decisions, decisions

/ decisions, decisions #1  

sendero

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
I mentioned last week that I am looking for my first tractor. I was thinking of a used one, maybe 2-3 years old. Some suggested that I might as well go new. Money is an issue, but the more I look around the more I agree with them.

The used tractors I've seen at the "used tractor lots" are well used. And they are not that much discounted from new.

I needed to visit my brother in Ft. Worth yesterday, so I took the opportunity to visit a Kioti dealer. Having only vague directions I missed them and after a few miles I knew I'd gone too far but saw another dealer. I pulled in and asked them where so&so was, he laughed and said about 4 miles back. But while you are here - why not take a look at the Century?

I tell ya, I don't know much about tractors but those Century machines are *nice*. I looked at a 2535 and a 3035. Then I went to the Kioti place and checked out the 3054 and DK35.

It is not going to be easy to decide among these machines, they all have things going for them. Will I wind up flipping a coin? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ decisions, decisions #2  
Sendero,

That Century is just like the Branson. I test drove one of them and was impressed. Unfortunately I had already bought or I think I would be owning one. Kioti is good also and your right, you can probably get one of them new cheaper than one of the big three used.

murph

/ decisions, decisions #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( used. And they are not that much discounted from new. )</font>
Unlike cars, etc., tractors seem to hold their value very well.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Will I wind up flipping a coin? )</font>
You will hear over and over again: When making a decision, go with the best dealer. He/she will make all the difference.

I have to chime in and say that I looked at both Kioti and Branson too and found them to be excellent units. Hard choices, but it's fun deciding!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Mark

/ decisions, decisions
That (go by dealer) makes sense. Either tractor would probably do the job well.

I was especially impressed with the Century's heavy construction, that is one solid tractor. And I sure love the Red /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. OTOH, the Kioti has some cool ease-of-use features on it's 3-pt hitch that I don't think the Century had. I've never used a tractor but I know what a pain in the @#$ is can be to get two heavy objects lined up to pin them together.

I would probably not be buying the tractor in Ft Worth, too far from my place. There is a Kioti dealer 6 miles from my land and 2 Century dealers within 20 miles... will be visiting them all soon!

/ decisions, decisions #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the Kioti has some cool ease-of-use features on it's 3-pt hitch that I don't think the Century had. )</font>

I know what you mean: my NH has extendable link ends and they are a great help in hooking up implements, especially when you are by yourself. The Kioti has them standard, which IMHO all modern tractors should.

That being said, however, for $181 at Tractor Supply Co you can buy a Quick Hitch (plus $37 per implement for adapters) and hook up your implements even easier on the Century/Branson.

My price quotes showed up to $2200 saving of Branson/Century over Kioti, which would more than have made up the QH plus buy me some more implements.....

So, if you can save some $, make hookups easier, and STILL have a good dealer.... Make sure to check out the Kioti and Other Brands forums for more opinions of the two lines......

Mark

/ decisions, decisions #6  
You are looking at nice tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I considered both, but decided to go with Mahindra. It was a difficult choice, and quite frankly, based on my needs/uses, Mahindra only edged out the others by the slimmest of margins (e.g. if my situation had been a little different, I can easily see myself having gone with either of the other brands you are looking at.)

Before you pull the trigger, visit multiple dealerships and ride/operate the tractors - multiple times. (The Mahindra/Kioti dealer I had actually had me fill in some pot-holes on his lot with the FEL! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif A "test drive" that benefitted us both!!!) I suspect that you will start to find nuances that appeal/distract from the different brands and start to gravitate to one over the others.

Dealer relationship wasn't the "top" priority for me as others suggest. Yes, I wanted to purchase from a reputable dealer, but I'm always kindof surprised when folks say that is the most important thing. If it is a new tractor, assuming it is a good shop, it should be serviced at the same quality levels regardless of if you purchased it there or not. (e.g. our Dodge dealership services our vehicle just fine even though we bought it from a different dealership.)

But to me, taking a tractor in to the shop is (and should be) a VERY infrequent task (i.e. tractors should be working, not breaking.). My tractor doesn't go to the shop often (heck, only once, and that was mainly for regular maintenance that I was too lazy to do) and since I don't hang out at the tractor shop to drink morning coffee, the whole "long term" relationship thing always seemed like no big deal. For me, I choose to save thousands by ditching the “good relationship” with the closest dealer. Maybe your local dealer will have the best price, which would be great, but in my opinion, the whole “dealer relationship” thing is WAYYYY over-rated.

Anyway, buy where you want, and buy what you want. Just try and avoid the impulse purchase and try ‘em all on for size. I suspect you will be much more confident and happy with your purchase long term if you go that route instead of going with 'ol George Washington. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ decisions, decisions #7  
Sendero, No one thing will probably be the deciding factor. I ended up with three pieces of the pie. Tractor, was it what I wanted and does it fit my requirements? Price/Financing, was the price attractive and could I get good financing? Dealer, Did I feel comfortable dealing with him and was I confident that if I DID have a problem there wouldn't be a hassle?
You're lucky, you have two top brands at reasonable prices to choose from. I to found the Century a better deal after I almost pulled the trigger on a Kioti. Kioti had a huge price increase last October and to me, put them out of contention. I found the Century 2535 a few thousand less than the DK35. (I ended up with a 3045) That more than offsets the few additional features the Kioti has, namely Independent PTO and adjustable end links. The fun is just starting /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Pacesetter

/ decisions, decisions
Thanks for the thoughts, and I agree with all of ya /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Dealer is important, but not the only thing. After thinking about it, I figure that I might "veto" a dealer - if they just left me worrying, but I wouldn't buy a particular tractor just because I liked the dealer.

Pricewise, there really isn't a huge difference. I got quoted:

2535 w c-30 loader $15K
3035 w c-40 loader $16K
LK3054 w 128 loader $14K
DK35 w 1450 loader $16.5K

As far as I can tell, those are fair prices all around. I'm wondering if there is any negotiating room, I'll probably find out /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Would like to get them to throw in some R4s.

I'm hoping to visit the dealers near my land this weekend. At this point it won't be long before I'll be itching to make the deal /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif But then I'm also worrying now that for my first tractor maybe I'm getting carried away. But on the other hand, I want to buy something that I'll have a very long time. Dang, I sound like a woman shopping for shoes!

/ decisions, decisions #9  
Sendero,

You owe it to yourself to go by one of the Zimmerer Kubota dealerships and drive the L3x30 before you make any final decisions.