Comparison John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #1  

mach1mason

Tractor
John Deere 2520 CUT
Hello- This is my first post on this forum, so please excuse my limited tractor knowledge. I have been reading reviews on this site but would like more insite for my applications.

I just had a home built in northern Ohio. It sits on 5 acres and has a 700 ft stone driveway. The land has a large (5ft deep x 100 wide) swale with no other hills or trees as of yet. I would like feedback on what tractor would be the best purchase for my size land and applications. What horsepower is required and purchasing new vs used tractors?

1. mowing: 5 acres
2. snow removal? What is the best way to remove on stone driveway?
3. loader for landscape mulch
4. tiller for garden
5. fill pot holes in driveway
6. possibly install landscaping for house

Thanks for any info!

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #2  
What's your budget?

I'd go 2320-2520 size with fel. I would use a z turn mower instead of a mmm( faster/More fun. Wide back blade for quick snow removal and driveway maintaince. Add a blower down the road.
I have 7.5a and I feel this set up work great for me.
GO GREEN OR GO HOME!!!:D

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #4  
Welcome to TBN, Where at in Ohio? I'm from Medina

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres
Budget for tractor 20k. I was thinking the same about the zero turn, but would have to wait a couple years for the cash. My concern is about snow removal, does the 2x20 hava enough balls? Being that I would have to mow with the tractor for a couple years would you get turf or R4 tires?

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres
Murhpy - Near Sandusky

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #7  
For tilling and dirt moving, you definitely want the R4s. Most of us think they are fine for mowing as long as you don't need to mow wet areas.

I've got the 2320 but I think you might want to look at the 2520 for your work. I don't think you need the 3x series and probably wouldn't want it for mowing.

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #8  
2x20 definitely has what it needs to plow. A gravel drive the best thing is a snowblower, they are the most expensive option but they don't tear up the drive like the others. A 2520 with a blower and a MMM (and of course a FEL) would be pushing your budget, but I think you could make do. A box blade would be very good for leveling the drive as well.

If you really want me to spend your money I'd say a nice 3520 with a cab 300CX loader front snow blower, top n tilt, hydraulic box blade and a nice zero turn would do:D But then you in the neighborhood of $35k. Definitely overkill though. 2x20 would suit your needs just fine, amazing how much little machines can do now.

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #9  
My son-in-law had a similar need....but he also has 5 acres of orchard. He bought a 2720 and 200cx loader along with a front mounted snow blower and a 5' KK tiller and a box blade and a ballast box. I believe he will buy a flail mower for the 3 point for his orchard mowing needs....and he plans to mow his lawn with a zero turn. I think this mower combination makes more sense than a deck.

I think he has a bit over 20k invested before the flail mower and zero turn. He chose the extra hp due to snow blowing wants / needs. (I thought he had enough power with the 2520, but its his decision ;)).

OH...he went with the turf tires.....I think they are better in snow....and no chains are needed. You dont need much traction with a tiller or a mower. (His loader work is limited.) 4WD takes care of most traction issues.

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #10  
I have turf on the 2305 and r4s on the 2320. I like the turfs better! Better on snow and ice, easier on the grass. Tilling is fine with the turfs. A local snow removal (Fargo garden hut) convinced me that turfs were better.....I agree. He sells cub cadet and operates a side business as well.

As far as the zturn mower, the mmm will cost you around 3k and you can get the z465 for about 5k. Plus you might get 500$ off for loyality. Fiance the whole thing then you have the perfect set up. Don't worry about diesel in the mower, I was told the ztracks were rated at minimum for 800hrs and you might use 50 hrs per year. It will last a long time.

Stay green!!!:D