New Wing Mower

/ New Wing Mower #1  

Hollow

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TT45A
Considering buying a wing mower next summer and was wondering if anyone has ever used a Howse SHD-15. They are good looking mowers 1/4 sides, 3/16 deck, double chain guards, 200hp divider box with 150hp output boxes, independent suspension on every wheel, duel leveling rods and can be had for about $8500. http://www.howseimplement.com/pdfs/110-A%20RED%20HOWSE.pdf

/ New Wing Mower #2  
It's looks a little like a Bushhog 2615L. Everyone else, has a 5 yr warrenty on the gearboxes. If you have a local dealer and they have a good warrenty, the price is close to half to everyone else, why not? :thumbsup:

/ New Wing Mower #3  
i've heard they were patterned off a 2615

I seriously looked at one when i got my jd1517 wing.

I ended up getting a great deal used.. so didn't get a Howse.. though if I had bought new I would have went howse.

I have their 10 HD 3pt mower. it's built like a tank.. 0 complaints. if the wing is 3/4 as good it's a swinging deal. ( have their 5' LD mower as well... it's.. ld... )

soudnguy

/ New Wing Mower #4  
Another thing you should look at, you can get parts for a BH 2615L and Howse now. In the future, with this economy, I feel like BH will be around for a long time. Howse, alot smaller in size, who knows. One thing I've learned when dealing with equipment is, if you can get parts for it, it tends to hold it's value better. It beats having to run to a machine shop everytime you need some parts. Take my 65 JD 4020 for example, I can still get most of the parts for it, even though they cost an arm/leg. :laughing:

/ New Wing Mower #5  
i've had a howse hd120 mower for right at 10ys now... so far never needed a part for it, other than a 3pt pin.. a common farm store item... my jd1517 batwing on the other hand, HAS needed parts.. and they were available from JD.. just pricey.

imho.. pto shafts and gearboxes are about the main 'working' part of a 'wing. things like bearings, bushings, wheels and hubs can all be retrofit and matched to off the shelf stuff if needed. same with hyd cyls, even blades and pans..

i imagine howse and kingkutter , while not to line brands like BH.. etc.. will be around for quite a while... that's my 'prognostication' anyway :)

soundguy

/ New Wing Mower
I'm sure Howse doesn't make their own gearboxes anyway, I bet if they ever did go out of business and one needed replacing I could go to Comer or Bondioli & Pavesi and get something that would match up. But I don't see Howse going anywhere in a down economy, that's when people start looking for more cost effective products and turn away from the brand names. Over the past two years I've seen more Howse and Kodiak products than ever before (I haven't seen the wing mower yet though). Which Kodiak is the one that I would buy if I was just going to go out and buy anything I want. I really like the 3/4" flywheel instead of having a stump pan, the kinetic energy in the flywheel would absorb a lot more shock and not allow it to transfer up through the drive system if pulled over heavy brush.

I don't know, maybe its just wishful thinking...

Last edited:
   / New Wing Mower #7  
that and a good torque limiter is about the best we can do :)

/ New Wing Mower #8  
if it was me id buy the bushhog batwing mower.ive gotten burned buying off brand equipment,an i wont do that anymore.

/ New Wing Mower #9  
I have to agree with bigbull, I would go with the Bushhog. I my self dont put too much faith in off brand equipment. Im a firm believer you get what you pay for.just my 0.02cts

/ New Wing Mower
I have to agree with bigbull, I would go with the Bushhog. I my self dont put too much faith in off brand equipment. Im a firm believer you get what you pay for.just my 0.02cts

Howse is hardly an off brand here in the south. I've seen some put through things they were never intended to be used for and they held up as good as any. I've just never seen one of their wing mowers before. But even if it didn't last as long as a Bushhog or something like it, it's almost two for the price of one. I don't know, I like the Bush-Whacker MD180 as well. I really like the T180 but that thing looks heavy. The only thing wrong with Bush-Whacker is, the wings don't self level with the center deck.