Buying Advice Komatsu D20?

/ Komatsu D20? #1  

dntfxr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford, LS
Hey folks, I'm looking for any advice on these machines. I've come to the realization that I need a dozer to get the work done on our homestead. We have 42 acres that need quite a bit of dirt work done before we can move out there. I know these are small dozers but I like the fact that they are easy to transport too (we have another 40acres in MS that still has lots of trees down from Katrina). I know a machine this size has its limitations but I'm looking for any experience or advice on these tractors. I found one I want to look at this Saturday with new clutches and undercarriage. It looks pretty nice but anything else peculiar to these to watch out for?
Thanks

/ Komatsu D20? #2  
I believe the D20s are all direct drive clutch machines. Not a negative, just what differentiates them from the D21s which are powershift units.

I've looked at these small machines out of curiosity, but, I keep coming back to the conclusion that they're probably too small to do very much serious dirt work. A 40-50hp tractor with loader and box blade or dirt pan would seem to be just as capable and certainly more versatile, transportable, and maintainable.

You can snag a D20 or Furukawa equivalent or a Mitsu BD2 for about the same money these days. Like I say, for the weight and money, I keep thinking a good mid-size tractor will pay back more in the end.

I'm finding it hard to justify a tracked dozer vs. a regular farm tractor up until you hit the 70hp range where the tracked rigs really began to outweigh and outperform the rubber-tired tractor in terms of production. Might even consider an tracker skid steer within this area.

Anyway, just things I've thought about.

/ Komatsu D20?
Thanks for the reply, definitely food for thought. I've been doing some of the work with my boxblade and it really moves more dirt than I expected but I have a whole lot more to go. I need to raise my house pad area around 3 feet and raise a 200' section of driveway about 2 feet. I'm planning on making a pond and using that dirt for my fill. I'd considered a small dirt pan for my tractor but I really figured the 8.5' dozer blade would be more effective and might save a step by not having to plow the dirt first. Not to mention they are pretty proud of the dirt pans I've priced and I don't have remotes on my tractor. Hopefully some will chime in with their experience on dozers of this size.

/ Komatsu D20? #5  
Several years ago I was looking for a Komatsu D20/21 for use on the farm for various tasks (dirt moving, clearing, etc) and encountered much of the same questions (i.e. how much work can a little dozer do?).

I ended up finding an old Case 310G dozer really close and pretty cheap, so I bought it. Now it's probably a lot cruder and obviously older than the Komatsu, but it's got an 8' blade and weights about 8 or 9 tons (I don't know how mucht he Komatsu weighs).

At any rate, I never cease to be impressed with the amount of work I can accomplish with the little dozer. I've got a Kioti DK45 with loader/backhoe/boxblade/etc. and I can move 10 times the amount of dirt with dozer as I can with tractor. When I was finishing grading around our new house, I used the tractor and box blade to try to cut down a bank. That was about the time that I got the dozer and tried it - man what a difference. The weight and the tracks make a 30 hp dozer capable of what a 75 hp tractor (or more) can do.

I also use it for a lot of clearing and cleaning up burn piles - and it can push way more brush/trees/etc. than a comparable wheeled tractor - plus, I never have to worry about flat tires!

Now I would not say for one minute that a little dozer is more versatile than a tractor, but it is (in my opinion) a lot better at pushing dirt short distances and pushing trees/debris. I think it's best to have both if it is feasible (given how much money it costs to have both). I think that my dozer has easily paid for itself during the time that I've had it - I've cleared brush/trees, dug a small pond, helped dig a bigger pond, etc. I've had to do basic repairs and upgrades, but nothing that any weekend mechanic can't fix.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Take care.

/ Komatsu D20? #6  
I have been checking out the Komatsu D-20, and some of the small John Deere 350's and my conclusion is that they are not big enough to do much more than finish grading etc. They are also expensive to fix, if you can't do your own wrenching. My personal plan now is to save up for a low hours 60-70 HP tracked skid steer. They are more versatile, and easy to transport. If you ever get a chance to watch a good operator do some grading with one you will be impressed.

/ Komatsu D20? #7  
i really like my older case 450. i think its in the 50hp range and around 10k# with 6 way blade. It hauls really nice on my 10k low deck equipment trailer behind my 3/4 ton dodge. Truck trailer and dozer weighed 20360# on the local cat scale. it makes maintaining and building my mx track easy.

/ Komatsu D20? #8  
I demo'd a D-20, probably 15 years ago. We were looking for something small to replace the ole' 450C Case. We did a lot of channel work with the 450, and placed a lot of stone under bridges, where flooding had scoured the abutments.

I didn't care for the direct drive. I was doing some finish work on a job, and snagged a stump, no more than 2"-3", that the larger dozers had missed. It literally threw the dozer sideways, and killed the engine, as I was grading with the blade at approx. 30コ angle.

They are pretty light, in comparison to HP. It seemd to have plenty of power, but too much for it's weight. It would literally power out (spin), if you tried to cut hard dirt. Possibly a winch on the back may help that issue.

Guess I was just used to the Case's we had, the all did have winches on them.

I could see it's use in a housing project, finish grading loose dirt, in close area's, but not much more than that

They may not be top of the line, but I liked the Case dozer's, simply for the fact you can power each track separate from the other. Both in low for power. One in neutral for a slow turn, or one in high to make a power turn, not just feathering, or killing a track with a steering clutch. Both in high, to tram back on a long push, at lower RPM's, or just to get across, or out of a soft spot, to get torque to the tracks, not power.

Getting aggresive corner bits on any machine makes a world of difference. Angling, and tilting the blade, making it act somewhat like a plow can rip some mighty hard stuff, once they are sharp. I have ripped a lot of semi-hard shale rock with the 450C. The 850 models we had did better.

The only drawbacks I saw with the older Case dozer's, was the dry brakes. Being we did a lot of work in streams, water and sedimant got in the brake housings, and rusted the steel balls in the brake actuators.

/ Komatsu D20? #9  
i really like my older case 450. i think its in the 50hp range and around 10k# with 6 way blade. It hauls really nice on my 10k low deck equipment trailer behind my 3/4 ton dodge. Truck trailer and dozer weighed 20360# on the local cat scale. it makes maintaining and building my mx track easy.
:thumbsup:

/ Komatsu D20?
Thanks for the responses guys. I was kind of thinking the d20 would be better than the d21 for putting the power to the ground but it may still be a little light in the arse. I'm gonna go demo it tomorrow and see what it'll do. I'd still think it would out work a skid steer but maybe I'm wrong. The projects I have lined up for it won't be that big, I just hired out most of the big stuff to a guy with a d6 high track and a 320 excavator. Mostly what I have left will be grading and finish work really. I also will rent an excavator for digging out the deep end of my pond. I was surprised at the weekly rates, they aren't bad at all. I can get a Volvo ecr 88 for less than 1200 a week and a ecr 55 for less than 800. I need to take some pics and start a homestead thread in the projects forum!