some compliments but mostly a call for help

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #11  
You are getting some good answers on your questions- one point about the garage thing - measure your exhaust (if it is vertical) I was surprised when my Massey exhaust stack fit in my garage by a whopping 2 inches. Yikes!

Like everyone says, 4wd hydro for your uses. Definately keep the kids away, you will be amazed how quickly things can go wrong sitting up on a tractor. One big rut and you will be hanging on with both hands. Be especially careful on uneven ground. I have recently been working on smoothing an old bank - only 2ft drop, but several times I have slid around a bit in the loose mud and suddenly I am sideways to the incline....2ft is all it takes sometimes!

Theft - remove the keys (i never do), and consider running a heavy chain/lock through the wheels around a post or something. Enough hassle to keep a teenager from even trying. Most important, add it to your homeowner's policy if you can.

Be careful and have fun.

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help
As I expected, your responses were more helpful than I thought (and I had high expectations). I had not considered the length of the garage to be a potential problem, nor had I considered the height of the backhoe. I do have a lot of ruts, so I have to be extra careful avoiding tilt. I know to keep my son indoors when I’m on the tractor, but some messages bear repeating again and again. A local farmer hays the meadows and grazes some cows in the pasture (he’s grateful for the hay (especially this winter)), so mowing is not a huge concern. I might want to bush hog (sp?) some of the pasture, but it will be small pieces for particular purposes (swingset or picnic area). So I’m thinking that I could get the rotary cutter instead of the log splitter (free-standing log splitter is better and cheaper). When I get the tractor, I will keep the bucket and the towing chains low, watch the hills and ruts, go slow, and know where the children (and dogs) are. I am visiting the JD dealer this weekend; next weekend is Orange and Blue. Those are the closest dealers (with the exception of Cub Cadet, but someone I know had a problem with Cub Cadet), so those are the ones I am considering. Nothing wrong with any of those brands, and I would rather buy within a 25 mile radius. One more question before I go and talk to the sharps: is the lingo on this site particular to this site or is it universal tractor-speak? I am not going to pretend to know more than I know, but I don’t want them to think that I am a total rube.

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( is the lingo on this site particular to this site or is it universal tractor-speak? )</font>

OH, yeah, we talk good.

Knowing the talk is important, and you will be amazed how many times someone uses a term incorrectly and it is corrected in such a way that you don't end up feeling like an idiot.

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #14  
Some more thoughts for you while shopping. My dealer reinforced and welded 3 hooks on the top of my loader bucket for free. I use those hooks all the time. I never would have thought of it if the dealer hadn't offered, to seal the deal.

Greg

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #15  
I've found the lingo to be the same, but maybe not the acronyms. Example, ask for a loader not a FEL. Or a Mid Mount Mower, not MMM or a Back Hoe, not BH. Hydrostatic Transmission (Hydro for short) not HST. You get the picture.

ROPS (roll over protection system) is the one thing that does go by the acronym. You may want to consider a folding ROPS - sometimes standard, sometimes an "option" depends on model & mfg.

Good luck & happy shopping. Don't be afraid to use the machines on the dealer's lot. Tell him you want to play some. He will show you how to safely operate the machine.

Be sure to post your quotes, we can help determine if you are getting a "good" price.

Am I dreaming to think that I can do this in the $25M range?

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #17  
billfires,
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My New Holland just fits under an 8 foot door. )</font>

An 8 foot door isn't standard in our neck of the woods, 7' is more typical, unless it's a raised ranch and many of those have a 6 1/2' door. Good point to raise.

However, although it's a bit more work, couldn't you just lower the boom a bit to fit under the door? Then raise it and pin it once inside.

~Rick

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #18  
$25 Million? No problem. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Could probably do it for $25k depending on the specific options. Sorry couldn't resist. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #19  
<font color="blue"> Am I dreaming to think that I can do this in the $25M range? </font>

You can buy many, many tractors for $25 million. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif $25 thousand is a reasonable range ($25K)

Try a search on 4310 price.

Also Deere's website has retial prices. Figure anywhere from 0-20% off. 20% off is considered an excellant deal. Probably won't see that in the North East.

See what I mean about using the wrong lingo. You just saved me 24.78MM. Or maybe you cost them 2478K.