pulling mesquites

/ pulling mesquites #1  

Anonymous Poster

I need to clean up some pastures that have various size mesquites. Somebody suggested running around with a spray mixture (?) on the ATV and kill them. I also heard about a tractor attachment that will pull them out of the ground. Does anybody have good results with either technique or any ideas. I'm into quick and easy... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ pulling mesquites #2  
I'd vote for pulling them... and then having a bar-b-que. Of course, I'll always vote for a bar-b-que. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ pulling mesquites
I will have to agree with Gary on this one. Mesquite is the best to BBQ with. Pull 'em and put some deer or beef on the BBQ pit and enjoy

/ pulling mesquites #4  
<font color="blue">Does anybody have good results with either technique or any ideas. I'm into quick and easy... </font>

Well Rancherron, unfortunately "quick & easy" and "mesquite termination" don't go hand-in-hand. After clearing several acres of mesquite myself, I can tell you this: You are in for a LOT of work. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

About a year ago, I had posted this same question. Here's a link to it - hopefully it will provide you with some useful information. Additionally, Brush Busters article talks about mesquite eradication as well, along with this link which talks about other methods comonly used.

If you want the "quickest and easiest" (Notice I didn't say it was necessarily "quick and easy" - just that it was the better of the methods) I suggest a dozer with a root rake - preferably a sizeable one (e.g. I found that 14K # was light for removing my mesquites and it required a sizeable amount of time/effort to use it.)

You got to get the roots or your work will be for naught.

As for the devices that grub the mesquite stump by lifting it with the 3-pt - Although I don't have one, I did attempt to use this technique with a subsoiler. Before the subsoiler broke /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, I could literally squat my back end of the tractor by lifting the 3-pt with it essentially "hooked" to the stump - in other words, my belief based on my experience is that unless it is a really small mesquite, you're wasting your money as you will need a LOT of tractor to pull them up whole with such grubbing devices.

I know that this is probably not the info you wanted to hear, but it's what I've learned over the past year after clearing the infernal flora from my place.

Good luck.

/ pulling mesquites #5  
<font color="blue">( tractor attachment that will pull them )</font>

A neighbor showed me one of those a few years ago. He said it works, but he has tractors in the 100-120hp range. And he said he hadn't used it in several years; just pulls them with a chain or takes them out with the front end loader. And even after you take them out, I guess you know you'll probably have to keep them mowed in the future because they will come back from the roots that are left. It would take some serious digging, plowing, etc. to permanently get rid of them.

Hmm, Ranchman typed faster and more detail than I did, and of course, he's right /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ pulling mesquites #6  
Just saw them off flush with the ground. Then paint the stump immediately after cutting with a herbicide listed for stump treatment (Garlon 4, 2-4 D, others?). Talk to your county extension agent. This is really the fastest and easiest method.

/ pulling mesquites #7  
I forgot to add that you should mix the herbicide with vegetable oil or some other carrier to "stick" it to the stump. We used to use diesel fuel as a carrier, but this is now illegal /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ pulling mesquites #8  
Rancherron, I just got through spraying a few acres worth myself this past weekend. In Texas, I don't believe that using diesel is prohibited. Some counties have some herbicide's banned or limited use. I think when you find out how much the stuff costs, you might rethink your plan of driving around on an ATV while applying.
To mix up 4 gallons of spray, you need:
1 gallon of Remedy =$92.00
3 gallons diesel = $5.00
red food coloring = $2.00
Spray only on the base of the trunks just above the ground, spray each trunk that comes out of the ground. Try to get all the way around them. Use low pressure for a small "stream" so you don't waste any or put too much on your land. Depending on # of trees per acre, It will probably last for 5-8 acres. Oh yeah, don't use diesel fuel in most of the semi-clear pump sprayer tanks unless you don't mind cutting its life short.

The lady at the farm COOP said that she and her husband mixed up Remedy AND Reclaim, along with diesel. Part of my problem is I'm not 100% certain if I'm treating Huisache or Mesquite. If this application doesn't work, I'll use what the COOP lady said.

I'll keep you posted on how effective the Remedy works and how long it takes.
Kyle

/ pulling mesquites #9  
If you are going to be mowing over it, the remaining stump (flush with the ground) won't be an issue with the herbicide/stump spraying. However, even a "dead" stump of size can stop you cold if you are using your box blade, subsoiler, or other implement that "digs." (I have some first hand experience with this one. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

If someone's going to be setting up a lawn or a pasture for grazing, the herbicide method that the Brushbusters link I posted may work out, but if someone's planting a field of anything, I still believe a root rake is the way to go. Mesquite stumps (even "dead" ones) are just too hard on all those expensive implements to leave buried throughout the field.

Just my $.02...

/ pulling mesquites #10  
If you are not in too much hurry to do the job and need to pull stumps, the best thing to do is to cut the tree, leaving a 1-2 feet stump. Herbicide the cut stump to kill the roots. Wait a few months and let the herbicide work. Then use a dozer to pop the stumps. This method will nearly ensure no resprouts.