What is the deal with tractor websites?

/ What is the deal with tractor websites? #1  

Catfish Man

Silver Member
I'm trying to build and compare tractors over the internet, every tractor manufacturer website I have been to has major problems.

John Deere - can't get their "build my tractor" to work at all

New Holland - got the tractor built, can't easily add the implements I want and get it all in one easy quote. Get an error message when I try to send it to dealers for a quote.

Massey Ferguson - General poor website design, I didn't even see a "build my tractor option"

Kubota - I'm having the best luck navigating their website, but it leaves a lot to be desired, definitely not an award winning website.

You would think major corporations could be able to hire some decent website builders.

/ What is the deal with tractor websites? #2  
IMO they all want you to walk into a dealership and get prices directly from them. Of course once at the dealer they can help nudge you towards spending a little extra money and tell you why their brand is the best.

/ What is the deal with tractor websites? #3  
I built a massey last night, try again.

/ What is the deal with tractor websites?
IMO they all want you to walk into a dealership and get prices directly from them. Of course once at the dealer they can help nudge you towards spending a little extra money and tell you why their brand is the best.

Well they are out of luck, that's not how I do business, my free time is limited, but I have lots of computer time. I will get quotes on what I'm interested in over the internet then visit the dealerships that are willing to play ball.

I'm headed back to the MF website to try again, maybe I overlooked it, I was frustrated before I got there.

/ What is the deal with tractor websites? #5  
Auto sites are no better!
But then you really need to take a test drive- preferably a looong one- to see if the machine does what the adverts say.
I would rent a car for the weekend, and ditto a tractor, before taking on 4 or 5 years of payments.

Oh I plan on checking them out in person, but I want to weed out the dealers that are not wanting to deal before I make my personal visits.

I found the MF builder and got it to work

Manually configured a JD

Sent for prices on Kubota, JD, NH, and MF

/ What is the deal with tractor websites? #8  
JD's builder is currently down. I don't know why. I've had pretty good luck with it in the past and is much more detailed than the other manufacturers, but it does seem like it is always having problems.

/ What is the deal with tractor websites? #9  

One would think something as simple as a getting a price wouldn't be such a hassle but more often than not, it is.

In fact, nothing gets my dander up quicker than the pricing games many dealers manufacturers continue to insist on playing, especially the dreadded "call for price" seen on so many advertisements. To me, "call for price" translates into NO SALE because I'm not calling.

/ What is the deal with tractor websites? #10  
One would think something as simple as a getting a price wouldn't be such a hassle but more often than not, it is.

In fact, nothing gets my dander up quicker than the pricing games many dealers manufacturers continue to insist on playing, especially the dreadded "call for price" seen on so many advertisements. To me, "call for price" translates into NO SALE because I'm not calling.

To me, call for price translate to the dealer saying were pricing this so ridiculously high that if we showed the price you'd be stupid to want it so we're going to make you call and sucker you in... Hate those. Just tell me the dad gum price!