Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement #11  
Re: Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacemen

<font color="blue"> (do you call it a tractor?) </font>

Hee, hee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Several of us have adopted the term "green beastie".

You're getting some excellent advice here. Keep asking questions. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement

SteveM, actually your concerns relative to the dealer are right in line with my own.... the local guy here in Candor is the nicest guy but he looks to be about 85 and ready to kick the bucket... with my luck, I'll give him a check for $6K, he'll die and I'll be spending all my tractor time trying to get my money back and driving my ugly looking Powerking around (this 72' or 74 model has an off center steering wheel... works great but looks ugly...not that it really matters).

Also, thanks for the feedback on buying out of state (oos)... Two of my friends bought oos and they have been happy... they also mention the savings on taxes... Personally, i like to know that I can go to a local dealer and hold his/her feet to a fire... the savings are nice but to go that way, I'd have to hear a bunch more good reasons for doing it.

Avoiding the state sales tax is a worthy goal /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have a friend who bought out of state, just barely. The dealer trailered the tractor to just accross the state line and we swapped it to my friends trailer in a rest area. Saved $1,000 in taxes, enough to buy a good brush hog. The dealer did not charge for delivery as it was only about 20 miles till we made the swap.

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement #14  
I have a 1951 8N and faced the same limitations you are. Besides that the old girl is getting a little tired after all these years, I had the tractor for over 20 years myself.

I looked around at all the different brands you have, my available funds were a little less than what you have to spend. I settled for a 30 hp. gear driven Kubota.

What I have found out comparing the compact tractors to the not compact Ford 8N is there are a lot of differences. In the same horse power range weight is a big difference, I think the 8N is around 28 hp.

Another difference is rear wheel width between the two, which relates to the compacts being a little less stable on uneven ground than the 8N. I notice the "pucker factor" as one person put it to happen sooner on the compact than it does on my 8N.

I still have the old Ford but after getting used to the feel of the Kubota I really like it and 4WD it makes a world of difference. Good luck tractor hunting.

Randy

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement #15  
I'll second Youare's opinion on the 8N. This was my first tractor, and I replaced it with a Kubota B1700. The traction advantage over the 8N is huge, but the Kubota has never been able to do the full range of projects that I used to tackle with the 8N; just too light in many cases. There isn't a month that goes by that I don't kick myself in the butt for getting rid of the 8N.
You'll also run into the "New Tractoritis" fear of doing something that will mess up your new tractor. 8N's thrive on abusive tasks, and never whimper. I'm always concerned with the Kubota about snagging a hydraulic line, denting the sheetmetal, scratching the paint, etc. I know that sounds like it's my hangup, but it's a feeling shared by many when you have laid out some major bucks for your equipment.
The 8N is one heck of a mowing/bushogging machine, and you'd be hard pressed to find a more cost effective solution. One of the previous posters was right on, build a cheap shelter and keep the 8N for the chores you don't want to subject your new tractor to.
One of the best combos you can have is an old 8N and a nice compact with a front end loader.
You'll cross a major hurdle when you convince your wife that you just have to have two tractors! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Just my $.02
Thanks
Bill

Bill, you guys are like that little devil (or is it the little angel) on my shoulder... hard enough to get the boss to approve the expenditure... safety is part of my sell job. That 8N is like my first love (and she is beautiful to behold - gave her a new top to bottom paint job 2 yrs ago). She's hard to let go.... and now you give me more reasons to keep her... maybe I can pretend not to find a buyer... hmmmm....the gears are working...
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif... maybe my Dakota should do some hard time outside... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ...or even better...... my wife's minivan .... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Randy, Thanks for the thoughts... I'd love to just use my 8N for bushhoggin'... I always enjoy that warm air the fan blows back on me... even on those really warm days... it's like my 8N is saying... I'm a hot tractor.... can't touch this.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My brother has a golden jubilee that he keeps (one of his several old tractors that have all been rebuilt and look like new). I'm just not interested in having the pain and anguish plowing with this tractor (although I have considered the backblade as a possible solution)... I have many other things I'd like to do as well... just need to take the step...

I really like the KIOTI pricing but don't have any confidence in the post sale service... (to me, that's important). Anybody know if the TCxx joystick problems are fixed on the more current ones being mfgd?

Still looking for some opinions on those quick link attachments that are being offered (they any good?).

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement #18  

EagleEye,

Those 8N's are pretty nice. My Dad still has his with the flat head 6cylinder in it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Nice machine.

With my Kioti I have never had any problems with "service after the sale".

RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

personally, I think those old 8ns are really sweet to look at...

Anybody have the quick attach and use it? Looking for feedback on it.