Recommendation requested

/ Recommendation requested #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm buying a house on 6.3 hilly acres - mostly grass though. It is rather steep in places. Beyond cutting the grass I'd like to have a loader and be able to plow a driveway that is about 1/4 mile of gravel. The driveway itself is fairly level. I figure 4WD is an unnecessary expense...

I was looking around this evening and the Deere 4210 caught my eye, since at some point I'd also like to have a post-hole digger and maybe be able to move some earth a bit. Nothing really heavy-duty is required daily, but I want flexibility and power.

Now, I'm not rich, and the 4210 ain't cheap - any thoughts/suggestions? Is it too much for the task? Beyond that I'm thinking perhaps Kubota - anyone with some insight here could probide a welcome response.

Thx,
MD in VA

/ Recommendation requested
I'm no guru and I'm new out here but I've been trying to effectively plow my 600' driveway with my 8n and a 6' plow... sheer hell... It wouldn't be if it were 4WD... my $.02... go the extra mile and get 4wd. .... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Then again, you do live in VA (looks like)... heck... maybe you can get away with it. I'm in NY... no chance here when you get the snows like we did this past winter...

Hear ya and thanks for the input - we haven't had much snow here in the past few but this year was the exception. So much for the global-warming theorists... You're right BTW in that I'm in Virginia - north end by the to of the state.

As I said, thx. for your $.02

/ Recommendation requested #4  
MikeVA,

Welcome to TBN. Before you know it, we'll be recommending the best tractor for you and you'll be asking about bigger ones! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I figure 4WD is an unnecessary expense... )</font>

I would seriously re-figure that. You mention wanting to use a front end loader (FEL). When the bucket on the FEL is full, there will be very little weight on the rear wheels, hence it's necessary to add ballast on the back. Even so, traction to the rear tires is decreased. Having power delivered to the front wheels gives much better control to the tractor when using the FEL. Also, most of these tractors only have brakes on the rear wheels...having 4WD couples the front and rear wheels together giving you better braking force when engaged.

If your property was flat, then I would say you might want to try to get away without it. I still wouldn't recommend it though, unless you just couldn't afford it. Considering you have "hilly acres", 4WD is a must.

I think you'll hear similar recommendations from others.

Good Luck, and feel free to ask any questions and to search the archives of TBN.

~Rick

Excellent point - I had not considered that the weight in the front would offset the back end - I was thinking more in terms of mowing rather than the FOL... My searches were saying that with 4WD you are actually adding perhaps 15-20% drive power due to the smaller tire size - but that doesn't take into consideration load-weight up front. I can easily see your point. Thanks for the tip = I'm sure I'll have a few other items pop up before I buy, and it's nice to know that there are people out there who will freely share opinions and truly know a heck of a lot more than I on the subject :)

/ Recommendation requested #6  
Since I don't use my tractor for mowing, I can't really speak from experience on mowing issues, but I believe I've read from many that do mow on hills that engaging 4WD allows them to mow steeper hills with more confidence. Generally, for mowing on the flats, 4WD could be disengaged, but when on hills, it's quite a benefit to help the tractor get its power to the ground.

~Rick

/ Recommendation requested #7  
Along with the FEL issue... 4wd really compensates for a lighter machine (such as your average cut). With a large ag machine, you can weight down the rear tires to gain the traction that you need... but with the average tractor used to mow yards & such (work around the house) large amounts of weight lead to other problems. So most go with a lighter machine, but have 4wd to get them through the tough stuff.

/ Recommendation requested #8  
moving any snow, moving dirt, going up and down hills. u do need 4wd on samller tractors. the increase in performance is astounding. do your self a favor and rethink that part of your purchase.

/ Recommendation requested #9  
Don't forget the resale aspect. 4WD greatly impacts the value in the used market. In some cases the difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive used tractors is more than the 4WD option when the tractor was new.

/ Recommendation requested #10  
If you are going to have a FEL I think 4WD is a must. It makes quite a difference when digging into a pile of material such as dirt or gravel to have 4WD working for you. It is even more beneficial if you are using your FEL to dig in the dirt or to push and shove on heavy objects such as logs. Having 4WD is kinda like giving your tractor a shot of steroids when it needs it!