some compliments but mostly a call for help

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #1  

Anonymous Poster

This may be the best website I have ever seen. The quality and quantity of information is amazing. I’ve gone through a lot of the posts and have read Muhammad’s book, so I have the beginnings of some understanding. I need to fine tune now; I am visiting dealers this weekend.

I have 200+ acres in Delaware County, New York (Western Catskills). It is a mix of meadow (80 acres), forest (50 acres), and brush/pasture (70 acres). It is both hilly (600 foot rise) and marshy. The things I want to do with the tractor include: collecting firewood, fixing stone walls, patching my dirt driveway, building a fence around the pond (we have a toddler), and planting trees.

My thought is to get a JD 4310 (or orange/blue equivalent). I know that this doesn’t provide sufficient horsepower for the acreage, but I have (I think) good reasons for wanting to stay smaller. It only costs a few thousand per bump in horsepower, but a few thousand is a lot of money to me. I want a 4WD Hydro CUT with an FEL, BH, Post Hole Digger, and maybe a log splitter. I want to buy new because I am such a newbie that I would definitely get rooked buying used. In addition, I want some warranty protection. Also, since a lot of what I’ll do will be in the woods, I want a small footprint. Obviously, I would love your thoughts on my reasoning here.

My other questions today concern storage, security, and education.
1) Will a CUT with a folding ROPS fit into an ordinary garage?
2) Is there a way to keep a tractor from being stolen?
3) What is the best way to learn to drive and operate a tractor?

Any help would be appreciated.

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #2  
Hi tbone, welcome to TBN.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1) Will a CUT with a folding ROPS fit into an ordinary garage? )</font> Yes, it should...heightwise anyway. You'll have to make sure you have enough length, especially with a loader and backhoe on the tractor. Even with that, it shouldn't take more space than an average car.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 2) Is there a way to keep a tractor from being stolen?
)</font> There are ways to make it more difficult for the tractor to be stolen, and many of them have been discussed here in previous threads. Perhaps another member can point you toward a specific post. Anyway, a determined thief will be able to get it regardless of what you do. You just want to make it difficult enough so the average hood looks for somebody else's tractor.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 3) What is the best way to learn to drive and operate a tractor? )</font> Remember the joke where a tourist in New York City asks a cabby..."How do you get to Carnegie Hall"? The answer: "Practice, man, practice."

Operating a CUT is the same way. Every implement you use will have its own learning curve associated with it. Just be careful and take it slow, and you'll have no problem.

I knew nothing about CUT's when I bought my B2910 with loader and backhoe 3 years ago. With hydrostatic transmission and power steering, I had my wife driving it in a couple of minutes. Again, very easy. Just go slow at first.

One caution: You said you have a child. I have a personal rule that when the tractor is running, NO KIDS ON OR NEAR IT! If it's parked in the garage, I let them sit on the seat and pretend. These are not toys, and as much as the little ones want to ride, it's up to us parents to make sure they stay safe. Others may disagree, but that's my rule and the kids know it.

Anyway, this is a long welcome post. Feel free to ask any questions. We're all here to help each other and spend each other's money. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think the tractor size you're looking at should be sufficient for what you want to do. I'm partial to orange, but it's most important that you get one that feels right to you AND from a dealer you are comfortable with, especially since you're a newbie, like I was (am?).

And I would agree with your ideas about buying new, if you can afford it. With the low rates offered now, I think that's the way to go.

Good Luck and welcome,

~Rick

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #3  
I really think you are on the right track analyzing what your needs are. Too many people assume the more property, the bigger the tractor has to be. I think it's more important to analyze what you need to do. Your projects are very similar to what I have been using my tractor for, and I only have 2.5 acres. When you are working on a tree, it really doesn't matter if you are surrounded by 2 acres or 1000. The tree is still the same size. When I was shopping I really liked the JD 4310, but it was out of my price range. I ended up with a Kubota B7500 comparably equipped with what you are thinking of and I have been very pleased with it. If you are new to this like I was, you'll be amazed at what these machines will do. I use my BH all the time. I bought a self powered log splitter. I preferred that because I like to keep the tractor free to work on other things while I'm splitting wood. Plus it was a lot cheaper. I think the others have answered your ROPS, Theft and Practice questions. I found these machines really easy to use from the beginning. One thought though, I had the opportunity to watch a very skilled operator over the years and I really studied how he did things. I think that helped me learn a little faster. If you know of a good operator, it can be fun to spend a little time and just watch them work.

Good luck in your shopping.
Greg

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help
Whatever you do GET a 4x4, i cant tell you how many times ive seen kubotas get stuck in mud they always get out thanks to 4x4. Take a look at the Kioti CK20 HST the one im getting /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif www.kioti.com

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #5  
WELCOME TO THE FORUM: a cut with folding rops will fit in ordinary garage, i assume u mean 7ft high doors, just don't for get to lower it before pulling in. if i had it to do over i would have the doors at least 8 ft high,my garage is 26 ft deep, so my b2400 with fel and rear mower fit with lots of room to spare. the best way to learn to operate the tractor is TO OPERATE IT. just be patient and work slow and have fun. make sure u have hydo and 4 wd.MHO

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #6  
forgot to ans. 3rd question(senior moment) no way to totally stop a thief, but someone looking to steal a tractor needs to have a trailer and some time. just make sure u are insured!

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #7  
When out with the tractor always know where the toddler is. They quickly become mobile and may have a tendancy to end up behind you and the tractor which is not a good place to be. Mirrors may not be a bad idea.

Stay of the steep slopes till you become comfortable with the operation of the tractor. Practice on level areas with all the attachments.

When moving always keep the bucket low; exspecially when full and be ready to drop it on a moments notice.

If pulling heavy items be aware that a back flip can occur. Hook below axle level when pulling.

Learn how to service and maitain the equipment. This is not as difficult as one would think.

Rember the post hole auger can snag and wind up loose items that get to close to it. If the loose item is attached yo a person it ain't no fun.

Hang a warning device of some kind prior to the garage door. This may deprive you of the priviledge of rebuilding the doorway.

And last but not least. " KNOW WHERE THE CHILDREN ARE"

Egon

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #8  
<font color="green"> I have 200+ acres in Delaware County, New York (Western Catskills). It is a mix of meadow (80 acres), forest (50 acres), and brush/pasture (70 acres). </font>

Are you planning to mow your meadow & pasture with this machine?

A 30HP CUT is up to the other tasks you mentioned, but will be painfully slow at mowing 150 acres.

Here is a link to how many acres per hour (It is for commercial lawn equipment but the info is the same). Exmark Productivity Realistic max speed would be 4-5mph. A 5' cutter (appropriate for 4310) would yield 2.42 acres per hour at 80% effieciency (overlap, turning etc.).

Other's have answered your other questions.

Welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #9  
t bone, check the height of the backhoe. My New Holland just fits under an 8 foot door. Just another thought, Bill C

/ some compliments but mostly a call for help #10  
I ended up with a 4310, and I have similar things. With that many acres, You really aren't going to mow the way someone with 4 or even 40 does. Later you might add a big used tractor for the really big mowing. But even with a big tractor, that is a lot to mow.

Other options include letting it out to someone to bale hay. Get some grazers. Whatever.

Backhoe transport height is 5'9"