Buying Advice Aurora Silent Diesel Generator

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #31  
jwnge said:
Sorry for this question, but I have been wanting to ask a question but can't find where to start one. It is about a generator, so thought I would ask how on here. any help? I have in the past but just can't figure out how or something changed and I am not aware of it. How do I start a thread????? thanks, John

Go to a forum and on the left side just above the threads is a "New Thread" button. Click on that. Hope this helps.

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #32  
Im pretty conservative when the power goes out. I like to run my wood furnace blow, grid and freezer. Ill sit in the dark and play with the kids. Oh, I need to run a 1hp well pump every once in awhile. It 600ft deep.
I was looking at 3500 kW gas gennys, but when I saw the diesel gennys, I thought...more reliable. My concern is really that I haven't heard of this company and if anyone has had real experience with the Aurora Company and how their products stack up.

I would be interested in follow ups on the Aurora genset too, but maybe I am cynical about these as a well known US brand such as Onan is about $6000 roughly, besides labor what else was left out?

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #33  
jenkinsph said:
I would be interested in follow ups on the Aurora genset too, but maybe I am cynical about these as a well known US brand such as Onan is about $6000 roughly, besides labor what else was left out?

Quality control, local dealer support, factory technical support, marketing, advertising, regional repair and parts facilities. research and development, healthcare costs for company employees. Probably left out about $100 in higher quality parts too.

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #35  
Howdy,
You can have a large propane tank onsite. A 100 is the largest transportable (DOT Standards) that is allowed. The same thing goes for a Diesel Transfer tank in a Pickup truck (DOT standards says 109 gallons) If you have a propane genset, and only have a 100 gallon tank, you would need to disconnect it, drive somewhere, re-fill it and drive home. Most of the time when you need to run the generator, the roads might be impassible with trees and lines down. A larger onsite propane tank sounds great, until it runs out and the big propane delivery truck can not get to you.

Farm= tractor, and diesel. The diesel genset might cost more, but the same thing could be said about a diesel tractor. Cost more, but runs a long time.

Tip*
You said you have a 1hp pump sitting at 600ft. You will need at least a 6kw genset to crank that pump. A little honda 3000i will not do it.

Things to think about
Diesel generator= liquid cooled running at 1800rpm is the way to go. Yes, air cooled is cheaper, so is a genset running at 3600rpm.

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator
I kind of figured I need a 6kW genny to power that 1hp beast of a pump. I've looked and looked for people who has experience with theses Aurora Gennys. The company has bigger ones that look really nice, with a really nice price tag. They are 3 cyl diesel engines of various company, with output ranging from 9kW to 50kW...overkill for me. These unit start out at $4500, that a big difference from $1600. I've seen some other "Silent Diesel" gennys from other companies, for about the same price. Sam's Club had one for $1250 with about the same configuration. Suppositly the Aurora brand is better built with relatively the same parts. Aurora say it's UL, CSA, ETL, ABC, and 123 certified (joke for those who didn't get it). The genny also has an voltage regulator (don't know if any different from an inverter) for use with more sensitive electronics. The features goes on and on. But still no relevant opinions on these unit. If any you get a chance to go to thier website, take a look at what they have to say and post your opinion. As of right now a $4000 kick in the wallet would be too much. It would be about $2000 for the Silent Diesel unit shipped and all. Mad, sad, happy, let me know what you think. :thumbsup:

And we'll try not to beat this dead horse too much.

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #37  
   / Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #38  
I don't have one, but a friend of mine has the open Aurora diesel generator. I keep asking him how he likes it as I am still considering one. He has put over 300 hrs on it in the last 5 years, he bought it used off of Ebay for $200. He has 2 complaints, it is loud and he keeps forgetting to keep the battery charged so he has to use the pull rope to start it.
I want the enclosed "silent" diesel generator... but I have trouble justifying spending 3x what a good gas generator would cost me. Especially since we only loose power 2x a year and rarely for more than 3 hrs at a time. In the 10 years I have been here, we have only been out for a day or more once. We have wood heat so no issues there, but having a well and being without water for 3 days got ugly. I'm not going the PTO route as I want the wife to be able to fire it up when I am not there. Here is the other diesel generator I am considering, Yanmar powered, 1800rpm, but even more expensive so even harder to justify.
Slow-Turning 5 kW Yanmar Diesel Generator
But it is still cheaper than the Honda inverter I would like to get. Darn well pump is what is driving the bigger, more expensive generator for me. I am looking at a diesel generator due to the tractor and oil tank for the backup heat... I always have plenty of diesel fuel available.

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #39  
Here is the other diesel generator I am considering, Yanmar powered, 1800rpm, but even more expensive so even harder to justify.
But it is still cheaper than the Honda inverter I would like to get. Darn well pump is what is driving the bigger, more expensive generator for me. I am looking at a diesel generator due to the tractor and oil tank for the backup heat... I always have plenty of diesel fuel available.

Very nice looking unit but it seems more suited for off grid regular use than emergency use. That thing is clearly designed for 10,000hrs plus. I'm also drawn to the diesel on general principles but it is hard to justify for a few days or less a year. Those little Yamaha/Honda inverters that put out 1800-2000W are not enough for a well pump but would probably do fine for truly emergency use to keep the fridge and lights on. At close to a grand they are not cheap but boy are they quiet and easy to move around. We used a 6000W Generac to run well pumps and multiple refridgerators after Irene. Did a fine job though not the quietest thing around.

I'm pondering a 6500/7000W 16hp HF (shudder, cringe) generator to use at my home for welding and emergency back up. Hard to ignore the $499 cost with insider club pricing on an electric start Honda GX clone. I may do it and just run it a lot for the first three months under warranty to see if it breaks. They seem to get good reviews (or at least there are many good reviews posted on the HF site).

/ Aurora Silent Diesel Generator #40  

I just called this company cause I was curious what they meant by slow turning. They take that 10 hp motor which is designed to turn 3600 and reduce the speed to 2500 thru a belt system. That's where they get the fuel efficiency and long life. They build to order so it's a 4-5 week wait.
Nice unit if you only needed 4kw, real nice.

That slower turning (gear multiplying) is why it takes 10 hp to get the 4 kw continuous, (more than the standard 2hp/kw) they use that same motor to get 5 kw continuous with a direct drive 3600rpm set up for $2500.

JB