do not buy too big of tractor!

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #31  
Found your post of interest since I am also looking at the B7800 vs the TC30. I have 34 acres of which about half is too steep to do much with. At first I thought I would get something along the lines of a Magnatrac, but the maintenance issues scared me off. One of the Kubota dealers in my area came out and said he thought the 7800 would be okay for me on the flatter areas that I want to work on. You mentioned that you found the 7800 a "bit light" for you. I know the TC30 has more Ptp horsepower and weighs more. Does that translate to any better stability on hills?

I've read the posts on the Magnatrac and the PowerTrac equipment. Unfortunately they both sound like they're for someone more mechanically inclined than myself, so I'm trying to figure which major brand wheeled compact tractor (if any) would be better/safer in the hills.

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #32  
<font color="blue">I have 34 acres of which about half is too steep to do much with... </font>

Pubfarm,

That leaves 17 acres...if I were you I would look at the L3130 or 3430. cost a few thousand more than the b7800, but seems like you get about twice the tractor for a few thousand more.

That is what it looks like from my perspective...B2910 on 3.7 acres here. The 3130 would not work for me on my size property, but if I had 17 usable acres...bring on that 3130 or 3430!

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #33  
Henro:

What he really needs for that acreage is a 5030 like mine. All he need is good credit or a big wallet. If he has neither, he can print the attachment and hang it on the garage wall for sometime later on...................

Daryl
Forage Services, L.P.

Attachments

• 259994-3050.jpg
    259994-3050.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 203
   / do not buy too big of tractor! #34  
move this around[safley][5]a smaller tractor would have worked better as a combo riding mower/tractor.

No kidding, a 3830 is a kinda big riding mower, maybe you can trade it in. I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with such an expensive purchase but as one who has toted the "small is good" banner through out many battles I sympathise with you. Maybe you can trade it in on a more reasonable machine. Good luck. J

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #35  
BWS,
I have found the same problem with my Kubota 3430 w/ cab. It tips in at about 5000lbs with the loader and R4s. Trailering this beast is a problem for me now, just exceeds the trailer limit as well as my SUV's towing limits. The loader and tractor is an awesome unit and I love it BUT, it leaves a heavy footprint on my yard when aerating, mowing or just driving across the lawn. I too am having some regrets. With the mowing compromising about 1/2 of my work I think this machine is just a little too big. I had a 2710 and found it a little short on power for landscaping/pulverizing work. I have 2 steep hills that are a big part of my lawn so I need 4WD. Several of my new PTO implements are 6' in size and probably too much for a B2710(22 PTO HP). So I think I have come to a decision that best suits my needs. No one tractor will meet all my needs well. So I talked to my dealer, who sells Kubota and Case/IH(Red New Holland Boomers) CUTs and I think we have come up with an answer for my problem. I am trading in my 3430 with cab and I'm going to lose abot $2000 on my trade and get a Case DX33 and a Kubota F3060 4WD lawnmower. I have tried the mower and it will climb any hill and cuts beautiflly. The DX33 has 28 PTO HP and along with a Woods 1012 loader I should be all set. The tractor itself weighs 1000lbs less than the 3430 w/cab. This will finally meet my needs but it will set me back a bit even with 0% financing. I would not discourage anyone from buying the 3430 - it is an awesome machine and the cab I am really going to miss! In my situation, bigger wasn't better, but 2 different machines were a better option for me.

Thanks for listening and goodluck with your problem.

Jerry

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #36  
Rockdog, sorry to hear you are selling the 3430 cab tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
If you switched to turf tires do you think that would have taken care of your problem?

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #37  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( After seeing a L3130 I concluded it was too much machine for my 3.7 acres. )</font> Henro, do you really think the 3130 is too big? For the difference in price I think the 3130 is the way to go. I'm seriously considering the 3130, HST, with loader and belly mower for my 3 acres. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifGoing to be all lawn. Your thoughts? Thanks in advance. Stanley

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #38  
StanleyinMD,
I doubt it would make that much difference. It isn't leaving the tread marks of an R4 as much as it just sinks into the ground.
Jerry

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #39  
Gee, Guys, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Your making me nervous. Waiting for my L3830 to come in with fel and 509 backhoe.

/ do not buy too big of tractor!
these things[3830 are heavy]i cant imagine even a 3130 as mower unless you are on hardpan.i will use my 3830 till all are heavy work is done and then sell or trade it for a smaller unit in a year or two.probably orange with hst.i cant say enough about how fast the hst helps do things.jmo.made some chain gaurds for are new kk 5' hog.got some wire grass we need to make go away.there will be lots of property work to do before we build our new house so the big tractor will help but looking back i would have picked a b7800 i think and contracted out the bigger work. bws