Buying Advice Last year model?

/ Last year model? #1  

northpolefolks

Bronze Member
So I need you to tell me if I am making a mountain out of a molehill.

I went into the local tractor dealership, in January of 2012. I ended up "ordering" a tractor on January 21st, 2012. The tractor is still enroute via shipping and won't be here until the middle of February based on logistics.

I was talking to the dealer yesterday about what year my tractor model was going to be as my invoice was suspicious. I had every expectation that it would be a 2012 model as I ordered it in 2012, but the dealer said that it was a 2011 model. What tipped me off to the fact is that my invoice did not list a model year, just the model.

I do not know of any changes in the 2011/2012 model so do you think this is a non-issue?

/ Last year model? #2  
That's a tough one isn't it ? I guess you are entitled to a brand new 2012...I mean you ordered it in 2012 so why should you be set back a year right from the start...

OK...that is one side...the other side is ..Did you get a price break for taking a 2011 model year ? Another thing to consider and look into would be have there been any changes in your model from the 2011 model to the 2012 model...? If so...some of the changes could be for the better or for the worse...Hard to say until you research the difference, maybe on the internet or calling another dealer and without telling them about your order and tractor...Just asking them the difference in the two model years, that way you get the info. from a disinterested party...Like I said it is a tough one ...Good Luck.

/ Last year model? #3  
I am under the impression that the term "model year" doesn't mean very much in the tractor world. A certain model (JD 3320, for instance) is made for several years before a new generation replaces it. When that happens, the new version gets a new model number.

There are production changes during the life of the model. For instance, my JD 4600 has a later (and better) steering system than the earlier JD 4600's. These production changes are not generally tied to model years and you have to use the serial number to look up in the maker's parts listings to verify which version you have.

Chances are that the tractor you ordered had already been built when the order was placed. It may get an option or two added before shipment, depending what you ordered.

Unless the tractor, as delivered, is somehow different than what you understood it to be when you ordered, I would consider the model year to be a non-issue.

Enjoy your new tractor!

/ Last year model? #4  
There are several older threads on this and tractors go by model and model designations. The Kubota GL40 Series had a -1, -2 and -3 in their lineup as minor changes were made.

Unless there is a change in features/designations the year a tractor was made is essentially meaningless unless it had sat out in the elements. Of the two new tractors we bought in the last few years, we made no effort to determine date of manufacture.

/ Last year model?
From what I can gather the 2012/2011 issue is not a concern. I just spoke with my dealer (this is sunday morning and he called/It's -25 below here so no church this morning) and he said that the brand tractor I bought, LS, does not sell "next years model" until that year. If you buy a 2012 model, it was actually built and put together in 2012. The 2012's won't be on the floor until mid to late spring.

No known changes to my model between 2011 and 2012. With the smaller sub-compat and compact models changes, such as bells and whistles, can be frequent. On the utility models, while they have the comfort's of the smaller ones, they don't change as often.

Looks to not be an issue. Thanks for the feedback.

/ Last year model? #6  
Man, I don't think I could handle those temperatures.

Enjoy your new tractor and don't forget the pictures when you get it.:thumbsup:

/ Last year model?
I will send pictures when it arrives.

The temperatures are no doubt something to take seriously. It is worth it though to live where we live. Harder on the livestock and equipment no doubt but the job market is strong.

Living here is like living down south 50 years ago. More public land than you can find in a lifetime, don't have to lock your doors (but we exercise the 2nd ammendment to the fullest) and most importantly my sons are growing up in the outdoors where I dreamed about growing up. You can't buy that.

Now when I hit retirement my wife and I will no doubt have a place down in a warmer climate as you don't see many elderly folks out in -20.

/ Last year model? #8  
I'm 64 and retired, so you sure wouldn't see me up there. I was lucky enough however to have grown up on a farm in the good old days when it was the way it is now up there.

/ Last year model? #9  
the tractor model year changes when they run out of tractors.an have to build or ship some more.i say my tractor is a 2010 because thats when i bought it an it was on the lot.

/ Last year model? #10  
So I need you to tell me if I am making a mountain out of a molehill.

I went into the local tractor dealership, in January of 2012. I ended up "ordering" a tractor on January 21st, 2012. The tractor is still enroute via shipping and won't be here until the middle of February based on logistics.

I was talking to the dealer yesterday about what year my tractor model was going to be as my invoice was suspicious. I had every expectation that it would be a 2012 model as I ordered it in 2012, but the dealer said that it was a 2011 model. What tipped me off to the fact is that my invoice did not list a model year, just the model.

I do not know of any changes in the 2011/2012 model so do you think this is a non-issue?

If that is the biggest problem you have in your life you are a very lucky man.
So what if a decal or two didn't get a "model year upgrade" ?
It is a tractor, only a tractor.
Thirty years from now nobody will know the differences.

If you bought it as a shiny driveway ornament and plan to wax the rims every week-end to impress neighbors then sell it in two years... that would be different and I would retract.

Yeah, I envy you.