New Wing Mower

/ New Wing Mower #11  
I have to agree with bigbull, I would go with the Bushhog. I my self dont put too much faith in off brand equipment. Im a firm believer you get what you pay for.just my 0.02cts

Howse is not an off brand.

there are more howse and KK mowers in the 5'/6' range clipping pastures in my area than any other flavor.

I have a howse 120hd 10' 3pt mower.. I've knocked over 4" tree's with it. when they say 'heavy duty'.. they mean it.

it's build with heavier metal and framing than my jd batwing...

soundguy

/ New Wing Mower #12  
soundguy ive got a brother that could blow your howse to bitts just shredding pastures an lite bushes.i bought a new 10ft mowhawk shredder years ago an he totaled it out in less than 4yrs.shattered the U joints twice doing very lite shredding.i finally went an got a 6ft bushhogg shredder an turned him loose,an the shredder is still in like new condtion,an he has run it hard.

/ New Wing Mower #13  
Well sound guy there might be a few or even alot of howse mowers where you are, but where im at they are rare. Ive seen maybe 2 and they were not much to look at. 1 guy said he would never buy another, he said he did some mid range mowing 2-3" and all he got done was repair. I saw the 1 mower and it was CHEAP looking.I will stay with what I run its been tested and proven where Im at. I mow heavy, steep hill side work and R O Ws the guys I run with do not run HOWSE. They are considered side walk store mowers here, In southwestern PA. next to WVA.

/ New Wing Mower #14  
soundguy ive got a brother that could blow your howse to bitts just shredding pastures an lite bushes.i bought a new 10ft mowhawk shredder years ago an he totaled it out in less than 4yrs.shattered the U joints twice doing very lite shredding.i finally went an got a 6ft bushhogg shredder an turned him loose,an the shredder is still in like new condtion,an he has run it hard.

i know people that can break anvils with a rolled up newspaper. says more about the person than the product.

soundguy

/ New Wing Mower #15  
Well sound guy there might be a few or even alot of howse mowers where you are, but where im at they are rare. Ive seen maybe 2 and they were not much to look at. 1 guy said he would never buy another, he said he did some mid range mowing 2-3" and all he got done was repair. I saw the 1 mower and it was CHEAP looking.I will stay with what I run its been tested and proven where Im at. I mow heavy, steep hill side work and R O Ws the guys I run with do not run HOWSE. They are considered side walk store mowers here, In southwestern PA. next to WVA.

I don't doubt you see less in the north. in the south units like KK, howse and kodiak are much more prevalent.

also.. keep in mind. there are different quality levels.

KK and howse both offer economy grade machines.. all the way up to heavy duty, priced accordingly.

a economy unit from howse for instance, say.. a 5' mower, is just a folded metal deck and sides.. no ibeaming or whatnot welded seams at folds.. etc. move up to HD and then you get ibeams, different bracing, thicker deck, different pan/stump jumper, additional features like heavier gearbox and driveline and built in torque limiter.

again.. my howse mower is built WAY better than my JD mower.

if you buy economy.. expect economy.. I'd bet the 'sidewalk' store howse you see are all light duty line.

I don't know any dealers here that stock anything other than light duty howse or KK.. you have to actually ORDER the HD models...

soundguy

/ New Wing Mower #16  

Come on Jd you aren't comparing apples to apples. You are doing ROW work and, sounds like, roadway work. Your "mid range mowing" is 2-3" stuff. Thats nothing like the guy with 10 acres of pasture to mow. For what you do Rhino is my mower of choice.

MarkV

/ New Wing Mower
I saw the 1 mower and it was CHEAP looking.They are considered side walk store mowers here, In southwestern PA. next to WVA.

Well, they are made in South MS so that is probably the main reason there are more down here.... And yes, they do make econo mowers that sell for cheap, but they fabricate heaver mowers as well. As for people who do RoW work never using them, some people just like paying $25000 or more just so it has JD or Shulte on the side. When they could have bought a $12000 Bush-Whacker that has more than proven itself in the industry. Its like someone who buys an $80000 corvette so they can look fast when they could have bought two Subaru STI Spec C's that will run circles around the grandpa sports car.

Last edited:
   / New Wing Mower #18  
we do some ROW mowing and clearing for our jobs. in the beginning we bough the expensive mowers and whatnot, untill we realized, looking on paper.. that a hitten stump or car rim, in the tall grass, doesn't distinguish between bush hog and howse when you hit it. In the end you can have a 500$ broken mower.. or a 1200$ broken mower.

we actually came out ahead of the game buying the light duty 'cheap' howse and kk mowers that at the time were about 500$ for a 5' mower. decks NEVER wore out.. and if they did.. we had a stack of them. running the numbers on paper, due to the areas we mowed in.. it was advantageous to use throw away tools. if we exclusively did mowing.. I'm sure it would be way different, and htge cost and lifespan / quality of a better name mower would likely pan out differently in the long run.... but all the mowing we did was along ROW and on clearing jobs where we did road work... IE.. places you find batteries, stump pieces.. tires and rims.. occasional concrete chunk or piece of an engine :(

I'm sure farmwithjunk loves that type of mowing. I know he runs a big time mowing business... and it's never fun to hit something solid inthe weeds :(

/ New Wing Mower
I'm sure farmwithjunk loves that type of mowing. I know he runs a big time mowing business... and it's never fun to hit something solid inthe weeds :(

I had a friend that worked for the MS DOT for a few years. He told me that they were mowing down the side of the highway when one of his coworkers mower's (Bush-Whacker T-180) caught a car rim in the bottom of the ditch that didn't have a tire on it. The mower threw it up the embankment and through the rear door of a passing car. Thankfully there was nobody in the back seat...

/ New Wing Mower #20  
Companies like Howse and KK made their business on making the smaller lighter cutters for small tractors and such. That doesn't mean they don't make bigger heavier stuff that compares rather well with the "name brand" alternatives. They do.

I have one of the standard duty 5' Howse shredders and it's been more than sufficient for all my cutting including a fair amount of 1"-plus stuff. Nothing has fazed it. Poor thing has been submerged a couple of times but shows none the worse for it. Response from Howse from their online parts ordering has always been good....never taken more than 3 business days for anything ordered to show up on the doorstep.

Have to agree about the popularity thing......you see a lot of Howse and KK on small tractors in my part of the world.

From my experience, if I were going to look for a 10' or 15' cutter I would have no hesitance going with the Howse models.