Buying Advice Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand?

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #1  

Illinoisdmax

Bronze Member
Tractor
International 504
Looking for a good utility/AG tractor to start my hay operation, with potential to expand into grain crops eventually. I'm in the market for a new tractor. Just wondering what everyones opinion is on the smaller brands like Mahindra. I've been lookin into JD 5420, as i have a lot of experience running this machine. The bottom line i can find one for is pretty much 27k, and then i got to thinkin, a brand new Mahindra 8560 is only about 10k more then that and then you have all the nice warranty's and what not. Ive just honestly never dealt with the brand. Just wondering if it'd be a better idea to go new or get a good used. I live in the middle of Deere country and have 3 JD dealers within 20 miles of me. I also have a McCormick dealer 5 miles away that was a previous Deere dealer. Mahindra dealer is 30 miles away. Im not biased really to any brands right now but have all my experience on IH and JD.

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #2  
We just bought a new Mahindra 4035, going largely off the recommendation of a friend who has owned a Mahindra 5500 for 8 years. He has been very pleased with it. Ours only has 7 hours on it so far, so I can't really say either way from personal experience, but we looked at several different brands, and the Mahindra was heavier and lifted more than any of the others.

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand?
Maybe I should take a trip to the dealer and just see what kind of vibe I get. Most of the Deere dealers around here are very snoody. If you're not buyin a brand need combine from em every year then they don't wanna help ya.

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #5  
Illinoisdmax,

Have you gone to the Mahindra USA.com web site. There you can find a MY Mahindra tab on the left, from there pick Owner Reviews then to Select a Model. Scroll to the model of interest and see what owners of the model your looking at say about their tractors. My son wrote one up regarding our 5530. Hope this gives you more info to digest.
By the way, my dealer is 180 miles from us on a straight line per Google.

Idaho2

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #6  
other late model.. such as the large4-digit series NH units could be had cheaper and are quite HD..e tc..

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand?
Just a reminder here that a CUT is out of the question for me. I'm lookin for 80+ HP.

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #8  
Used jd's are higher, but worth it on a couple levels.

1. That same overpriced used green paint you paid big money for will still be overpriced when you sell it.

2. On their ag tractors, they (tend to) have nicer designed operating platforms, better transmissions, and much nicer lift and hydro control systems. I have a new to me kubota m6040 (my first off brand), which is supposedly one of the nicer kubotas. After operating it a while I found that it is plain tractor roughly equivalent to a jd from 20 years ago. I like the hydro shuttle which I feel is up to current standards, but everything else is way behind jd.

3. Dealer network.

Now, if you want a real bare bones bargain, look at used no names. There are some real deals there on cheap hp. I do believe that most are reliable machines, just not as nice as jd's.

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #9  
   / Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #10  
other late model.. such as the large4-digit series NH units could be had cheaper and are quite HD..e tc..

I agree with that, I have run 3 of my ol fords to near 8000 hrs. Still not nice as the jd's.