allis chalmers d17 diesel

/ allis chalmers d17 diesel #1  

donais

Gold Member
Tractor
mf 1547
I have the oppertunity to get an old ac d17. he wants 1600 or trade for ??? i have a quad up for the part!! So now, is this a good tractor? are parts still available ??? what size disk might i be able to pull with it?? I mostly want it to pull a disk. i feel like im killing the mf which is doing an awesome job but the hst is limiting me on speed vs pulling power.. any thoughts on this purchase? thanks jon

/ allis chalmers d17 diesel #2  
Put a lot of hours on a d15 and d17. Diesels were cold blooded and hard to start in the winter. Notorious for popping out of third gear as they got older. If going down a slight slope, they would pop out of gear. Worse if used as a loader tractor from shifting gears all the time. Brakes are a tough to replace. Engines were very reliable. Parts are usually still available but dealers are getting scarce in my area. One of allis's most popular tractors. Still lots of used ones around. Much more user friendly if the snap coupler has be converted to a typical 3 pt.
$1600 is about as low as prices go if in reasonable shape and no repairs.

/ allis chalmers d17 diesel
it seems to only need a left front wheel bearing

/ allis chalmers d17 diesel #4  
That sounds like a very good price. I have put alot of hours on a D15 and D19 Allis. They are pretty reliable and parts should be pretty easy to get. There are quite a bit of aftermarket parts availible as well as tractor salvage yards around. AGCO still supports some of the parts as well. A D17 should pull a 12ft disc without too much problem. We pulled a 14ft disc with the D19and it also had a spring tooth harrow behind the disc.

I don't have a manual yet or the tractor . Which lever lowers the three point I found the raise???

/ allis chalmers d17 diesel #6  
What year is it? Is it a D17 or a D17 series IV? The lever for the 3pt hitch should be a little short lever to the right of the seat, about the same location as most tractors. I personally would use an 8' 3pt hitch type or 10' pull type disc, I think 12' is probably a little big. The 2-speed hand clutch is very nice for field work, almost like having hi-lo powershift. They are great tractors, my uncle had one with over 20,000hrs on it. If it is in good shape 1600 sounds like a great deal to me.

D17 series 3 the up lever is on the dash under the steering wheel