Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    '11 Deere 1026R

Having recently spent big money on a little tractor, I feel compelled to chime in. This opinion is applicable to my area, so your view may vary. It was my first new purchase of any thing over $3000, so each dealer had an equal shot of disappointing me, feeling buyers remorse. There are JD dealers near my home and work, everyone else is a special 40 mile trip. kubota has the best in stock selection at it's dealers. JD had similar models in stock, MF was order only, and CC was in stock 80 miles away. I can't really say which machine is best, it's impossible to have all four in the same place head to head.

The tractor I was looking for would be a SCUT with FEL and MMM. Each one of the colors has their own strengths and weaknesses. The price? Well, I was comparing: rebates, out the door, total amount financed, delivered, yada, yada. About $250 +/- amongst 11 dealers. After reading on here the struggles with MMM removal, the auto connect, seat, 3ph, lights, ergos, and "initial quality" won my business. JD 1026R.

Platinum Member

Default Re: Recent Conversations (Bota vs. Deere)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside360 View Post
    I agree with you relative to pricing. However, I have to respectively disagree relative to features, especially for the factory cab models in JD 3x20 and 4x20 models. I test drove both kubota and Deere cab models before purchasing. Maybe what is ergonomically pleasing to one is not for another, but ergonomics played a large part in my decision to get a JD 3720 and a 4320. I have owned six Kubota tractors over the past 35 years and there is no doubt they do produce good products. In fact I currently own a Kubota M110X cab tractor which is an excellent machine.
    I was really referring to price point and overall offering. I too prefer the Deere cab and control layout. I also prefer dual pedals on the HST and I have had both types. Other people prefer the Kubota layout so I was just leaving some room in there for differences of style

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere

IMO they are all pretty much similar. Price and features included. What sways us is personal preference. (twin touch vs rocker...) We're comparing apples to apples. There's no clear choice in any one tractor over another for everyone.

Elite Member
    Parts Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by JDGreenGrass View Post
    "kubota is a lot less money than Deere." And I've heard this debated since owning my '92 770.
    As a salesmen who deals with people day in, day out, we get a lot more responses from people who are surprised that a Kubota is affordable, than we do those who are blown away by sticker stock. Most people expect the premium brand to cost more than comparable machines, and anymore I think the market has started to turn on Deere and fewer and fewer people are looking at them as the premium tractor.

Tractor
    Kubota M7040

I just purchased a kubota M7040 with Cab and FEL, I found when shopping over the last year that the equipment was very comparable, and where one machine was lacking a particular feature, it had another feature that wasn't standard on the others. I have Kubota, NH, Mahindra, Case IH, and JD within 1 hr.
    As far as pricing flexibility, they were ALL willing to move approximately 15% and closer to 18% as I suggested more additions or options.
    For me it came down to the dealer and how I was treated!
    The Kubota dealer was willing to go the distance right from "hello", if he didn't have what I was interested in on the lot he was willing to bring one in for me to "check out" or show me the lesser or greater model and take the time to explain the differences and give an honest opinion based on existing customers preferences. 3 weeks of discussion and comparison without hesitation, built our relationship and earned him the sale.
    I wouldn't hesitate to send him anyone who wanted straight up honest information! He didn't slam the other guys once, just gave honest comparisons.

Kubota M7040, Cab, 4x4, M21 FEL
    1964 MF 470 Tractor Shovel
    '96 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Laramie - 5.9L Cummins

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by PaleFX View Post
    I just purchased a kubota M7040 with Cab and FEL, I found when shopping over the last year that the equipment was very comparable, and where one machine was lacking a particular feature, it had another feature that wasn't standard on the others. I have Kubota, NH, Mahindra, Case IH, and JD within 1 hr.
    As far as pricing flexibility, they were ALL willing to move approximately 15% and closer to 18% as I suggested more additions or options.
    For me it came down to the dealer and how I was treated!
    The Kubota dealer was willing to go the distance right from "hello", if he didn't have what I was interested in on the lot he was willing to bring one in for me to "check out" or show me the lesser or greater model and take the time to explain the differences and give an honest opinion based on existing customers preferences. 3 weeks of discussion and comparison without hesitation, built our relationship and earned him the sale.
    I wouldn't hesitate to send him anyone who wanted straight up honest information! He didn't slam the other guys once, just gave honest comparisons.
    The salesman can make all the difference, the better salesman will point out the better fine points of the brand he sells. Bashing the competition puts the salesman in a poor light with me, no matter what brand.

Some salesmen will try to convince you that the competition is lacking with obsure generaliations I tend to walk away from these dealers.

