Buying Advice Aurora Silent Diesel Generator

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #11  
In that size genny I have an Onan commercial quiet diesel 5500w that has been flawless for the last 8 years. The Onan uses a Kubota engine turning 2800 rpm's so it isn't necessary to choose between 1800 or 3600 rpm as drive systems can alter the ratios easily. Better to have the engine run at its ideal rpm for economy and power.

Generators are something I consider to be a long term investment, so I prefer buying one that has good backing and support, Cummins, Onan and Kubota are all here for the long haul.

15,000 hours is alot of generator run time for home use and I doubt you would ever get close to those hours. My concern would be whether or not you can get warranty work with a failure at 150 hours or 1500 hours. So I guess it is hard to know whether to buy something like the Aurora for $1700 or put that towards a more costly Onan unit. If you buy the Aurora I hope it works out for you.

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #13  
15,000 hours is alot of generator run time for home use and I doubt you would ever get close to those hours. My concern would be whether or not you can get warranty work with a failure at 150 hours or 1500 hours. So I guess it is hard to know whether to buy something like the Aurora for $1700 or put that towards a more costly Onan unit. If you buy the Aurora I hope it works out for you.

Realistically, if the generator is for emergency use then even 100hrs per year average would be relatively high. Maybe down south you need 24hr A/C but in New England we manage to use emergency power for only 4-6hrs per day without trouble. Seven days a year without grid power would seem unusual on average too. Maybe 50hrs a year is a better more realistic estimate. For off grid use to top up batteries etc in conjuction with solar or wind would probably use only 500hrs/yr assuming relatively efficient appliances etc (1.5 hrs/day is about what a sailboat genny runs).

Seems to me that most of us would be better off with gas or propane powered emergency generators as 100hrs/year would still mean about ten years from a 5000-10000W gas engine powered unit costing $500-$1000. Gotta have some other reason than just emergency home backup to justify a diesel unit at three or four times the cost. I'm guesstimating that the average gas/propane powered generator based on the Honda GX or clone lasts about ten years/1000-2000hrs with average maintenance. That does seem where the best bang for the buck is. I know gasoline has its hassles as does propane compared to diesel but still it seems most economical even factoring those things in to the equation. Off the grid is a different matter.

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator
I guess I did opened up a big can of worms! :confused2:
Glad to have gotten all the input and thoughs from everyone. Power where I live is pretty reliable and steady, but deep in the winter is when all the outage problems occur. The worst time for it to go out, especially when there are two kids in the house. I wanted a diesel genny to help suppliment solor/wind power later on down the road, but it looks like I would have to fork over a little more cash for a tired and proven unit. After some more brain scratching, it might be best to buy a comprable gas unit and save up for bigger size diesel unit. I guess anyone have any suggestion?

I usually have plenty of deisel around for my tractor....that was the other consideration for a diesel genny.

Let me know what you think.

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #15  
I guess I did opened up a big can of worms! :confused2:

I usually have plenty of deisel around for my tractor....that was the other consideration for a diesel genny.

Let me know what you think.

Why not a PTO genny?

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #16  
Air cooled engines that run are propane or natural gas are supposed to live longer than ones that use gasoline.

Would you consider a unit like that?

Have you considered a PTO generator for now, then consider something later if you go off the grid?

Generac has a model that is designed to backup wind solar systems. Maybe something like this would work for you.

A lot of people talk down about generac, but I have one with a ton of hours and I love it.

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #17  
Why not a PTO genny?

Not sure about the OP but one reason is that winter storms require both emergency power and snow removal. Both are needed first thing in the morning so it might be inconvenient. Agree though that for some people the PTO solution is a good one. Another downside is that even a cheap PTO generator with trailer etc will cost twice what a decent gas generator costs.

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator
I don't like the idea of running up the tractor hours to get electricity. If a genny fail, I still have my tractor. If my tractor fails I have no genny and no tractor. I like the LP standby gennys, but don't like the hassle of the LP man having to deliver LP when I run out. Looking for something that is cost effective really, that I can transition to off-grid power later. (Thinking big) I may never see that that day, but still dreaming of no power bill one day.

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #19  
I don't like the idea of running up the tractor hours to get electricity. If a genny fail, I still have my tractor. If my tractor fails I have no genny and no tractor. I like the LP standby gennys, but don't like the hassle of the LP man having to deliver LP when I run out. Looking for something that is cost effective really, that I can transition to off-grid power later. (Thinking big) I may never see that that day, but still dreaming of no power bill one day.

I think you will find that you would exchange a large power bill for a huge fuel bill. If you do this at all the way to do it is to sell power back to the grid up to the amount you use coming in. I like the concept but currently trying to generate your own power and or storing it is prohibitive in cost. If solar power becomes affordable the major utilities are in a better position to buy, install and distribute than individuals.. That is my take on it.:(

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #20  
I think you will find that you would exchange a large power bill for a huge fuel bill. If you do this at all the way to do it is to sell power back to the grid up to the amount you use coming in. I like the concept but currently trying to generate your own power and or storing it is prohibitive in cost. If solar power becomes affordable the major utilities are in a better position to buy, install and distribute than individuals.. That is my take on it.:(

I saw some figures on solar installation cost a few days ago. It was $5 / watt for home and I think $1 / watt for commercial. Since each home system is unique this makes sense. It looks like long term even the solar will be from central plants.