NEWB Looking for advice - new/used tractor

/ NEWB Looking for advice - new/used tractor #1  

engrgrad

Tractor
NEWB
Hello all,

NEWB here to the site and I have been following this forum for over a year now. I have to say I am impressed by the wealth of knowledge that the site offers to NEWBs.

Anyways, I have a typical NEWB question for the experts here. Although I am not buying for at least 8 months or so, I am following everyone's advice here and getting my research done early so that I can make somewhat intelligent choices in the future. I have browsed the various threads and have some ideas. I am building a new house here in SE Michigan and will require some form of compact/subcompact tractor.

Basically, I have a 3-acre lot and my needs will be primarily be focused on grass cutting about 1/2 of that (1.5 to 2 acres) and snowblowing my driveway which will be about 250-300 feet long. The driveway will have a long stretch with a 6% grade. Other ancillary uses for this equipment would be to move gravel/soil/mulch with the FEL. In essence, any machine purchased would probably have an FEL and a mower deck. There may be other activities, but I cannot think of them right now.

It is important to note that the remainder of the site (1.5 acres or so) has some steep slopes (i.e., around 1V:3H - with differences in elevation of as much as 10 feet) that will require maintenance as it is covered by tall meadow grasses and will require occasional cutting.

I am interested in the Kubota B and BX line but I am concerned about the BX's lack of clearance w/regards to my slopes. 4WD appears to me to be somewhat of an asset due to the differences in elevation and driveway grade. Right now, if I absolutely had to buy new, I would perhaps gravitate towards the BX2320. I would rather be a little big than too small.

I was figuring that if circumstances do not permit me to buy new, I would try to stick to a budget of about 6-8K and look at something sized similarly to the Ford 1XXX series (such as a Ford 1220 or 1520) NH TC29. However, my only problem is to find a machine with a FEL and a mower deck in a package. This is why I am staring early with my research.

What do you guys think? Any redirect on my logic or assumptions are appreciated.

Thanks

/ NEWB Looking for advice - new/used tractor #2  
My personal opinion would be to go with the BX, JD 1026 or something like that in any other brand. I have owned two BXs and still own a BX2660 and we also have a John Deere 2305 n another property.

I did look long and hard at the B Series, but after looking at them side by side and getting on and off etc., we went with another BX and have been very happy with our choice.

There are some very happy B Series owners on here with some having owned both. Some report more turf damage with the B Series.

Do a test of both, look at your property overall and then go from there.

I did buy a set of Bro Tek plates for mine as the ground clearance is about 8" and I do go into the woods. You will not need plates on the JD1026.

There is an old thread on here asking which is better and it is pretty good, you might be able to find it by using the search feature.

Good luck.

/ NEWB Looking for advice - new/used tractor #3  
I went through the same research process as you, for very similar needs.
I had a narrowed down to 3 machines, a Massey Ferguson GC2610, Kabota Bx2500, and the Mahindra 1816 .

I ended up choosing the Massey Ferguson, after much debate and comparison.
It seemed very high quality, and pricing/features was best for me.
Got FEL Backhoe MMM tiller PHD with it.

I expect to get it late this week.

/ NEWB Looking for advice - new/used tractor #4  
I'm going to ditto TripleR's statements. Kubota BX or JD 1026r would be perfect for you. If you really want to get more tractor though for the fun of it a Kubota B or JD 2x20 (Or comparable series on any other brand...)

Oh, and WELCOME!:thumbsup:

/ NEWB Looking for advice - new/used tractor
Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I am thinking I am going in that direction. The only thing that would make me go to a B model at this point would be for the increased clearance.

I will have to go and see both in person. I have already put the bug in my wife's ear about it.

Thanks and looking forward to lurking further on the website browsing the various forums.

/ NEWB Looking for advice - new/used tractor #6  
Why not put a finish mower on the 3-point instead of a deck mower? It seems like deck mowers are a pain in that they get in the way of other uses and people end up putting them on/taking them off alot.

If I were you, I'd get the biggest, nicest, newest tractor you could afford and get the finish mower. The extra power of a 30 hp class tractor is nice for unforseen uses down the road...

/ NEWB Looking for advice - new/used tractor #7  
Putting a MMM deck on most tractors isn't the easiest, but if you have a JD, you can get the auto-connect and not have to do anything but drive over. Really cool feature! If your taking the deck on and off a lot JD is the way to go, or any implements for that matter. The way they've designed their new "Auto-connect" systems is incredible. Nearly everything on it comes on and off without leaving the seat. FEL comes off with a push of two levers with your foot. The auto connect in the rear for 3PH implements - even with a PTO. I really like the new 1 series JD's, have a lot of really nice new features that you don't see elsewhere. My vote obviously goes toward the 1 series but other makes make similar tractors, just don't seem to have all the "goodies":thumbsup: (BTW, if you go for the JD don't get the 1023e, go for the 1026r, a lot nicer, more comfort features for the price...)

1 series at a farm show
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MuTsZjU8YI]John Deere Subcompact 1 Series Tractor - YouTube[/ame]

Connecting the deck
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O461YlJrjO8&list=FLxeAYuhwAPAsSP7Gtfeml0g&index=5&feature=plpp_video]John Deere AutoConnect Feature on Sub-Compact Tractor - YouTube[/ame]

/ NEWB Looking for advice - new/used tractor #8  
If mowing is a primary use a sub compact seems like the right fit. They can do an amazing amount of work. The ground clearance issue is only an issue if you take it off road, or perhaps door some tall brush hogging. On steep hills I would prefer a lower center of gravity.

/ NEWB Looking for advice - new/used tractor #9  
Just FYI - I bought a used B7200 in really nice shape for about $6K so I could learn what these machines are all about and learn what my true needs really are before buying new!
To me, the BX has too little clearance (smaller tires) even though they are very capable machines.
I also though the B7200 would not have enough power to make me happy (rated at 17HP @ 2500 RPM).
I may never get a new tractor just because this one does what I need.
After three years usage the only thing I think it lacks for what I do with it is a nice warm cab in the winter.
Think about a used B (or similar machine) as a learning experience and have fun doing it!

/ NEWB Looking for advice - new/used tractor
Gentlemen,

All good points indeed.

Thanks for everyone's help.

If I have any more questions, I will be sure to ask!