LD1
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    Bashing the competition puts the salesman in a poor light with me, no matter what brand.
    I agree 100%

And not just tractors. Same can be said when shopping for a new car, truck, chainsaw, etc.

It's fine to point out your advantages over your competition, but dont bash them. Not a good tactic in my book.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere

Quote Originally Posted by MessickFarmEqu View Post
    As a salesmen who deals with people day in, day out, we get a lot more responses from people who are surprised that a kubota is affordable, than we do those who are blown away by sticker stock. Most people expect the premium brand to cost more than comparable machines, and anymore I think the market has started to turn on Deere and fewer and fewer people are looking at them as the premium tractor.
    I don't see any tractor as a premium over another, each has its own respective features and most of the difference is paint color, the dealer, and control layout. There isn't much that Kubota offers that a Deere doesn't and vice versa.

I buy Deere because my local dealer is much better than the local Kubota, like the twin touch vs the rocker and a couple other minor differences. It's not like the Deere is head over heals in front, there's just a couple things and from the pricing I've done I haven't found Deere to be as much more expensive as others say. $1,000 is about the most more I've seen.

I think more people are starting to realize how even all the tractors are though and none really has a premium over another and how similarly priced one is vs the other and they are buying for dealer support and machine controls/comfort.

I have a room in my house that my GF calls JD green. I like the green with yellow wheels. Yet I never really gave them much thought. The local dealer, Agway, had JD CUTs but when I asked a couple of questions all I got was blank stares and a "come back when xxx is here". The next dealer was way out of the way. They were an Ag dealer and that's where they made their money.

kubota when to the top of the list because of all the people I know who own them. When they have nothing but good to say about something that says a lot. I really didn't care for the dealers around me though. One sold a rear blower to a friend who wasn't too mechanically inclined and never cut the PTO shaft. While I could understand that mistake but when you go to a dealer and buy a tractor and a blower in one shot but because it's summer and the blower will take a month to get a good dealer would have been on top of it.

A second dealer was really hard to deal with for a coworker when he got some hay in his fuel tank. It seamed like it was pulling teeth to get them to come out and get the tractor. It was only a few months old and not running right and I would expect a good dealer would bend over backwards for a 5th generation farmer who's new tractor wasn't running right.

Anyway I started looking at Kioti but the dealers seam to open then close. There's a good NH dealer but he's in the next state and quite a bit of a drive but I was leaning that direction when, thanks to TBN, I contacted Barlows and I got a better price than Kioti or NH.

At the end of the day it really was the dealers. I didn't want to have to go to each and everyone of them and spend hours trying to get my questions answered. Thanks to TBN the simple ones were already answered but some of the places reminded me of the TV commercial where the guy asks about the difference between two computers and the sales kid starts reading the display to figure it out.

I can read just fine, I wanted real world answers. For example rear remotes, why would I want one with float, what attachments need only one, two, or three? What do most people who choose to add them use them for? For my uses will they be needed or will it just make my life easier?
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    Kubota MX4700

When I first started comparing tractor 2 years ago, I visited web sites such as this and other to get a feel for the models from various brands, what problems they may have had, customer support etc. fast forward to Feb 2011 I start shopping with knowledge that by spring/summer I would free up enough cash per month for a payment, told all the dealers I wanted full price and not to account for incentives, as they may or may not be availible by the purchase time. First I visited the local Kioti dealer, very nice, willing to talk with me about price, options, features etc.Gave me the price, with the options I wanted on a DK45se, also showed me the DS40 for a more cost consious option. Next was the visit to the in town kubota dealer, did not have the time of day for me, unless I was more ready to buy. Massey Ferg had a good selection of on the lots, prices were fair for what I was looking for. but did not like the feel of the units. Last up was the Kubota dealer 40miles from me, talked to me during lunch, went over all the numbers on 4 different models, plus ran numbers for rental units that were due back by late spring. Took me through the shop, introduced me to the guys back there, very good people, willing to to go through all the +'s/-'s of each model, for my application, took the time to figure out the "right one" months before I was ready to buy.
    Same dealer months later, I return in July, remembered my name, what we disscused, every detail. Looked through the machines again choices, as well as other used unit on the lot. Chose the New MX4700 with the options I wanted on a Tuesday, by Friday all options installed and tractor delivered. The right dealer makes all the difference prices for the similar units were within $1000 to $1500 of each other. I did not shop for a Deere for personal reasons that I will not discuss. Oh and I did price out the Bobcat CT450 it was $3500 more than the MX4700 and $5000 more than the same DK45se from Kioti, pass.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234