Potential Dangers of Purchasing Online

/ Potential Dangers of Purchasing Online #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
Earlier today, I came across another thread on TBN, where a member talks about the problems they encountered after purchasing a used tractor online, sight unseen. Their thread referred to another thread on another forum which linked to a Youtube video of the tractor prior to purchase. Based on the problems that they encountered I decided to create this thread to highlight the potential dangers of purchasing online.

Please note that for the purposes of this thread the brand and model doesn't matter because it could have been any tractor. At first glance, the tractor in the video below looks fine but if you look closer you may notice that something is wrong, can you spot it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSa1VpDOg9M]Kubota B1750 Tractor with Loader - YouTube[/ame]

Did you spot the problem? I watched the video after reading about the problems the tractor had and didn't see it right away myself. You have to watch very closely. This is a prime example of why one should always evaluate any potential used tractor purchase in person, by test driving it, preferably under actual operating conditions, prior to purchase. Assume nothing, second guess everything, and trust noone.

Here is a link to the other thread on TBN which discusses the ongoing repairs being made to the tractor.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/232431-my-kubota-rebuild.html

Last edited:
   / Potential Dangers of Purchasing Online #2  
Tractor wasnt ever put under a load,clutch could be weak. I have a friend trying to sell his and clutch is weak couldnt ever tell,unless you try and load the bucket. But he's a good guy thats the first thing he admits,maybe thats why it hasnt sold but he could put it in low 4th a run it threw auction and knowone would ever know.He is just going to fix it,then try and sell again but it is going to cost some money to get it done...$5,000 dollar tractor going to turn into $7,000 dollar tractor after all done

/ Potential Dangers of Purchasing Online #3  
Tractor wasnt ever put under a load,clutch could be weak. I have a friend trying to sell his and clutch is weak couldnt ever tell,unless you try and load the bucket. But he's a good guy thats the first thing he admits,maybe thats why it hasnt sold but he could put it in low 4th a run it threw auction and knowone would ever know.He is just going to fix it,then try and sell again but it is going to cost some money to get it done...$5,000 dollar tractor going to turn into $7,000 dollar tractor after all done

if you take to the right auction the yard guys will test it an put it under load.an call what they think is wrong with it.

/ Potential Dangers of Purchasing Online #4  
I could only watch 54 sec. and I seen 2 thing. Wet spot under tire and he had amost 1 turn of ply in the steering. I didn't have the time to watch it all, as it was it took over 1/2 hr just for me to load the 54 sec.

/ Potential Dangers of Purchasing Online #5  
if you take to the right auction the yard guys will test it an put it under load.an call what they think is wrong with it.

That would be great if all would do that. Make it were you had to drop tractor off day before and let them work it and tell any issue they incountered with the unit.

/ Potential Dangers of Purchasing Online #6  
Wet spot when he started and another when he stopped to show PTO.

/ Potential Dangers of Purchasing Online #7  
And:

Broken left tail light

Top link used for adjustable side link

/ Potential Dangers of Purchasing Online
Watch the middle of the tractor in the first video, just as the FEL reaches full height, then again as he lifts the tractor with it.

Here is video of a different but very similar tractor for comparison.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLsj7fw48DQ]Kubota B1750 HST 4x4 1419 HRS - YouTube[/ame]

/ Potential Dangers of Purchasing Online #9  
Since I don't have much tractor experience, I don't know exactly how things like the body and loader frame are mounted. That said, I see some weird independent movement of the front and back of that rig as the loader is cycled. Cracked frame/case?

/ Potential Dangers of Purchasing Online #10  
It looks like the tractor is broken in the middle.

Bellhousing cracked?

Loose bolts from the bellhousing to engine or to the trans?