Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

Default Ag Tires Up Front

I'm still looking at new Masseys. Found a great deal on a 2615 4wd with ag tires all the way around. As I use the machine for finish mowing 70% of the time I'm concerned the ags will tear up the turf on turns. My current 231s has 4 rib tires up front and will tear up the grass if you don't slow way, way, way down. The ags on the rear have never been a problem.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH T1510 Hydro

Default Re: Ag Tires Up Front

Last year I bought a NH T1510 with Ag tires. I use this tractor to blow snow. I live in the snowbelt of WNY, so I don't mean inches, I mean feet. I also mow about 3 acres with the tractor. After I tore up my lawn / field something fierce trying to mow with loaded Ag tires, I switched to loaded R-4 tires. Not too bad, but to be honest, not too good on a side hill, or going backwards in the snow. Not terrible, but not great. Still not happy, I switched to loaded turf and never looked back. MUCH better on the lawn / filed I mow, and, I don't know just why, but turf tires are WAY better in the snow than the R-4 tires I had. People that doubt this have never tried them. I have the Titan multi trac turfs. I have other tractors with Ag tires, so I can compare. Ag's probably the best in loose snow, then turfs, then R-4's. On the lawn it's turf, R-4's then Ag. Good luck.

Tractor
    Kubota L4400

If your doing any type of mowing where appearance matters stay away from ag tires. You can get chains for those turf tires when you need them, and IMO the chains are easier to put on the turf tires.
    How do you like me now?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Fords

I have ags on all my tractors except one with r4s, but I could see where turfs with chains would dig better than anything the snow. Half of each cross link section is burried in the lugs of my ag tires at any given time. I don't use turfs because they aren't well suited for my uses, but they would be good for snow and mowing.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by wny770 View Post
    Last year I bought a NH T1510 with Ag tires. I use this tractor to blow snow. I live in the snowbelt of WNY, so I don't mean inches, I mean feet. I also mow about 3 acres with the tractor. After I tore up my lawn / field something fierce trying to mow with loaded Ag tires, I switched to loaded R-4 tires. Not too bad, but to be honest, not too good on a side hill, or going backwards in the snow. Not terrible, but not great. Still not happy, I switched to loaded turf and never looked back. MUCH better on the lawn / filed I mow, and, I don't know just why, but turf tires are WAY better in the snow than the R-4 tires I had. People that doubt this have never tried them. I have the Titan multi trac turfs. I have other tractors with Ag tires, so I can compare. Ag's probably the best in loose snow, then turfs, then R-4's. On the lawn it's turf, R-4's then Ag. Good luck.
    Turfs are better in snow because their cleats are spaced closer. Contrary to popular belief, it is not the cleats providing most of the traction but the snow between the cleats against the snow on the ground providing the most tractive force. Auto snow tires are also designed to do the same thing.

I don't base my front tire decisions on snow. It seems counter intuitive but most snow won't be the biggest steering challenge for the average tractor. For me it's muddy conditions. Unfortunately what works best in mud will be hard on grass.
    Ford 2600, Ford 4100, Ford 3550 Industrial Loader, 1949 Case VAC, 1951 Case VAC, 7 assorted Gravely L Models, Gravely Commercial 10, Gravely 524, Gravely 5460...