1954 model it is a naa model not a 600