New Member - Looking for first Tractor

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #1  

imakelotsoawdust

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1635
I'm going to be building a new home on 22 acres of forested property in the very near future. The terrain is rugged, lots of brush, many many trees and a lot of loose rock. the avg slope is about 15%. The house will be about 1/4mi from the main road.

I'm going to need a tractor for the following reasons:

1. Push/Blow Snow
2. Collect/Move Rock (Mostly fist to basketball size but the occasional Laundry Basket size)
3. Move felled timber
4. Maintenance of stone driveway
5. General Landscaping - but I will not be cutting grass with it
6. Moving Heavy objects from front to rear of house (max 1000lbs)
7. Probably a lot of stuff I don't realize yet

I have never owned or operated a tractor. I do not even know the right questions to ask. Friends and family have offered conflicting opinions, so I thought I'd ask in this forum.

I can't imagine I'm the first one to be in this situation. Is there a place on this website I should go to startout?
What features do I need to look for in a tractor?
What HP range should I look at? Some say at least 30HP, I local guy wants to sell be a 29HP and says that's enough. I'm just scratching my head.
Is new or used the way to go?

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #2  
With that list I would think as big as possible but small enough to get into the places you need to.

Budget? Always a big one. You can get by with many sized tractors, can you afford the most efficient?

Bigger than my needs but 30hp would be an absolute minimum.

What dealerships are nearby. Sounds like when researching and comparing, the weight of the tractor is going to be important in your case.

Good luck and I'm sure more helpful responses will be forthcoming.

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #3  
There are a sack full of tractors that will do the tasks you have outlined. Since your friends and family have offered their opinion, see if they will let you try their tractors out on their property under their supervision and guidance to see for yourself.

An alternative is to go rent something in the 30-40 HP range and use it on your property. HP will naturally not be your only or maybe even primary consideration since there is a significant amount of difference in capability between 35HP machines even within brands.

Without seeing your property, my initial preference would be something like a Kubota GL3540 HST or its equivalent in John Deere, Kioti/Bobcat, Massey Ferguson etc. as just about everyone makes really good quality tractors.

My experience is that tractors often seem to shrink once off the lot and on your property for a while, so I tend to "usually" go a little bigger than I "think" I will need.

I am sure others will offer some more specifics. Someone had a similar thread not too long ago and a couple of posters had some really good input; meant to save it, but thought I would remember it.:eek:

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #4  
I grew up around Ag tractors and farming equipment. But, moved on and away from Ag stuff over 30 years, ago. Didn't know beans about smaller utility and compact tractors! When my wife and I got some acres outside of town; I rented a number of tractors and other equipment (dozers, skid-steers and excavators) over a period of 4-5 years.

Renting (and this forum) gave me the experience and information I needed to make better decisions before I plunked down my hard-earned money and committed to owning something for the long-term.

Spend some time reviewing what other's have discussed here; on TBN. Go to your area dealers and sit in a few seats - fire a couple of 'em up - and drive around the lot!

Rent a few - if possible.

Don't get in a rush... those acres (and that work) won't run off!

Best of luck with your quest!

AKfish

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #5  
I'm going to be building a new home on 22 acres of forested property in the very near future. The terrain is rugged, lots of brush, many many trees and a lot of loose rock. the avg slope is about 15%. The house will be about 1/4mi from the main road.

I'm going to need a tractor for the following reasons:

1. Push/Blow Snow
2. Collect/Move Rock (Mostly fist to basketball size but the occasional Laundry Basket size)
3. Move felled timber
4. Maintenance of stone driveway
5. General Landscaping - but I will not be cutting grass with it
6. Moving Heavy objects from front to rear of house (max 1000lbs)
7. Probably a lot of stuff I don't realize yet

I have never owned or operated a tractor. I do not even know the right questions to ask. Friends and family have offered conflicting opinions, so I thought I'd ask in this forum.

I can't imagine I'm the first one to be in this situation. Is there a place on this website I should go to startout?
What features do I need to look for in a tractor?
What HP range should I look at? Some say at least 30HP, I local guy wants to sell be a 29HP and says that's enough. I'm just scratching my head.
Is new or used the way to go?

New or used? What's your budget? Average slope is 15%--what's the maximum slope you want to use your tractor on? Cab or non-cabbed?
Can you handle a manual transmission or do you need/want a hydrostatic tranny tractor?

What's your 5-year plan for your place? YOu want to get large enough tractor at the beginning to handle these jobs. Buying a tractor that's too small is the pits and can be an expensive experience.

Post back and we can get down to specifics.:thumbsup:

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor
I understand what you're saying and it makes sense to some degree. Since I will be doing some of the construction work myself, I will need something fairly soon. For example, I'm going to fell the trees and clear them off the building site. I will not be pulling stumps.I will need something to drag the trees out and it will take me a while (I'm not a spring chicken). The cost to rent gets pretty steep pretty quick if I keep it very long.

What I'm looking for now would be some help identifying what features I need in order to do the work I think I'm going to be doing. What are the pros and cons of the different transmission types. What kind of hydraulics should I look for?
etc etc etc

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #7  
Read Read Read and stay on this site. Do a search on my first tractor.Ask lots of questions. The more you learn the more you will ask.

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor
Flusher - to answer your questions

I don't mind used. Question is can I find one that has what I need (which I don't know what I need at this point) and will it be dependable

Budget - Less is better! Given that we are building a new home I don't want to spend more than I have to but I am will to spend what I have to.

I can drive a manual trans.

Slope is a pretty consistent 10-15% except on the access road and the building site.

As far as future plans - once the construction is done, will need the tractor for snow removal, driveway/access road maintenance, clearing storm debris and dragging timber. I'm a wood working and plan to harvest enough lumber to keep me busy.

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #9  
I understand what you're saying and it makes sense to some degree. Since I will be doing some of the construction work myself, I will need something fairly soon. For example, I'm going to fell the trees and clear them off the building site. I will not be pulling stumps.I will need something to drag the trees out and it will take me a while (I'm not a spring chicken). The cost to rent gets pretty steep pretty quick if I keep it very long.

What I'm looking for now would be some help identifying what features I need in order to do the work I think I'm going to be doing. What are the pros and cons of the different transmission types. What kind of hydraulics should I look for?
etc etc etc

Most of the dealership's or rental businesses up here will allow you to pick up a tractor, etc. on a Friday afternoon (near closing time) and you can bring it back on Monday morning.

Pay for an 8-hour rental and use it for 2 1/2 days. Eight hours on the hour meter is quite a spell sitting in the seat and operating a piece of equipment. So, it's a good idea to have a good project in mind before you rent (or borrow).

However, you also have to recognize or have a good idea of what type, model, size of tractor you think will do the job.

AKfish

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #10  
hmm.. I'd say 25-35 hp. 4wd, possibly hst tranny, loader, and power stering..

soundguy