Tractor for 4 acre farm

/ Tractor for 4 acre farm #1  

Jfroche

I have recently bought an old farm with 4acres of land.

I have very little knowledge of tractors and would like advice on a suitable tractor to buy. Have been looking online and spoken to friends who have suggested I look at kubota.

Tractor will be used mainly to mow grass but also for other general work
Will be looking at second hand market and have limited budget.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

/ Tractor for 4 acre farm #2  
If mowing is the primary use, the BX is tough to beat, a nice used TLB with deck can usually be found in the 9-12k range in the North East

/ Tractor for 4 acre farm #3  
How about some more information ?

Location - state - county etc?
Snow Removal - tilling a garden - building walls - moving rocks ?
Lot Topography - hilly - flat - wet - ledge?
Goals/needs/more important "wants"?
Budget ? $10K $5K ?

Kubota ranges from lawn tractor to 100 HP farm tractor, and there are many units that can work for 4 acres, but if Kobota a BX23 with backhoe and mower can be found used for $12K range or if just a mower and a loader (FEL) maybe $8-9K

/ Tractor for 4 acre farm #4  
4 acres? Look at a Craftsman.

/ Tractor for 4 acre farm #7  
Kubota BX 25, I have 4-5 acres around the house that it has been a real workhorse for. Lot of implements for a 3PT hitch. I put 300 hours on last year doing lots of various jobs. Once you have the BH you will find lots of uses, even ballast aginst the FEL. I considred a mid mount mower but decided my landscaping has too many tight corners to do effeciently and I have a good craftsman rider. Brush mower was a god send for the fringe bramble/blackberry patches.

Limited resources forced me to buy new. Financing a used one is dicey and much higher interest rate and shoter terms. All the compact tractors now have $0 down, $0 interest for five years. Tractor and implements ($24K) is just over $400/mo.

You can save at the most 25% buying used. They really hold their value. I looked at probably 25 and found a real mixed bag. Guys said only X hours never been stored outside, faithful maintenance; a lot of lies in the mix if you know machinery and what to look for. 7 years old, all original you are buying some soon heavy expenses regardless of hours; tires, hoses, seals. Low hours are worse on a diesel engine than medium high hours. Probably never warmed up to drive out all the moisture in lubricants and fuel. What seems a minor engine/tranny problem can rapidly be way over $1K and up from there.

Ron

/ Tractor for 4 acre farm #8  
2 websites that are a good source for used tractor priceing...

MachineFinder.com TractorHouse.com.

Enjoy your search.

/ Tractor for 4 acre farm #9  
you looking new or used or used / classic / antique?

plenty of old fords and massey ferguson in the mid 50's an up to be had at affordable prices..

/ Tractor for 4 acre farm #10  
you looking new or used or used / classic / antique?

plenty of old fords and massey ferguson in the mid 50's an up to be had at affordable prices..

Dont forget the old deeres. You could get something like a 1010 or 2010 for much less then a kubota, and it could do a lot more.