Buying Advice Log Splitter Sizing

/ Log Splitter Sizing #1  

TractorBob1529

Silver Member
Tractor
MX5100DT
Been needing to get a log splitter. Narrowed it down to a self-powered unit and not a 3pt. Been looking at the Northstar splitters, specifically the 22 ton and the 30 ton unit. Both have a 160cc engine, 160 GC and the 160 GX, respectively. I've used the 30 ton unit, powerful, but I though it drank up th gas. I've used a smaller unit, that seem to run all day. Can I get by with teh smaller splitter or do I need to go big? Suggestion and comments welcome, right or wrong its worth reading. Thanks.

/ Log Splitter Sizing #2  
Have no experience with Northstar products, but I've used Huskee 22 ton and Wallenstein 20 splitters on Ash, Maple, Cherry,Yellow Birch and Apple. Apple can get pretty knarly and twisted. No problems with anything put on the above splitters.
Have also used a 20 ton Splitfire that splits both ways. Pretty fast and again no problem splitting those species of wood. Good Luck!

/ Log Splitter Sizing #3  
I have a 5 hp Briggs powered 20 ton horizontal/vertical splitter built by Duerr and sold under the agway brand. Bought it brand new in 1991 for under $1000. If it has a log that won't split, it will either slice through it, or it splits it after I rotate the piece to attack it differently. IMHO, if you are working alone, the machine will mostly be waiting for you, not the other way around. I have to refuel about every hour and a half or so, although I've never actually measured, so that could be off.

/ Log Splitter Sizing #4  
either 1 of those splitters will do what you want it todo an more.the goodthing it only allows you to splitt 24in long wood.an that can be a snugg fitt.

/ Log Splitter Sizing #6  
I really dont think the size has as much to do with fuel usage as the motor. For example my neighbor has a 40004500 watt generator with a BS POS. It drinks fuel. As much as a gallon per hour.

He bought a Champion 3500/4000 at TSC with a Chinese Honda clone engine. It starts first pull after sitting for months and will run 10 hours on 3 gallons of gas. Yes, its a little smaller genny but not that much smaller and uses 1/2 the fuel.

I maintain outdoor power equipment as a part time job. I will not buy anything other than Honda, Kawasaki, and Subaru powered stuff from now on out. Yes, my Troy Built genny has a BS and my snow blower has a Tecumseh but never again.

Just was at Lowes yesterday and they had a nice Troy Built splitter with a Honda for $1300. I think it was 30 ton.

Chris

/ Log Splitter Sizing #7  
I have a 27 ton MTD with the 5.5hp Honda from Lowes. I bought it 5 years ago(ish) and it's run great, haven't fund a log that could stop it, most don't even kick the pump down. I change the engine oil once a year in it. I got a Home Depot coupon for 20% off and Lowes accepted it without question when buying the splitter. After sitting all winter and then summer it started up on the second pull.

/ Log Splitter Sizing #8  
Just was at Lowes yesterday and they had a nice Troy Built splitter with a Honda for $1300. I think it was 30 ton.

Chris

That would be my vote too. When I bought mine (4 years ago?) it was just a grand. I think it's 27 tons, 2 stage.

/ Log Splitter Sizing #9  
I bought a MTD 24 ton 6.5 horse vertical/horizontal splitter for $650 brand new at Lowe's 5 years ago. It was in the spring and they had 4 sitting out from the winter. It's gone right through anything I've thrown at it including locust and white oak. I can't say how much fuel it uses, as it's never been an issue. Compared to a sledge hammer and splitting wedges I really don't care.
There isn't much to go wrong with the splitter except the engine. Look carefully at the engine, if no engine's listed keep looking.

/ Log Splitter Sizing #10  
I`ve been using a 27 ton Sears splitter for 5 years now, it has a 6 1/2hp vertical shaft engine that has split everything I have ever loaded onto it. That includes Cherry and Red & White Oak, but the "lion share" has been Maple.