Tractor Sizing New To Tractors - and rural life

/ New To Tractors - and rural life #1  

lantxinNETX

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035 HST, Bradco 485 Backhoe
This is my first post here. Just beginning the process of deciding on a tractor. My wife and I are the new proud owners of 29 acres in SE Oklahoma. About 6-8 acres have been cleared. Except for a 1 acre pond, the rest is woods. We plan on building a house on this land - but the site we want to build on is currently in the woods! Currently live in north Texas. Will only be in SE OK on weekends and a couple of weeks a year for the next 3-4 years.

Except for clearing the homesite proper and improving some of the trails that run thru the property, we don't intend to do any more heavy-duty clearing of the trees.

Right now there is about 200 feet of gravel roadway. Ultimately this will be extended to 800-1000 feet total.

There is going to be some areas set aside for food crops, an orchard, etc. And I will end up with probably 5 or so acres of open land to keep rough-cut.

I've been looking on line, trying to just get a handle on 'what's out there'. Seems the JD 2000 Series (or something similar by others) would fit the bill.

My budget is flexible - my intention is to buy the RIGHT tractor, not end up having to go back after a year or so and trade up because I bought something underpowered.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. And I already can tell that I will learn a lot from the rest of you!

Thanks in advance!

Martin

/ New To Tractors - and rural life #2  
Congrates on the new place:thumbsup: Ever think about renting around a 30hp tractor? Do the rough stuff with it,so the wear and tear is on it and you would kinda get an idea of what size tractor you would be happy with. May also see that after you used the rented tractor to get the big stuff done,that a slightly smaller tractor will work for you,plus you keep the new on yours for alot longer(instead of putting it in the woods right off)..

/ New To Tractors - and rural life #3  
Welcome lantixnok, and congrats on the place!

Foreman already gave some good advice. Since you are a tractor virgin the best idea would be to rent and try out a size that you think may work. Not only will you be able to get a feel of how tractors work, but what each size will and won't do. Every tractor has it's limitations.

Your statement of the 2x20 series Deere is a very good start. They are excellent, very capable tractors. If you plan to only use your tractor for light work and hiring out most of the clearing, leveling and such I think it will suit your needs, but if you plan to try and get a lot of work done, especially on your limited time frame, you will want to bump up to a 3x20

Good luck on your search, you will find thousands of very informed and helpful folk here on TBN to guide you in the right direction:thumbsup:

/ New To Tractors - and rural life #4  
if looking for a good used tractor there is one of the largest monthly tractor auctions in the US in idabel ok which is in se ok

/ New To Tractors - and rural life #5  
Hang out on this website and you will find plenty help and answers. Also check out the tractor review section when you settle on a tractor size, plenty opinions........

/ New To Tractors - and rural life #6  
Pretty much agree with Martian and foreman Etexas, it really helps to have a baseline experience for comparison and evaluation.

Buying just the right tractor can be hard even for those of us with experience, it is really intimidating for those new to tractors.

/ New To Tractors - and rural life #7  
Where in SE Oklahoma is this land?

/ New To Tractors - and rural life
Just south of Soper

/ New To Tractors - and rural life #9  
x3 on try before you buy even though I have had several old iron tractors I did do a rental on a kubota l3200 su to help me decide on what size new tractor I wanted. they L3200 did what I wanted hp wise it was too small of a frame to be comfortable while using. I ended up looking a large frame JD and kubota's buying a L5740