some compliments but mostly a call for help

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help
Maybe lingo is not the problem. I should brush up my math (24775K) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #22  
On the subject of other colors similar to the JD 4310:

Look at the NH TC29D or TC33D . If you want a more capable FEL than NH's 7308 model, look at the Woods model 1012. Or wait until the 2004 model year (I think out this fall) where the TC 29/33 will get a slight redesign to accomodate a new FEL, the NH 14LA. (Note, from what I hear, the 14LA will not fit on the older models of TC29/33).
Also check out NH's budget tractor, the TC 30. One of the few "budget" tractors that is available with HST.

In the Kubota line, look at the L3010. Similar size and capability to the JD 4310.

IMO, stay away from the JD 790. It's their budget tractor in the 30 HP range, but is very limited in the 3 pt hitch and FEL capacity, at least as compared to the JD 4310 you mentioned, and the Kubota L3010.

I bought a NH TC33D for use on my 80+ acres (and my neighbors 30 acres) in Vermont. Mostly wooded, with 15 acres or so of meadow/pasture. Similar uses to what you described in your post. I was considering the Larger TC40D, but went with the smaller footprint for easier access through my forest trails. I did not get NH's supersteer option, and have not felt the need for it on my property (others who do have it seem to be pretty strong fans... I just had other things to spend the extra $1000 on).

You should be able to find a TC33D for around $17,500 with FEL (get the heavy duty bucket on any FEL you end up with). A backhoe will probably run you in the $6K range new (i.e. the NH 757c) you can save some by going with a smaller BH. I'm not up on Post hole digger or log splitter prices, so can't help you there. Another thing you may want to look at is a Brush hog/rotary cutter (less than $1000 for a 5 foot model), and either a rear blade or box blade (my 6 ft Woods GB72 box blade ran just under $600). I have the box blade, and like it for gravel road maintenance, putting in drainage swales, and general regrading of the yard. A rear blade would be helpful for dealing with snow, and some earthmoving applications, but I've gotten by fine without it so far.

If you have any questions on the TC33D, I'd be happy to try to help.

John Mc

I did my first shop at the local JD dealer. It felt great sitting in the seat. I am still going to visit dealers for the blue and the orange next weekend, but I liked the green.

Thank you all for your help thus far. I think that I got a lot more respect because I knew what I was looking for.

Here is what I was quoted at the JD Dealer in Walton, NY:

4310 Hydro DSCU mid PTO Tall (folding) ROPS (R4 Tires)
$16,900
430 Loader w/ 73” HD bucket
$ 3,500
Posthole Digger
$ 950
47 BackHoe
$ 5,900
MX5 Rotary Cutter
$ 1,750
Total
$29,000
Total w/4410 instead of 4310
$30,900
What do you all think?

In a surprise turn of events, my wife is pushing for the 4410. She doesn’t want to spend this much on something which won’t do everything we need.

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #24  
The differance between them is only the 3 HP. It is a pretty big jump in $$ for a little boost. Not that you would regret it. Look for a thread on 4310 vs. 4410 - What''s the differance?

I was set on the 4410, but decided on the 4310.

Pricewise, you are $3350 higher than the equipment I have on order. (but I didn't get the midPTO, or HD bucket) I figured the MX5 and phd at your prices, which seem high, too. Maybe the dealer expects you to haggle, of course, you are a long way from here, maybe that is the going pricing, there...

I've been looking through some of the other JD pricing. It looks like I am very much on the high side. Let the haggling begin. People seem to do well by going to multiple JD dealers and playing one off against the other. I fogot to ask about the model year. He has the tractors on his lot, so I assumed they were the latest year.

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #26  
You didn't say whether the 4310 or 4410 was 4wd.

If you are looking at 2wd, you should price out a JD5105 or 5205. Better hydraulics, heavier machine, bigger engine, more hp & torque for similar price.

Personally I would do without the backhoe & auger and go 4wd on the JD5105 or 5205. You could always rent an auger and backhoe when needed.

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #27  
You might also want to look at the Kubota M4900.

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #28  
I got my best price by sending a "request for quote" email to area dealers.

Funny, the dealer who was so much higher at start suddenly could match the lower price....

T_bone,
Do you frequent the Yesterdays Tractor board ? If you are the same person, thanks. I have always enjoyed /benefitted from your welding expertise.