Tractor Sizing Tractor logging 5.5A

/ Tractor logging 5.5A #1  

weesa20

Silver Member
Hello All- Just put in an offer on a house with 6 acres today. It is almost all timber and I want to cut it and sell the timber. I currently have a GC2300 but don't think it is enough tractor for this project as I would likely have to at least pile them out the road for pick-up. So, my question is, what is the smallest tractor I could get away with for skidding and piling logs. Second, has any one cut their land and had someone else haul it to the mill? The lot is about 600 feet from font to back.The land is mostly flat with a very gentle slope.

Another option would be to cut and then rent a larger tractor for skidding and piling- looks like I could get a 35 or 40 horse from Sunbelt, of course this will cut into any profit.

Weesy

/ Tractor logging 5.5A #2  
How big are the trees (logs)?
Mf

/ Tractor logging 5.5A #3  
Are your trees mature? What size are they? Are they mostly hardwoods? In the Piedmont region of N.C. where I live, many loggers have quit the business. When I sold my trees, the first logging Company quit because of equipment break downs. I realize that you are planning to log your own timber and have someone take it to the mill, but here are a few things you should consider. You may have difficulty in enlisting a Company that is willing to haul and contract your timber. Mill prices are in a decline and have been for sometime. A large amount of timber around here is being shipped to Red China. Another thing to consider is that many of the surviving mills only take certain varieties of trees. It is rare to find one mill that will take all the different varieties that most woodlots consist of. Haulers have to make a profit and the farther from your land to the mills, reduces their profit margin and yours. Plus there is the added expense of clearing the stumps and preparing your land for the use that you intend for it in the future. Perhaps it is different in your part of N.C. Best of Luck in your endeavor.

/ Tractor logging 5.5A #4  
Another thing to consider is that a lot of haulers will not even consider taking on a contact in regards to a job that is as small as the six acres that you are attempting to purchase. The larger jobs are what they look for considering the profit margin. Maybe due to these tough economic times, you may find plenty of offers. Once again, the best of Luck in your endeavor.

/ Tractor logging 5.5A #5  
In your situation, I would consider renting an excavator and pushing the trees over. Definitely beats having a stump farm to deal with down the road.
I bought a stump farm, trust me.......:D

/ Tractor logging 5.5A #6  
are you wanting to clear the lot to make lawn or are you in it for the cash? If you want it cleared for lawn and for $ you could probably have someone pay you to come through and take out all the quality timber. I guess it depends on what your wanting as a finished product. while that massey is too small it would likely be a great maintenance tractor for 6 acres.

/ Tractor logging 5.5A #7  
To the original question, unless you have timber over 2 feet in diameter, 35 hp would be fine. I'm using a 35 hp 4x4 for cutting firewood on a small scale using a 6500 lb winch. If you're not in a hurry, and the land isn't too rough you shouldn't have any problems.

6 acres is a small enough lot that a few months of cutting trees and burning brush will see it stripped off, getting it stumped and smoothed is another project.

Sean

/ Tractor logging 5.5A #8  
Chilly807-
Your profile says you have a logging frame. What is that?

/ Tractor logging 5.5A #9  
I pull logs out with my 2520 and can move them around with the FEL to be cut up, you just have to be careful... Did you ever think about selling your timber for firewood? You will make a lot more than a timber company will offer, although you will have time and effort involved....

/ Tractor logging 5.5A #10  
Chilly807-
Your profile says you have a logging frame. What is that?

It's essentially a steel frame shaped like a winch, without the actual winch mechanism. I built it to get the log butts up off the ground using the 3ph. I don't use it much anymore, the winch has taken it's place.

Sean