Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement #1  

Anonymous Poster

You guys on TBN remind me of all the guys I see out there on one of the other boards for the Ford 8Ns.... You're a bunch of great lifesavers... THANKS for all the excellent advice I've read thus far.

I've been lurking for a couple weeks now and I've decided to ask for you to bestow upon me your wealth of wisdom.

I have 22 acres (5-10 of recovered field thanks to my brush cutter and my 8n, 2 of lawn which I mow with my old PowerKing Economy tractor (48" deck), 4 of wooded land, and the balance is about 6-11 acres of brush and sporadic trees.... I use my 8n to push a 72" frontend mounted plow up and down my driveway (hill at the bottom... all the land has a gradual slope - up about 2-4 ft per 100 ft) in the winter removing snow. This past winter in NY, I had a great deal of difficulty getting my baby up the driveway with the plow (frontend to heavy...even with the wheel weights...back wheels were spinning). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif... on top of that, it reached one point when ...if we received any more snow... I would have been out of luck on clearing the driveway (to much snow). No 4wd and no FEL....

I also use my 8n (extensively) to bush hog as I'd like to recover the balance of the land and start a greenhouse business.

In any event, I will need at least 30HP (I think /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, 4wd, prefer std trans, rear locking differential, foldable rops, grill guard, wheel weights)a FEL (at least 1000lb lift), a back blade (72" with tilt), a rake (same), a tiller (60"), and a post hole digger (I plant at least 100 trees per year - my legacy)... gave up on backhoe (to expensive...will only use it once in a while). I am keeping my current 5' brush cutter.

I will not go to the local Kubota dealer (here in the southern tier of NY)... nothing personal... just heard many stories that leave a very negative impression... Hence... I'm looking at NH, JD, and Kioti... Was thinking TC35, 4310/4410, and DK35).... I'd like to spend no more than 24K... The JD and NH dealers are both nice ... the Kioti is nice but a really small outfit...

Questions: I'm wondering whether it's worth my time to look out of state (save money...spending 20K would be nicer than 24K) .... thoughts? what kind of dollars should I be getting quoted for this set of equipment? Any recommendations/thoughts on size? Are Land pride implements good (NH dealer favors over NH implements)? I looked at the Kioti and it looked good but would like to hear some testimonials from people who have previously owned a JD or NH and now own a Kioti...

It's time to pass my old girl (my 47 8n - 48 model) on to another worthy owner.... Just want to make sure that her replacement will be just as dependable....

Side questions: any opinions on the "quick attach" 3 pt hitch systems?

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement #2  
Hello to a fellow 8N owner!

I've got a couple questions, and a couple opinions to share.

First.. are you wanting new or used? If used, and you are considering NH.. check out a 1920... I love mine.. 33hp, 4wd, gear tranny, diff lock. I hear the new TC series of NH are pretty good too.. but many have 3cyl engines.. I like the 4 cyl engine that my 1920 came with.

As for implimints, maintenance makes a big deal. I bought what many would consider an economy rotary cutter... a KK. And yes.. they are lighter duty than brushhog and and NH59X series cutters. But if you take care of it, it will work good.
I will say though, I had borrowed my neighbors 4' 591 cutter that he bought new in 1985, and it is as solid as the day he bought it.. no oil leak on the gear box, and the grease fittings on the shaft are still good... needed a blad sharpening though... good solid machine.. though i still opted to save 300 or so bucks and bought the KK. I'll let you know in a few years if it was a good choice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck on your hunt, and keep us posted!

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement
Re: Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacemen

Soundguy, Thanks for your advice... Looking to buy new... If I had the room, I'd keep my 8N as well but alas... I only have a garage (3 car, but the boss needs her slot and I do like to keep my PU inside in the winter so until I get the Morton building (a good 3-5 yrs off), I'm making due with the a lawn/garden tractor and my compact or utility one...

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement #4  

Check out "Century" or "Branson"` especially if you have a dealer nearby. They are S. Korean, and everyone says, are the best bang for the buck. I do know that S. Korea is gaining ground in the tech. field, especially electronics.

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement #5  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I know you mentioned some specific brands that you are interested in, however, after reading your needs, the Power Trac brand might interest you. If anything, you should at least look at some of their features to see if there are any that might help you in your business plans. It is really good reading.

This one is the PT1430.

And this one is the PT1445.

Scroll all over those pages to see all of their models(bigger and smaller). Click on the pictures to get more info about the specific models and be sure to check out the attachments.

I have the smaller PT425 and am thoroughly impressed by its capabilities and the factory support has been outstanding. If you want to see the PT425 in action, click on my animated signature below my name and it will link you to my website that has some pictures and videos.

Good luck with your search. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement #6  
WELCOME TO THE FORUM; i had a ford 2 n loved it, but for the same reasons u mention (heavy front with loader) very easy to get spinning i decide to go to 4wd , hydro, and ps(my arms thank me) i went with 24 hp but u defenitly need a 30 at least. i am south of buffalo ny and am wondering which dealer u have a problem with? i bought out of state only because it was a used machine and saw in on the internet.

EagleEye: The closest conceptual equipment (new) to your 8N is the JD 990 and NH TC 40/45 in engine size, design philosophy, etc. I wanted a tractor to replace an old IH Farmall SC but designed for FEL & BH. See my review on my selection (a TC40).

Soundguys suggestion on the 1920 series (2120's also good) if you go used is right on the money - the 1920 is a direct evolution of the 8N and Jubilee and the TC40 most currently (the TC40 uses the engine out of the 1920 & the trans out of the 2120). Although NH is owned by Fiat, the TC 35/40/45 is the current iteration of a design philosophy starting with the Fordson tractor, through the 9N/2N/8N and the 1920/2120 series. The JD 990 has been around for a good long while and is the current iteration of a design philosphy going back for years - also, it is the only tractor I know of that still uses metal gas tank, etc. These two have little electronics and are thus easier to keep running over time.

Good luck. JEH

/ Die Hard Ford 8N fan seeks a worthy replacement #8  
You are getting some good feedback. I will throw in Massey as something you should check on, depending on the quality of the dealer, of course. Which leads to the reason for my post - buy local; buy service. Check out the post 'what's ailing my bota 4610' from a while back. This gent bought out of state and the local dealer was none too helpful.

I have shopped the kioti dealers and found them a solid notch BELOW that of the big 3 or 4 in terms of parts and service. Many kioti dealers here in upsate NY seem to be car dealers/chainsaw repair/bridal clothing/tractor dealers. Perhaps they sell pizza as well. (Just kidding)

If you were super tight for money, look at the alternative brands - but you've got a nice budget, so go with a proven winner. Again, I am partial to massey for simple, durable designs, but the NH TC series is excellent as well. I think the 90 series Deere is too light for your purposes, and you should really get a shuttle shift for loader work.

Good luck and have fun. (build a cheap shed and keep the n!)

Frank_f15, I live in Maine, NY. There are a couple Goodrich Kubota dealers around.... just aren't very customer driven (I'd rather not say any more). I actually have a Kubota dealer not more than 5-10 mi down the same road I live on... I'm open to anybody else's experiences with Goodrich... maybe I was consistently misinformed /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mossroad, Wow... that is a do it all tractor (do you call it a tractor?) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif... Thanks for the tip... I'll give it a look!