Need Tractor But....

/ Need Tractor But.... #1  

jsduke

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT-425 (Former Kubota L3130 HST)
Greetings All,

I've got apprx. 9+ acres(mostly wooded and brushy) with some steep terrain. There is a lot of laying tree tops and blowdown as well. My backyard is sloped has a stable sinkhole(needs fill) and I'm losing soil(settling and erosion). I also have a 500+ ft. gravel drive. Lost some serious $$$ on a completely non-productive money pit crawler. Gonna be a tough sell with my better half. I've been reading all the posts (and many of the links) but need as much advice as you fine
folks can lend!

Great site!

duke.

p.s. went to Kubota dlr. / got brochures. Must be the land
of Kubota. 3 dlrs. local.

/ Need Tractor But.... #3  
If you have 9 ac... you need a tractor.. So what do you have now? Some kind of skidsteer?

Soundguy

/ Need Tractor But....
Live south of Altoona. The crawler is gone. I have an ATV and
a couple of walk behind mowers.

duke.

/ Need Tractor But.... #5  
I'm north of Dubois.

From the description of your property, sounds like a 4wd with a loader. Something big enough to run a bush hog, but small enough negotiate.
I'm only familiar with JD. Take a look at the 4000 series. If you want a little smaller, the 2000 series.

JD compact diesels

/ Need Tractor But.... #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm north of DuBois )</font>

Hello,
I was just in DuBios a few days ago. I am from Clarion.

/ Need Tractor But.... #7  
WELCOME TO THE FORUM; think u might want to look in the 24 to 30 hp range, fwd and loader, my advice is to look into hydo, i love it, but u may prefer gear! also be sure u get the type tires that will best fit u uses! for me R4"s are great. will not recomend brand that is for u to decide! go with the one that fits u best.

/ Need Tractor But.... #8  
Welcome Duke. I live a few miles south of Breezewood and got a great deal at McCoy's Equipment in New Paris off of I-99 (Rt56). Let me know if I can be of assistance. Again welcome aboard. This is a great resource!!

Ken

/ Need Tractor But....
???

With the slopes wouldn't a larger kubota (3130) be a better choice than say a 2910/7800 for stability and capability (not to mention loader/ box blade performance)? But then there is the question of maneuverability and storage. With my fairly dense wooded area (75%+ overall) will the larger machine be nimble/small enough? I don't have a garage or outbuilding (not in budget either). It's either under an overhang of the house (requires moving deck support) or strictly tarp city (?!?).

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

duke.

P.S. Ken, I've been to McCoy's. Are they good people? How about their pricing and service. I have no more tolerance for hassles or scams. Thanks, I need all the help I
can get.

/ Need Tractor But.... #10  
Re: ???

I had an L2900 which is just a little smaller than the L3130. I live on 10 acres and have about an 1 of mowing. I needed a little smaller tractor for mowing. The B2910 is perfect. It has all the power that the L2900 had but just a little more compact. I would narrow it down first to a brand. Than pick to sizes that you want. Compare prices and features. The information is here but you have to decide what you want.